U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 05:56 PM

33 posts, read 37,237 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a sweet location, probably near Westport. How much is rent in westport for a pretty nice place (1/2 bedroom apartment, maybe a house, iunno i just need an idea).

Also, what about the rest of the city? Any data regarding rents is appreciated.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 06:15 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,117,962 times
Based on your other posts, Westport area is right in line for you and most in the area wouldn't blink at your lifestyle, however many workplaces do test. Also check Southmoreland hood just to SE of Westport as it is an art institute crowd right down your alley. w39th (Volker/Roanoke) is also heavily altie leaning with lots of cheap ethnic munchies. A handful of head shops in midtown/westport area if that gives you an idea.

Rents are typically $500 to $800 for one bedroom in those areas. Can find plenty for less depending on what you can tolerate.

Here is a guide of city core...
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1238514/pics/bus/maxmwk.gif

Where r u coming from?

Old 11-24-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
Based on your other posts, Westport area is right in line for you and most in the area wouldn't blink at your lifestyle, however many workplaces do test. Also check Southmoreland hood just to SE of Westport as it is an art institute crowd right down your alley. w39th (Volker/Roanoke) is also heavily altie leaning with lots of cheap ethnic munchies. A handful of head shops in midtown/westport area if that gives you an idea.

Rents are typically $500 to $800 for one bedroom in those areas. Can find plenty for less depending on what you can tolerate.

Here is a guide of city core...
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1238514/pics/bus/maxmwk.gif

Where r u coming from?

I'm coming from DC. Are there houses/townhouses in the westport area? I'm looking to share with one roommate, maybe 2. How much would that work itself out to be? I don't want to just "tolerate", I will gladly spend some money to have a nice place in a nice location.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:55 AM

Westport is surrounded by single family home neighborhoods that have 1900-40s era houses with some apt buildings mixed in, KC doesn't have many rowhouses. Check Valentine hood just to N of Westport (above avg housing stock), Plaza Westport hood (upgraded condos mixed with modest apts/homes) just to S of Westport, Southmoreland just to SE has high end to further south and modest further north, mixed in with apts of every variety. To the West is a bit of a walk from center of Westport but you might like Roanoke/Volker area, which has its own strip of eats and funky retail on w39th.

What is considered urbane in KC might feel a little more older inner ring suburbs compared to E Coast. Westport is maybe comparable to Old Town Alexandria area but the center is smaller and less dense and Westport/Midtown has broader income demographics, not as high as Alexandria. The center is 1880s-1920s era, the surrounding housing stock is mostly teens to 40s, some older, only a handful of new buildings.

Edit:

Here's an example of Valentine...
$1395 / 3br - 1750ft² - VALENTINE DISTRICT HOUSE
VALENTINE DISTRICT HOUSE

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/apa/3414903979.html

2br places..
kansas city apts/housing for rent classifieds "valentine" - craigslist

Southmoreland (usually listed as Plaza Westport too)..
$775 / 2br - 1000ft² - Nelson Gallery Historic 6-Plex, very close to MAX stop
Nelson Gallery Historic 6-Plex

Might also check out downtown lofts. Downtown KC has 3 warehouse loft districts, significantly cheaper than what you could find on E Coast, but not as many people live downtown as midtown...
http://www.downtownkc.org/wp-content...ing-Report.pdf

Last edited by xenokc; 11-24-2012 at 12:40 PM..

Old 11-24-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
Westport is surrounded by single family home neighborhoods that have 1900-40s era houses with some apt buildings mixed in, KC doesn't have many rowhouses. Check Valentine hood just to N of Westport (above avg housing stock), Plaza Westport hood (upgraded condos mixed with modest apts/homes) just to S of Westport, Southmoreland just to SE has high end to further south and modest further north, mixed in with apts of every variety. To the West is a bit of a walk from center of Westport but you might like Roanoke/Volker area, which has its own strip of eats and funky retail on w39th.

What is considered urbane in KC might feel a little more older inner ring suburbs compared to E Coast. Westport is maybe comparable to Old Town Alexandria area but the center is smaller and less dense and Westport/Midtown has broader income demographics, not as high as Alexandria. The center is 1880s-1920s era, the surrounding housing stock is mostly teens to 40s, some older, only a handful of new buildings.

Edit:

Here's an example of Valentine...
$1395 / 3br - 1750ft² - VALENTINE DISTRICT HOUSE
VALENTINE DISTRICT HOUSE

Spacious, most of this historic home with great amenities

2br places..
kansas city apts/housing for rent classifieds "valentine" - craigslist

Southmoreland (usually listed as Plaza Westport too)..
$775 / 2br - 1000ft² - Nelson Gallery Historic 6-Plex, very close to MAX stop
Nelson Gallery Historic 6-Plex

Might also check out downtown lofts. Downtown KC has 3 warehouse loft districts, significantly cheaper than what you could find on E Coast, but not as many people live downtown as midtown...
http://www.downtownkc.org/wp-content...ing-Report.pdf

Thanks a lot.

