Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you like Kansas?
Love it! 12 35.29%
It is all right. 15 44.12%
Hate it! 7 20.59%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 04:42 PM

94 posts, read 159,282 times

Advertisements

Hello, Kansans!

I have been very curious about your state. I am looking at a potential move to Johnson County. It is only because of the job opportunity in Overland Park but I also find myself attracted to the open, flat laid-back suburbs that KS has to offer. I have always been wanting to live farther north but a state that has a friendly population like the South. I have a hard time deciding between Johnson County and Indianapolis, Indiana. Since I haven't visited KS yet, I would like to learn more about it through questions until my future visit.

How do you like KS? Why or why not?

What are the pros and cons (complaints would be helpful) about living in KS?

Are Kansans more like the Midwesterners or the Southerners in terms of friendliness, religion, and politics?

Are there any liberal enclaves in Johnson City without having to live in Lawrence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 04:30 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,709,235 times
Why are you trying to compare a suburb to a city? It would make more sense to compare the KC area to the Indy area or the KC suburbs to the Indy suburbs. You are trying to compare Overland Park to Indianapolis when Overland Park is just a part of KC.

KC has nice suburbs. I happen to think they are nicer than Indy’s suburbs, but people will have their own opinions on that. I also prefer the more hilly and green MO side suburbs of KC to the more flat less green KS suburbs. But KC has nice suburbs on both sides of the state line. But one reason for that is that metro KC is so segregated by class and while that has created a handful of really nice affluent suburbs, it has also created a lot of run down areas and blight. Most major metros tend to have more mixed income suburbs that are more diverse.

Having said that, they are nothing special at the same time. While I do think KC’s are a bit nicer than Indy’s, they are still just suburbs. Typical housing developments, box stores and chain restaurants all connected together with big anti pedestrian friendly streets for the high speed soccer moms, very little transit or mixed use. On a grand scale, the suburbs around KC are not much different than those in any major metro area though.

Metro KC is not “southern” at all. The Kansas suburbs are very conservative, but nothing like what you might find in the south, so it’s definitely not like it’s in your face or anything.

I don’t know that Johnson County is any more “laid back” either. That area is very built up, lots of traffic, big freeways etc. Again, it seems like you are running with the Kansas stereotypes when that part of KS is more large metro suburbia vs what most people would imagine when they think of Kansas.

There is a LOT of trying to keep up with each other materialistically. I find it comical myself because I think the KS suburbs are just meh while many that live there think it’s the best place on earth. It’s a nice area, but there is literally a billion places just like it all across the country.

I would think more about which metro area you would rather live in. If you live and work in Overland Park, would you be taking advantage of the city? What do you like to do etc. You can find a nice burb just about anywhere.

Last edited by kcmo; 11-25-2012 at 04:49 PM..

Old 11-26-2012, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Why are you trying to compare a suburb to a city? It would make more sense to compare the KC area to the Indy area or the KC suburbs to the Indy suburbs. You are trying to compare Overland Park to Indianapolis when Overland Park is just a part of KC.

KC has nice suburbs. I happen to think they are nicer than Indy’s suburbs, but people will have their own opinions on that. I also prefer the more hilly and green MO side suburbs of KC to the more flat less green KS suburbs. But KC has nice suburbs on both sides of the state line. But one reason for that is that metro KC is so segregated by class and while that has created a handful of really nice affluent suburbs, it has also created a lot of run down areas and blight. Most major metros tend to have more mixed income suburbs that are more diverse.

Having said that, they are nothing special at the same time. While I do think KC’s are a bit nicer than Indy’s, they are still just suburbs. Typical housing developments, box stores and chain restaurants all connected together with big anti pedestrian friendly streets for the high speed soccer moms, very little transit or mixed use. On a grand scale, the suburbs around KC are not much different than those in any major metro area though.

Metro KC is not “southern” at all. The Kansas suburbs are very conservative, but nothing like what you might find in the south, so it’s definitely not like it’s in your face or anything.

I don’t know that Johnson County is any more “laid back” either. That area is very built up, lots of traffic, big freeways etc. Again, it seems like you are running with the Kansas stereotypes when that part of KS is more large metro suburbia vs what most people would imagine when they think of Kansas.

There is a LOT of trying to keep up with each other materialistically. I find it comical myself because I think the KS suburbs are just meh while many that live there think it’s the best place on earth. It’s a nice area, but there is literally a billion places just like it all across the country.

