U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 06:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,608 times

Advertisements

My husband are relocating to KCMO for his job, and we plan to rent for about a year prior to purchasing a home. We have two-year-old triplets and, although we love historic homes, we want to make sure that the area is reasonably safe.

What do you think about the immediate area surrounding 126 N. Van Brunt?

Thanks,

Shelby
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 06:51 PM

88 posts, read 130,663 times
Not really a fan of North East KC. I'd check out Hyde Park or the Waldo area.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:57 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,109,783 times
Depends on your situation, where you are coming from and what you are looking for. NE side is 1/3 foreign born, the most diverse part of city, lots of immigrants. Latinos, Asians, Arabs and African immigrants all mixed up. There are also a lot of big historic class homes in the area that urban hardened rehabbers go after. Retail in the area caters to immigrants, which is cool I think to visit but may not be what you want, maybe it is. Crime is above average but depending on where someone is coming from, it's all relative. Most coming from suburbia would not tolerate the above avg crime. Crime is noticeably higher than downtown/modtown KC but seems lower than central E Side.

Edit:
What area of metro is husband's job?

Last edited by xenokc; 11-25-2012 at 08:47 PM..

Old 11-25-2012, 11:37 PM

132 posts, read 109,621 times
No, not a safe neighborhood period. If you are coming from Oklahoma it is worse than any neighborhoods in OKC or Tulsa.

Gang activity is high on Van Brunt. Higher than the middle-east side believe it or not, though crime itself is lower.

I have 3 relatives that are KCMO cops.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:16 AM

I just checked crime stats by zip and NE Side had a total index in the low 400s (not good), compared to 300s that is average for a city core. In comparison, S STL hoods are in upper 400s to near 600 and OK city cores are in upper 200s. A friend of a friend rehabbed a big home in NE Side and insists the area is improving, less ghettoish ever since immigrants started to dominate. Not there yet.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:02 AM

10,705 posts, read 18,493,517 times
Guess I'm crazy, I always thought there were quite a few decent places in Old NE. Especially on the northern fringes etc.

Now you would have to put up with a lot more urban issues than many might be used to just being in the area (although it seems much better than it was in the 90's).

Old 11-26-2012, 02:34 PM

677 posts, read 1,145,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Guess I'm crazy, I always thought there were quite a few decent places in Old NE. Especially on the northern fringes etc.
I don't think you're crazy. North of St. Johns (which this address is) can be fairly nice.

To the person who commented on Van Brunt - yes it is very rough - around 30th and Van Brunt, but this is 3.5 miles North of that.

The Northeast can be block to block and the southern parts around Independence Ave and further south are sketchy, but there are also some rather nice areas around Pendelton Heights and Scarritt Point in the Northwest portion.

I think most people are ill-informed about the NE because most people don't ever go there. I think that is the area's biggest downfall - it is fairly isolated and doesn't have many amenities or attractions (aside from perhaps Kesler Park and the Museum).

I recently took a trip to the NE for a Sunday stroll around Scarritt Point area. I hadn't really spent any time in the NE for years, and I was very impressed with the current condition of the neighborhood. Beautiful homes in a mostly well kept and friendly neighborhood.

If you really want a truly spectacular historic home for a reasonable price and you are willing to compromise on being somewhat isolated area that is low on amenities and near to higher crime areas, than the NE would be a good fit.

If you are willing to pay more, or have for a home that may be smaller and less historic in order to be in a nicer neighborhood closer to the more happening parts of the city, then I suggest you look at Brookside or neighborhoods in Midtown like Hyde Park, Roanoke, Valentine, etc

Old 11-29-2012, 02:30 PM

12,064 posts, read 27,207,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseOwlSaysHoot View Post
I don't think you're crazy. North of St. Johns (which this address is) can be fairly nice.

To the person who commented on Van Brunt - yes it is very rough - around 30th and Van Brunt, but this is 3.5 miles North of that.

The Northeast can be block to block and the southern parts around Independence Ave and further south are sketchy, but there are also some rather nice areas around Pendelton Heights and Scarritt Point in the Northwest portion.

I think most people are ill-informed about the NE because most people don't ever go there. I think that is the area's biggest downfall - it is fairly isolated and doesn't have many amenities or attractions (aside from perhaps Kesler Park and the Museum).

I recently took a trip to the NE for a Sunday stroll around Scarritt Point area. I hadn't really spent any time in the NE for years, and I was very impressed with the current condition of the neighborhood. Beautiful homes in a mostly well kept and friendly neighborhood.

If you really want a truly spectacular historic home for a reasonable price and you are willing to compromise on being somewhat isolated area that is low on amenities and near to higher crime areas, than the NE would be a good fit.

If you are willing to pay more, or have for a home that may be smaller and less historic in order to be in a nicer neighborhood closer to the more happening parts of the city, then I suggest you look at Brookside or neighborhoods in Midtown like Hyde Park, Roanoke, Valentine, etc
I agree with this. I've driven around the area in question a solid amount and while it lacks the amenities of say even a Hyde Park, I find it rather charming. Really would depend on your knowledge and tolerance of urban neighborhoods. Wouldn't probably be at the top of my list, but neither would it be at the bottom.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:39 AM

677 posts, read 1,145,583 times
I guess this is an appropriately timed discussion. The Star just published an article about Independence Avenue:

Independence Avenue works to change its image - KansasCity.com

Quote:
“The avenue has been cleaned up from 10 years ago,” Koop said. “But the perception hasn’t caught up.”

Also, the Pendelton Heights home tour is today.

Pendleton Heights Homes Tour and Artist Market

There will also be a Pop Up Artists Market & Bazaar at Scuola Vita Nuova at Wabash and Independence Ave and food trucks in the area, so even if you don't want to shell out the money to go on the tour, there are other things to check out.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:06 PM

^That's a good article on the change of NE Side and Indy Ave from hookers to a wide array of obscure ethnic eats and markets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City