When I visited, Westport felt like a college town area. Is there a neighborhood where this is more true? I'm not looking for a very quiet place, I'd like to be around parties, not just bar scene, if that exists.

Also, can I have your least politically correct assessment of the westport area? eg: avoid ABC street because panhandlers are about. avoid DEF street because theres meth houses around. avoid GHI street because people are.... etc.etc.etc.

I think I want to be walking distance to the bars and stuff at westport

Old 11-24-2012, 03:22 PM

Lawrence (40 miles W of downtown) might be better for you if you want more college party vibe. Panhandlers are where the people are... Downtown, Westport and Plaza and they may approach you outside liquor/convenient stores. I've run into a few walking along Main and Broadway too but they are just a nuisance, not really a problem. I'm more annoyed by people who give to them than the panhandlers themselves - give to a shelter peoples and direct panhandlers there. Meth lab busts seem to happen E Side to outskirts of KC, not much in midtown/downtown stretch - I've heard of some in S Hyde Park near E Side in past. Armour to 39th area of Midtown considered more sketchy than rest of Midtown but significantly improving, not as bad as E Side (E of Troost) - many apts in classic art deco buildings are getting upgraded.

Old 11-24-2012, 05:14 PM

677 posts, read 1,149,661 times
To add a bit more about rents: For a 2 bedroom apartment, prices for a decent place would start about $650, something more high end with amenities could be $900+.

There are numerous 2 bedroom bungalow homes for rent in the West Plaza and Volker areas to the West/South West of Westport. Those tend start at about $900+

Larger 3+ bedroom homes can be found in a number of areas around Westport and the price can have a wide range depending on location and condition. They can go from $1000+

I don't think there is really one area in KC that is 100% college town. Some blocks around Rockhurst University have a high concentration of students and you'll be likely to find numerous parties(it's also right next to UMKC). However, you're a bit further away from Westport or any other bar district.

Around the Art Institute in Southmooreland you will have a high concentration of KCAI students and other college age kids - though they tend to live in apartments - not as many rental homes and house parties in the area.

All the other neighborhoods around Westport in the Midtown area have a more diverse demographic - with a fairly high number of college age, but mixed in the with young professionals, young families, and older folks who have been in the neighborhood for a long time.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:23 PM

I'm NOT looking for a college town, but more of a transition to city life. I enjoyed the westport area when I was there. Thank you guys for your help. I'll ask one final question:

If you were 23 years old, moving to KC, with as much money as you want to spend on rent (ok not like the REALLY nice places [if they exist]) where would you move?

And then answer the same question, but instead of "KC" above, it says "westport"

Thanks again you guys have been very helpful

Old 11-26-2012, 03:55 PM

677 posts, read 1,149,661 times
If I were 23 years old, I would (and did) live in the Westport area.

There are plenty of other good areas for young people in KC: Crossroads, Downtown, River Market, Westside, Columbus Park, Plaza, etc. However, if you are Bohemian and into partying/bar scene, then Westport would be the best fit.

There are a number of neighborhoods around Westport that could work - it's just a matter of finding the right place in the right location for you. The ideal would probably be in Volker, in between Westport and w39th, within walking distance to both.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:56 PM

12,064 posts, read 27,258,470 times
Westport is a fairly small neighborhood, so most of it is really going to be fine.

I wouldn't live northeast of 39th st -- there are some seriously cruddy apartments up there (believe me we looked).

South of Westport road is quite safe, and if you lived anywhere north of St. Luke's Hospital you'd have easy access to the bars. Lots of bungalows and the like in that area.

Southwest Trafficway acts as a significant barrier to Westport access, so if you really want to be walking distance to the Westport scene, I'd stay in Westport proper and not Volker or West Plaza, the neighborhoods just west of Southwest Trafficway. (Though Volker has its own charms aplenty)

The neighborhood deteriorates as you head east; I wouldn't really want a place east of Main.

If I had to pick the best locations in Westport (and this is, of course, assuming there is something in the area to rent) they'd be this:

The couple of streets west of Pennsylvania, south of 39th, east of SW Trafficway and north of Sun Fresh. We lived right here in Westport Manor Apartments and it was damn near perfect. There are several other 4-plexes and the like nearby along with plenty of bungalows.

The couple of streets south of Westport Rd, west of Main, east of Broadway and north of 43rd; something near the Post Office would be great.

Hope that's useful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or