Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 09:34 PM

8 posts, read 19,340 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I have read info about this on this forum in the past, but now I can't find it, so I will pose the question here. Can anyone recommend a high quality, but somewhat low key, singing or choral group? I am a decent singer and really want to work with a good group that will put me in touch with other nice folks who are into making good music. Not Sweet Adelines, but choral singing, sacred, secular or both. I would love a group that has a mix of ages. Some are all students and others are all retirees. I love to hang out with both and I am somewhere in the middle, so I like a mix. I live in Brookside, so I am looking for something right in town, not Johnson County or Lee's Summit.
Thanks for any help you can give!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 06:19 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Given your mention of Sweet Adelines, I'll presume you are female? If so, you might look into the Kansas City Women's Chorus, which is a reasonably diverse choral ensemble, and fits the bill of relaxed attitudes but a serious desire to perform quality concerts. Approx. a hundred singers, definite mix of ages, and perform a wide range of music across the secular-to-sacred spectrum, lots of different genres, languages. In the past, they have performed jointly with members of Heartland Men's Chorus in various venues (the two ensembles share the same artistic director/conductor at this point, and he is gifted/has a devoted fan base among singers and audiences), so there are also opportunities now and then for SATB singing for those who like a mixed choir experience. KCWC also rehearses in Brookside, and have their annual winter concert coming up at the Folly Theater on Dec. 8.

Old 12-08-2012, 05:55 AM

Okay thanks Tabularasa. I guess there aren't many musician types posting here, but I appreciate your suggestion. I had seen that group when I did an internet seach , but was a bit unsure about their spring concert title and wasn't sure it was exactly what I was looking for. And I really was hoping for a mixed choir that sings SATB. But perhaps they are the only game in town for non-professional singers. Seems strange for a city this size, but I can't find anything else.
I appreciate your response.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:08 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
KCWC's concert on Saturday was well-received. Seeing a performance firsthand is probably the best way to get a feel for whether or not a group is one you would be interested in auditioning for...gives you an idea of what the general experience is like, how the conductor relates to the ensemble, what the ensemble's level of seriousness is, etc.

There are various sacred music ensembles that are mixed SATB and focus on polyphony. Musica Sacra is one, affiliated with Rockhurst University's Center for Arts and Letters...the repertoire includes Tallis, Palestrina, and the like, but also up through Renaissance and more contemporary sacred music.

And, obviously the Kansas City Chorale, but that is a fairly stringent audition process and a major commitment...not really going to fit the bill of "low-key ensemble," so much.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:01 PM

1 posts, read 4,222 times
You can audition for Spire Chamber Ensemble, a fairly new group but making a name for itself. They have an amateur and a professional side - occasional performances by the amateur groups and some really big ones like Messiah by hand-selected professionals. In fact, the pro group are doing Messiah today and tomorrow.

My wife is in the amateur (let's say non-professional) group and enjoys it a lot. In spring they are doing St. Matthew's Passion at the Kauffman.

[url=http://www.spirechamberensemble.org/]Spire Chamber Ensemble - Spire Chamber Ensemble[/url]
[url=http://www.spirechamberensemble.org/messiah.html]Messiah - Spire Chamber Ensemble[/url]

Old 12-22-2012, 09:14 AM

Thank you carschar! This looks like a wonderful group. I will investigate.

Old 11-04-2014, 01:50 PM

1 posts, read 3,199 times
Hi Im looking for a similar group , that is non professional and a diverse mix of members. I'm trying to start a rock/pop choir that sing everything from The Beatles, Motown, Elton John and many more classic everyday hit artist.
Its proving rather an up hill climb, possibly due to the genre but I arrived from England 18 months ago, and its hugely popular there.
would love to know what you have found or if you would like to try our group?

Old 01-10-2015, 03:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,958 times
I, too, am a pretty good singer, and would like to find a group. Are you a sight singer?

Old 01-11-2015, 06:16 AM

377 posts, read 569,701 times
There are some others. Musica Vocale is a great one. I know the director and some of the singers. There are the William Baker Festival Singers, which I believe are amateurs. There's also the Northland Community Choir in Parkville.

The Fine Arts Chorale, for which I sang tenor, sadly shut down in 2013 due to lack of funds.

Kantorei and Kansas City Chorale are professional-only.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:00 PM

377 posts, read 569,701 times
Just learned today that the Fine Arts Chorale has restarted as Songflower. Find them at https://www.facebook.com/pages/SongF...69913239823861
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City