U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 09:56 PM

705 posts, read 823,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
That's why I mentioned Gander Mountain as a replacement in LS. It's much smaller and much less of a destination and seem to be a better fit.

One thing about the KCK Cabella's is that the area needs to remain a destination for that store to remain viable because the area has such a low population within ten miles of the store and an even lower affluent population. I think thee is enough out there now that it will remain a destination for some time.
I think the area will remain a destination for some time as long as they can keep the inner city crime from hitting Legends. Legends is essentially is shopping center for the entirety of Leavenworth County as well and there are always a fair amount of Douglas, Shawnee, and Johnson County cars there as well. Shopping for clothing in Lawrence is abysmal unless you're a hipster (Urban Outfitters), a middle aged mom (JCP/Kohl's), a frumpy old lady too snotty for Dillard's (Weaver's), or the single person who still shops at GAP, and Leavenworth is even worse with the ONLY department stores in the county being a fairly small Walmart and a surprisingly nice Kmart where they subleased the former garden area to a Sears Hometown store. Lansing, Piper, and Bonner Springs are seeing solid middle class development that will help keep the area afloat. Lansing in particular has been growing out of their school buildings like crazy as of late. All three are good districts that attract both those who work in KCK and Leavenworth as both communities have abysmal schools, especially KCK outside of Sumner. Basehor-Linwood is a pretty good district too. I'd even go as far to say that most of the districts I just mentioned are better than the northern Shawnee Mission schools or Olathe North. Shawnee Missions rep is being floated by east and its feeder schools anyways.

Anyways, Best Buy has been the only "big" failure out there so far, and seeing as how they closed quite a few stores around the same time, I wouldn't call it much of a loss. With the luxury apartments and the auto mall going up out there It has another two decades of viability at the least. That's more than I'm willing to give Oak Park Mall and Independence Center. Both have some rough areas that are creeping closer and closer. I also expect the remaining mallway at Ward Parkway to come down within 20 years as it's the weakest performing part of the redevelopment. I can see them keeping the hall from Target to AMC just because it's easy to get to the theatre that way, but the rest of it is underutilized space. I love that theatre by the way... Saw a movie there last week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 12:41 PM

172 posts, read 98,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by empires228 View Post
That's more than I'm willing to give Oak Park Mall and Independence Center. Both have some rough areas that are creeping closer and closer.
What rough areas exist near Oak Park Mall? Older apartment complexes come to mind. I cannot think of any rough areas though.

Old 09-12-2016, 01:21 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,498,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycrite View Post
What rough areas exist near Oak Park Mall? Older apartment complexes come to mind. I cannot think of any rough areas though.
There are not really any rough areas around Indep Center either and the area is still growing.

Independence is seeing quite a bit of redevelopment around Noland and the development around Bass Pro (Falls) along US 40 has probably helped that corridor because US-40 in that area was not doing great before.

Lee's Summit and Blue Springs are both still growing with infill near the Indep border and Independence itself has several affluent developments in the area around the mall including the new Stone Canyon golf course development that used to be a landfill not to mention this:

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascit...ependence.html

Northern Independence is still one of the poorest areas of the metro and will remain so, but the area around the mall is pretty decent.

I think suburban Jackson County can support two major suburban retail areas (470/70 and 470/50). I don't see anything major being proposed that would saturate the market like a new Zona Rosa type center in eastern Blue Springs or something. There are smaller retail clusters at Adams Dairy etc, but nothing that would compete much with the millions of sq ft at 470/70. A LOT of people in Lee's Summit etc drive to Johnson County to shop at places that don't exist in Jackson County. That's one of the reasons JoCo retail stats are so abnormally high for the population. JoCo is not that affluent nor populated to support all the retail they have. Nearly half the shoppers at many of the retail centers outside of western JoCo are from Missouri and as Jackson County (and the Northland) continue to grow, retailers that are now only in JoCo will open other locations.

If there is one area of the metro that is extremely overbuilt can could collapse in the next decade, it's JoCo. That includes Oak Park Mall. The area around Oak Park Mall is not great, but not bad. It's declining, but that's not what will hurt Oak Park Mall. Competition with all the other new places down south and out west combined with a declining regional draw is what will probably doom Oak Park. People in Lee's Summit will drive to Oak Park Mall but people in Overland Park don't go to MO suburbs for any reason other than Royals games. That's good for Oak Park now, but not in the long run. It's the same reason Bannister went down in flames. It lost its regional draw and the immediate area can't support a mall. The area around Independence can support that mall even with new development in LS. You have to remember that LS has about 100,000. Blue Springs has 60,000. Grain Valley has 15,000. And you still have Raytown, East KCMO, most of Indepedence and Indep Center gets a lot of "I-70" traveling shoppers and rural shoppers from places east of the metro.

Last edited by kcmo; 09-12-2016 at 01:29 PM..

Old 12-09-2016, 01:26 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,498,983 times
Cabelas not coming to Lee's Summit. I don't think it will have any impact on this development though.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascit...re-future.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or