I would think more about which metro area you would rather live in. If you live and work in Overland Park, would you be taking advantage of the city? What do you like to do etc. You can find a nice burb just about anywhere.
Thank you for your detailed post. I did my research on Johnson County and Jackson County. I think Johnson County is more for me in terms of excellent economy, well-educated population, and higher quality of life overall. Yes, I plan to take advantage of big city amenties in Overland Park and KC.

IMO, Downtown Indianapolis could have been better. Although it is great, it seems to be more spread out with less density. Downtown KC seems to be more concentrated inside the Loop with higher density along with endless restaurants, fountains, and shopping areas, especially Country Club Plaza.

I think it is true that KC is highly underrated while Indy has more international recognition.

I have two more questions about weather below.

Are summers in KC very humid like Little Rock and Memphis? What I love the most about Chattanooga & Knoxville, TN is that summers are less humid than most of the South due to mountains.

Is it normal for bad tornadoes and floodings to occur in KC Metro Area?

Old 11-26-2012, 08:04 AM

25,606 posts, read 21,786,100 times
Kansas is not like the south at all. I have lived in NC and AL and much prefer them and hope to return to AL. There is a sort of laid back charm and friendliness in the south that you will not find in KS not to mention the winters without snow and ice. Tornadoes here are not that worrisome but I think flooding is definitely something you should look at. I grew in SW MI. I think you will find that once you cross the MS, it is different and I cannot explain it, you will just have to experience it. I'm stuck for now and you can make the best of any situation but if I had a choice, it wouldn't take me long to pack. Metro areas though tend to be more alike than different. Keep in mind that KS is very diverse and asking what one likes or dislikes about KS in general will not get you the information that you are seeking and you'll need to be very specific about the areas that you are interested in. TN is SO beautiful with the mountains and greenery as we have passed through your area more than once on the way to Disney World. Best of luck!

Old 11-26-2012, 09:53 PM

77,734 posts, read 59,889,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBZ1113 View Post
Hello, Kansans!

I have been very curious about your state. I am looking at a potential move to Johnson County. It is only because of the job opportunity in Overland Park but I also find myself attracted to the open, flat laid-back suburbs that KS has to offer. I have always been wanting to live farther north but a state that has a friendly population like the South. I have a hard time deciding between Johnson County and Indianapolis, Indiana. Since I haven't visited KS yet, I would like to learn more about it through questions until my future visit.

How do you like KS? Why or why not?

What are the pros and cons (complaints would be helpful) about living in KS?

Are Kansans more like the Midwesterners or the Southerners in terms of friendliness, religion, and politics?

Are there any liberal enclaves in Johnson City without having to live in Lawrence?
I'm a 12 year transplant now from the Chicago burbs and love it. I think it's probably fairly comparable to Indianapolis in many ways like cost of living, size, general midwestern attitudes.

I wouldn't sweat trying to find "liberal enclaves", there are a lot of liberals in joco it's more the rural part of the state that is noticeably less so.

There is a lot to choose from in the KC Metro and if you are working in OP and want a short commute there are older neighborhoods with more trees etc. in the area and not just new construction suburban sprawl.

For me, I like having 4 seasons but a mild winter. Low cost of living compared to major urban centers, short commute times. You also have a lot of great attractions in KCMO like major concerts, pro sports, symphony and much much more. Their zoo has greatly improved too!

Old 11-27-2012, 04:11 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,917,911 times
What are the pros and cons (complaints would be helpful) about living in KS? Well, I will talk about JOCO. It's just blah. Very car dependent. All the cities just run into each other. It lacks soul.

Are Kansans more like the Midwesterners or the Southerners in terms of friendliness, religion, and politics? Midwestern, I guess. I think some of the Lutheran stereotypes portrayed on a Prairie Home Companion kinda ring true, although this state isn't that Lutheran. JOCO still has very Christian vibe going on, I feel. But a materialistic one, if you know what I mean? And Republican. But not like the redneck Republican. Just middle class white people Republican. lol. Yeah, I don't know how to explain. Definitely not Southern in terms of friendliness that you think of in the South.

Are there any liberal enclaves in Johnson City without having to live in Lawrence? What kind of liberal are we talking about? JOCO is predominately Republican. Most Democrats are probably of the moderate type.I agree with AnywhereElse that there is just a different feel west of the Mississippi. I like the feel East of it better. I'm not even sure what I'm talking about, but yes, the cities to the East just seem better. Since I can't pinpoint it, this is kind of a useless observation, eh? Maybe it is because they are closer to so many other cities. It's really isolated out here. If KC was just a few hours to many other metros, it might not have to be so great on it's own to be a place I'd like to live in.

