U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 05:41 PM

519 posts, read 468,181 times

Advertisements

Why isn't Southwest Airlines growing in Kansas City like it is in St Louis? With Frontier pulling down you would have thought Southwest would have added more flights and more destinations at KCI than it did. It's been growing like crazy in St Louis. Is this another "boat" that Kansas City has missed out on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 11:47 AM

12,064 posts, read 27,216,465 times
Dear god we have a lot of airport posts on this forum.

There's several recent ones that a search would pull up for you that go into this issue somewhat further.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:30 PM

1,145 posts, read 1,999,483 times
Southwest just added nonstop service to New Orleans, Houston Hobby, and I believe Boston

Old 11-30-2012, 02:00 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,504,291 times
KC Aviation Dept is on the fast track to build a new terminal. So hopefully that will help KC get more flights.

BTW, We flew into KC for thanksgiving and we flew out of MCI on a Sunday Morning and the line for SW was longer than anything I would ever have to endure at BWI (which is 4 times as busy as MCI). Thank god I get to travel using the bypass lanes. That line had to be at least 40-60 minutes and there is no way to just open more lines because there are none to open. You just stand there in a very long line in the middle of the crowded concourse. Crazy. It would be like if they added southwest to the airport in Columbia, MO or something. All while the rest of KCI is like a freaking ghost town.

Also, I have always complained that the baggage carousels are at MCI are super tiny and don't have near enough room for a flight of people to pick up their bags, not to mention they also clog the main terminal corridor, but just maybe the new terminal will have larger carousels and just maybe the new carousels will have nice little digital signs that say what flights will be coming out of which carousels.

Don't even get me started on the rental car shuttles on this last trip. What an ffn disaster that was. I'm pretty sure between the lack of buses and the long lines at SW, there were a lot of missed flights and that many more people that won't be using KCI unless they absolutely have to. As long as joe blow from Olathe can walk that 75 feet to jail holding areas before a flight, that's all that matters lol.

And people wonder why Southwest has begun to move away from KCI or at least do very minimal expansion there.

I hate KCI.

Last edited by kcmo; 11-30-2012 at 02:19 PM..

Old 11-30-2012, 02:03 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,110,519 times
The reduction of flights over the years has hurt every mid-sized airport. STL used to be ranked top 10 in passenger traffic but is now ranked 31st, only one notch above KCI at 32nd. Larger metros like Pittsburgh, Cincy and Cleveland airports got hit far worse and are ranked way below KCI. STL is probably worst relative to market size so can see why SW would add more there first. KCI needs any airline to bump up flights, not just SW, which BTW is my least favorite behind American. SW treats you like cattle.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
The reduction of flights over the years has hurt every mid-sized airport. STL used to be ranked top 10 in passenger traffic but is now ranked 31st, only one notch above KCI at 32nd. Larger metros like Pittsburgh, Cincy and Cleveland airports got hit far worse and are ranked way below KCI. STL is probably worst relative to market size so can see why SW would add more there first. KCI needs any airline to bump up flights, not just SW, which BTW is my least favorite behind American. SW treats you like cattle.
Yea, but most airports are in recovery mode. KCI is not fairing well (especially the past year or so) when they should be one of more successful airports out of all these mergers. They have "almost" maintained status quo on flights because they had so few flights from the airlines outside of SW. Most flights from United etc go to hub cities like DFW, Chicago, Denver etc.

Had KCI built a new terminal in 2006 instead of spending 300 million to renovate something they will soon be tearing down, I'm pretty sure that KCI would have picked up a ton of the flights that have since gone to Denver, St Louis etc. KCI could be going nuts with what is basically a Southwest hub (similar to what SW is doing at BWI).

All airlines treat their customers like cattle. Other than the lack of reserved seating, I think SW generally treats people better than most airlines and over the years I have watched them take away a great deal of business travelers from the other carriers, business travelers that will avoid MCI at all cost if KC is not their destination. So yea, I think it's hurting KCI.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:22 PM

Actually Pitt, Cleveland and Cincy are dropping passenger traffic faster than KCI. It's not because of lack of demand, it's partly because airlines are dropping flights from mid-size airports. I do agree though that the upgrade last decade should have gone towards a new terminal or major layout restructure, not an aesthetic upgrade.

As far as SW treating passengers like cattle, I was referring to the line up along posts. I also want an assigned seat to make sure I can get an aisle seat.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:25 PM

1,145 posts, read 1,999,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
KCI needs any airline to bump up flights, not just SW, which BTW is my least favorite behind American. SW treats you like cattle.
Lol, my least favorite airlines are Southwest and American as well. People think Southwest is the home of cheap flights but it actually isn't anymore, i have been consistently finding them to be a lot more expensive.

This last week Rob Riggle who does some little comedy bit for Fox NFL Sunday made fun of KC's airport. I believe he's from here.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:30 PM

It's a strange airport for sure. It surprises me that most actually like it. KCI often hits best airport lists, even global lists, which I don't understand. It's a love it or hate it thing, there's no middle opinion on its layout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:30 PM

^ But KCI is not 2-4 hours from six other large metros. Not only could KCI be a very important airport in the middle part of the country it has the market that places like Cincy could only wish for. People drive from as far away as Wichita and Omaha, even OK to fly out of KCI. KCI should be as successful as Denver or Salt Lake City. With its good sized local market (nearly 3 million), huge regional market (millions more), nice national location for connections and an airport with incredible capacity outside of the terminals (three long runways etc), KC should have a much more important airport today.

I just think KC has really missed one hell of a opportunity over the past few decades by not improving the terminal situation at KCI sooner all so people have a 75 foot walk so they can catch a plane to another airport and add 2-4 hours to coastal flight haha. Give me a 500 foot walk over a layover flight anyday.
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or