U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 08:16 PM

30 posts, read 70,384 times

Advertisements

Two years ago, I stayed in Kansas City, MO for three months, and really enjoyed what the city offered. I want to move back to KCMO and settle there. The ONLY thing that's making this decision difficult, is the Brown Recluse problem. Even though I spent almost three years in "Brown Recluse territory" (over 2 years in Wichita, KS, a few months in Salina, KS along with my time in Kansas City, MO), I don't feel comfortable with the idea of living in close proximity to these particular spiders. I wasn't bit by any Brown Recluse spiders and I don't recall seeing any during my time in Kansas-Missouri, but things could be different upon a return to the region. I wasn't even aware of the Brown Recluse population when I first moved to Kansas in 2008 (otherwise, I probably would have reconsidered the move). I haven't lived in the Kansas-Missouri area for almost 2 years, but after spending time in various cities and regions throughout the U.S., I prefer Kansas City as a place to lay down my roots. Honestly, if it wasn't for those Brown Recluse spiders, I would move back to Kansas City in a heart beat. But unfortunately, the Brown Recluse problem is beyond anyone's control, and I would have to accept them as a part of my environment if I were to move back to KC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 10:30 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,109,249 times
Have not heard anyone fear KC due to arachnophobia. Thats a new one. Have not heard anyone even bring it up. But apparently they are here in some areas.

Only 2 deaths in 20 years in all of MO. If you don't want to move to KC in fear of this then you could not live anywhere there are cars. Hundreds of people die in car wrecks every year in MO, like around 500.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:33 AM

220 posts, read 359,292 times
Accept them, they don't bother anyone.

They'll flee before they bite, they stay away from lived in areas, and aren't aggressive at all. They like cardboard and dark secluded places so wear gloves when moving boxes in attics and garages and you should be fine. You can live in a recluse infested home and never have a single issue with them... and with some pest control and sticky traps you can get rid of most of them.

The bite can be treated pretty easily. Most people don't have an issue and they bites heal on their own, very few have allergic reactions but they can be treated if taken to a hospital in a timely manner. You're also talking a very very small percentage of people who have ever been bitten compared to who live here all their lives and never have a single issue...

Old 12-05-2012, 07:06 AM

12,064 posts, read 27,204,220 times
My dog got bit by a brown recluse once I think. I didn't even realize it until well later because she had this spot on her leg where her hair fell out. And then it got better on its own. It's really a non issue, and I can't imagine making a decision about where to live based on it. Did you have some particularly bad experience with BRs in your past?

Old 12-05-2012, 07:25 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,109,249 times
Are they that common? I've never seen one. I don't recall anyone ever bringing it up and have lived in MO (KC/STL) almost entire life.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:49 AM

12,064 posts, read 27,204,220 times
^I never had an issue with them, but we did have a few at our old place in Westport, mostly, I think, because the owner was a big eco-friendly animal lover type and he wouldn't spray for any bugs. Then again we didn't have any other bugs, ostensibly because the BRs ate them all.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:11 AM

5,758 posts, read 9,485,099 times
I've lived here my entire life and never even thought about them at all. I dont even know what they look like.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:43 AM

35 posts, read 116,885 times
Only time I've seen one is after pulling a tote out of a storage unit after a few months of being in there. I think you pretty much sign up for pests to get in your stuff when you put it in a storage unit. But to be afraid of moving somewhere because of the spiders? Thats some strong feelings towards the litle guys.. Maybe northern Alaska is a better spot for ya?

This post reminds me of the misunderstood spider:
http://www.quickmeme.com/Misunderstood-Spider/

Old 12-05-2012, 11:26 AM

889 posts, read 1,427,701 times
I like spiders; they prey on other pests. That said, I caught a lot of brown recluse spiders when living in Topeka. I have only seen a few here in Kansas City.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:15 PM

30 posts, read 70,384 times
Thanks guys for the responses. I definitely feel less anxious about the idea of living in Kansas City. There are alot of things I like about Kansas City: The art scene, the hilly topography, some of the architecture, The Plaza (one of my favorite neighborhoods in the U.S.), the fact that AMC and Hallmark are headquartered there, the Power and Light District (specifically, the Kansas City Live court), the water fountains, and perhaps a few more things. But, maybe Kansas City is not the right place for me (or, perhaps one of the other cities I have in mind would be a better fit). The strong Tech/IT industry (as described in KCMO's thread) is definitely a strong point that should be added to the list of things I like about Kansas City.

Two other cities I'm considering (as places to settle down in) are Denver, CO and Minneapolis, MN. One thing I really like about Minneapolis, is that it has a strong art scene AND a strong sports scene (I like sports and art). As most of you alluded to in a recent thread, the art scene in Denver is definitely a "work in progress." Minneapolis is a great city (one of my favorites), but the Winters scare me, and there's certain things about the people up there that don't click with me (I'd rather not get into detail, but I've talked to many other people who share the same assessment).

All things considered, Denver seems like a better fit for me among the three cities that I'm looking at. I wish the art scene in Denver was better, but, it does appear that the art scene is evolving (as evidenced by all the excitement over Santa Fe St.), and there's always Boulder and Fort Collins nearby which seem to have significant creative/artistic stuff going on. Plus, I'm not a professional artist (even though I'd love to be ), so I really don't need to be in a city that revolves around art.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or