Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 12:36 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,886,188 times

Advertisements

Scheels in Corbin Park will be ?Disneyland of sporting goods stores? - Kansas City Business Journal

KC already has some huge destination type stores. Two Bass Pro Shops, A Cabella’s, Nebraska Furniture Mart (gotta be one of the largest showrooms in the country and now this.

This is on top of KC recently getting Trader Joes, H&M and several other retailers. You have to wonder just how large the KC retail market is and how far people drive to shop in KC. I think it's gotta be pretty impressive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 12:32 AM

196 posts, read 395,222 times
kcmo, what's your prediction on the popularity of IKEA here in KC?

Old 12-04-2012, 07:58 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,621,105 times
^I know you didn't ask me, but from what I've seen of Ikeas, the opening and the months following will make the opening of Trader Joe's look like a lazy Sunday in the park. It's going to be nuts.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:17 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,999,253 times
We're also getting an REI next year.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:11 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,806,345 times
^And Moosejaw opened on Plaza this year. KC has an unusually high number of outdoors/sports mega stores.

And looks like bigboxtainment stores are the future of American Consumerism.

To attract shoppers, retailers add entertainment - KansasCity.com

Old 12-04-2012, 10:04 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
This is going to be in OP so this will likely contribute to more traffic craziness on 135 street before OP builds even further out with more commercial development on the next gridded road. It will attract more shoppers to the "bricks and mortar" store from a wider radius, though.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:58 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,979,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
This is going to be in OP so this will likely contribute to more traffic craziness on 135 street before OP builds even further out with more commercial development on the next gridded road. It will attract more shoppers to the "bricks and mortar" store from a wider radius, though.
I'd be more worried about 69, if anything. That highway can only take so much and OP may have already grown about as far south from 435 as viable. I had the thought recently western JoCo might start blowing up. Lenexa's City Center development got a jumpstart recently, plus the JoCo "Gateway" highway project.

I wonder if you would have said anythingmodcut if Scheel's and IKEA were going to the 152 corridor or east Independence.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 12-05-2012 at 05:36 PM..

Old 12-05-2012, 12:02 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,979,061 times
Oh and Von Maur, Nordstrom Rack, and Saks Off Fifth, were all good gets in the not-so-distant past.

It's too bad KCMO couldn't have landed any of these stores. Bannister, Metro North and the Sports Complex are 3 major areas that need a significant shot in the arm.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:38 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times
When IKEA opened in Denver last year, it was crazy crowded for the first couple months. Now it's just "regular" crowded.

They're opening 2 Trader Joe's here next year, so I expect the same as what happened in KC.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:42 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
I'd be more worried about 69, if anything. That highway can only take so much and OP may have already grown about as far south from 435 as viable. I had the thought recently western JoCo might start blowing up. Lenexa's City Center development got a jumpstart recently, plus the JoCo "Gateway" highway project.

I wonder if you would have said anythingmodcut if Scheel's and IKEA were going to the 152 corridor or east Independence.
It's not like it even matters at this point. Overland Park east of 69 is basically completely built out housing wise, sprawled out, and is way overbuilt on retail. This is no surprise to me as the Mayor and city council have had a "growth at all costs" mentality for decades. Now the area is much too crowded. Oh well... OP will have MAJOR challenges to expand any further as Stilwell is very much anti-growth because they don't want high density subdivisions filling the landscape and they have the $$$ to fight development. Therefore, I do agree that most of the growth will end up going to western JOCO. What I would like to see happen is a large chunk of the former Sunflower Munitions plant converted over to conservation land and not developed at all. JOCO is LACKING in conservation lands that are not suburbanite parks, like Shawnee Mission has become. The BNSF inter-modal will definitely lead to southwest JOCO being a blue collar hub for employment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City