U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-21-2014, 07:13 AM
 
Location: Middle America
35,817 posts, read 39,361,269 times
Reputation: 48613

Advertisements

Somebody should have told Borders that hardcover books (at full retail price) were staging a comeback. Or let Barnes and Noble know.

Bookstores are among the only non-grocery retail that I ever frequent, and the only ones with any significant traffic where I am currently living (Chicago) are Half-Price Books locations, of which KC has several. People browse the indies, and then buy it online or at HPB. I lived around the corner from the Plaza Barnes and Noble store and probably spent as much time there as in my apartment, and for a store that size, the amount of the traffic that was strictly browsing v. purchasing was pretty notable. Much as it pains me, I really don't hold out much hope for brick and mortar booksellers to bounce back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-23-2014, 11:35 AM
 
Location: Peoria, AZ
941 posts, read 1,004,906 times
Reputation: 1015
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Somebody should have told Borders that hardcover books (at full retail price) were staging a comeback. Or let Barnes and Noble know.

Bookstores are among the only non-grocery retail that I ever frequent, and the only ones with any significant traffic where I am currently living (Chicago) are Half-Price Books locations, of which KC has several. People browse the indies, and then buy it online or at HPB. I lived around the corner from the Plaza Barnes and Noble store and probably spent as much time there as in my apartment, and for a store that size, the amount of the traffic that was strictly browsing v. purchasing was pretty notable. Much as it pains me, I really don't hold out much hope for brick and mortar booksellers to bounce back.
I do. However, they are going to be more of the "Half-Price Books" or some sort of book exchange variety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2014, 08:42 PM
 
376 posts, read 429,685 times
Reputation: 350
Indie bookstores are actually doing quite well. But their model is different: they cater to the unique tastes of the community, build relationships with patrons and local authors, and serve as centers for education, arts and activism. I doubt you'll see much of that at B&N.

Independent bookstores start a new chapter: Growth- MSN Money
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2014, 10:40 AM
 
266 posts, read 473,016 times
Reputation: 229
I personally don't care that much for IKEA, but I do think it's a good addition to the area. Little known about it is that it has a decent sized Swedish grocery section, which is good because only tiny Werner's down the street sells any of that stuff. I was most excited to see that Tilly's came to Kansas, in the old PacSun space at Town Center. I found fresh market pretty meh, and I don't understand the upcoming oversaturation of sporting goods stores.

I haven't read physical books in years, digital versions are just too easy. I heard joco library started a digital version, right? My aging father has been using it and sounded all excited.

If anything, I am nostalgic for joco indie coffee scene.

Last edited by jason87x; 03-24-2014 at 10:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2014, 07:19 PM
 
Location: Middle America
35,817 posts, read 39,361,269 times
Reputation: 48613
My house is about a block from Werner's, and nothing tops their sausage lunches on Saturdays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2016, 12:01 AM
 
Location: Washington, DC area
10,705 posts, read 18,498,983 times
Reputation: 5415
Went to Scheels in Overland Park Tuesday. Bought a nice Royals jacket and a ballcap. Pretty cool store. Almost nobody there, except employees, but was during a weekday afternoon. (lots of employees and every one of them tries to help you, but were very nice). I would guess the place is crazy on weekends.

FYI, also stopped by Rally House in Tiffany Springs and they actually had a lot more local sports teams stuff and the prices were slightly less than Scheels for the same items. Those are nice stores if you want something KC sports related.

Speaking of giant big box stores. I guess that's a Menard's going up at Little Blue and I-70 in Independence? That thing makes a Lowe's look small and noticed the new Cabellas going up in Lee's Summit, very close to the huge Bass Pro Shop up the interstate. Gotta wonder if metro KC can support all this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2016, 06:57 AM
 
Location: Hays, Kansas
705 posts, read 823,441 times
Reputation: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Went to Scheels in Overland Park Tuesday. Bought a nice Royals jacket and a ballcap. Pretty cool store. Almost nobody there, except employees, but was during a weekday afternoon. (lots of employees and every one of them tries to help you, but were very nice). I would guess the place is crazy on weekends.

FYI, also stopped by Rally House in Tiffany Springs and they actually had a lot more local sports teams stuff and the prices were slightly less than Scheels for the same items. Those are nice stores if you want something KC sports related.

Speaking of giant big box stores. I guess that's a Menard's going up at Little Blue and I-70 in Independence? That thing makes a Lowe's look small and noticed the new Cabellas going up in Lee's Summit, very close to the huge Bass Pro Shop up the interstate. Gotta wonder if metro KC can support all this.
The thing with the LS Cabellas is that it's a small store (slightly smaller than the already small Wichita one), and it's doomed to close if the Bass Pro-Cabellas merger happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2016, 02:46 PM
 
Location: Washington, DC area
10,705 posts, read 18,498,983 times
Reputation: 5415
Quote:
Originally Posted by empires228 View Post
The thing with the LS Cabellas is that it's a small store (slightly smaller than the already small Wichita one), and it's doomed to close if the Bass Pro-Cabellas merger happens.
So it will be like the Olathe Bass Pro version of Cabellas. That Olathe Bass Pro is almost silly compared to the Independence location. It's like they are just trying to capture people that don't want to drive to the other size of the metro but still want to buy stuff at Bass Pro. Maybe they should put a smaller Scheels in Liberty?

Yea, if there is a merger, I would imagine only the to major stores would stay open and the LS location would likely be the first to close. It would likely just change to a Gander Mountain or something though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2016, 10:32 AM
 
Location: Hays, Kansas
705 posts, read 823,441 times
Reputation: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
So it will be like the Olathe Bass Pro version of Cabellas. That Olathe Bass Pro is almost silly compared to the Independence location. It's like they are just trying to capture people that don't want to drive to the other size of the metro but still want to buy stuff at Bass Pro. Maybe they should put a smaller Scheels in Liberty?

Yea, if there is a merger, I would imagine only the to major stores would stay open and the LS location would likely be the first to close. It would likely just change to a Gander Mountain or something though.
Likely we would end up with stores in KCK and Independence, but the size of the Olathe Store isn't bad and could easily be expanded, though it would be redundant to the KCK store. Gander Mountain isn't a big traffic draw like the others. The one in Wichita is never as busy as Cabelas despite being easier to get seeing as its off Kellogg and not surface roads and the far flung K95 freeway. The non existent progress of the Water Walk development in Wichita is just another example of why Kansas throws all of the money at JoCo... Nothing sticks when it's thrown at Wichita! Bass Pro was wishy washy and had their massive incentive demands met, but they pulled out of the project right as they pulled out of the Bannister Project and then a chunk of the rest of the development wasn't willing to take a risk when Gander Mountain became the new anchor. The recession didn't help things either. If I'm in Wichita It's only for a concert, the Zoo, or a conference, so I've never even been in Gander Mountain, but I do go to the two malls and they're in rough shape. Poor Towne East can't catch a break with half of its tenants declaring bankruptcy and liquidating every other week and Sears as an anchor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2016, 10:53 AM
 
Location: Washington, DC area
10,705 posts, read 18,498,983 times
Reputation: 5415
That's why I mentioned Gander Mountain as a replacement in LS. It's much smaller and much less of a destination and seem to be a better fit.

One thing about the KCK Cabella's is that the area needs to remain a destination for that store to remain viable because the area has such a low population within ten miles of the store and an even lower affluent population. I think thee is enough out there now that it will remain a destination for some time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top