Personally, I'd take TN over KS any day. Even though I like the look and feel of the prairie, it's still way more scenic and just gorgeous in TN. And the culture is just more warm and friendly. Since you seem to want to get away from TN, my opinions are probably useless.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Kansas is not like the south at all. I have lived in NC and AL and much prefer them and hope to return to AL. There is a sort of laid back charm and friendliness in the south that you will not find in KS not to mention the winters without snow and ice. Tornadoes here are not that worrisome but I think flooding is definitely something you should look at. I grew in SW MI. I think you will find that once you cross the MS, it is different and I cannot explain it, you will just have to experience it. I'm stuck for now and you can make the best of any situation but if I had a choice, it wouldn't take me long to pack. Metro areas though tend to be more alike than different. Keep in mind that KS is very diverse and asking what one likes or dislikes about KS in general will not get you the information that you are seeking and you'll need to be very specific about the areas that you are interested in. TN is SO beautiful with the mountains and greenery as we have passed through your area more than once on the way to Disney World. Best of luck!
I am not sure if I understand what you mean by being west of the MS River, it is more different. Are you referring to the friendliness of the people or the cities being more isolated?

I used to live in Little Rock, AR. In my opinion, Arkansans may be harder to make friends but once you become friends, you do not lose them. In my home state of Tennessee, people are very friendly but it is harder to make good friends and stay being friends. Is KS similiar to AR in this case so is most of the Midwest, such as Minnesota and Ohio?

Last edited by PBZ1113; 11-27-2012 at 04:32 PM..

Old 11-27-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
The statistics show that KC Metro Area only receives an annual snowfall average of 19 inches. That seems to be nothing. Of course, I know the temperatures are colder with more winds due to the lack of trees. Am I right?

Last edited by PBZ1113; 11-27-2012 at 04:31 PM..

Old 11-27-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soanchorless View Post
What are the pros and cons (complaints would be helpful) about living in KS? Well, I will talk about JOCO. It's just blah. Very car dependent. All the cities just run into each other. It lacks soul.

Are Kansans more like the Midwesterners or the Southerners in terms of friendliness, religion, and politics? Midwestern, I guess. I think some of the Lutheran stereotypes portrayed on a Prairie Home Companion kinda ring true, although this state isn't that Lutheran. JOCO still has very Christian vibe going on, I feel. But a materialistic one, if you know what I mean? And Republican. But not like the redneck Republican. Just middle class white people Republican. lol. Yeah, I don't know how to explain. Definitely not Southern in terms of friendliness that you think of in the South.

Are there any liberal enclaves in Johnson City without having to live in Lawrence? What kind of liberal are we talking about? JOCO is predominately Republican. Most Democrats are probably of the moderate type.I agree with AnywhereElse that there is just a different feel west of the Mississippi. I like the feel East of it better. I'm not even sure what I'm talking about, but yes, the cities to the East just seem better. Since I can't pinpoint it, this is kind of a useless observation, eh? Maybe it is because they are closer to so many other cities. It's really isolated out here. If KC was just a few hours to many other metros, it might not have to be so great on it's own to be a place I'd like to live in.

Personally, I'd take TN over KS any day. Even though I like the look and feel of the prairie, it's still way more scenic and just gorgeous in TN. And the culture is just more warm and friendly. Since you seem to want to get away from TN, my opinions are probably useless.
I know what you mean by conservative redneck Republicans. LOL

I know college towns, such as Lawrence and Manhattan, tend to be more liberal and Democratic compared to the rest of Kansas. I think Kansas City tends to lean Democratic also because of the African American population. That's why I asked if there are any Democratic spots in Johnson County.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:01 PM

26,375 posts, read 46,238,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBZ1113 View Post
I know what you mean by conservative redneck Republicans. LOL

I know college towns, such as Lawrence and Manhattan, tend to be more liberal and Democratic compared to the rest of Kansas. I think Kansas City tends to lean Democratic also because of the African American population. That's why I asked if there are any Democratic spots in Johnson County.
Look INSIDE the 435 LOOP in JOCO and you will find an area with a fairly balanced moderate political voting patterns, trending a bit more Democratic over time. Avoid most areas OUTSIDE the 435 loop only if you desire monotonous conformity, mcmansions, HOAs, less trees, and little diversity (outside of Olathe).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City