U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 06:11 PM

35,827 posts, read 39,500,156 times

Advertisements

I think KC and Pittsburgh are reasonably comparable. My preference for the Midwest pushes KC ahead, for me, but they're not horribly dissimilar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 01:41 PM

107 posts, read 167,327 times
bump

Old 12-25-2012, 08:35 PM

16 posts, read 24,155 times
Kansas City is a decent place to live as long as you are aware of the areas to avoid for safety. If KCMO isn't your cup of tea, you always have Overland Park, KS and Olathe, KS next door. Lots of people live there and work in KCMO. I prefer those areas myself but I don't live there because it is too far from friends and the things that we like to do, but you may love it.

Old 12-25-2012, 08:41 PM

16 posts, read 24,155 times
The unemployment rate for KCMO as of Christmas day 2012 is 6.2 where the rest of the country is 7.5 per the Bureau of Labor and Statistics. I lived there for 7 yrs and never ever was unemployed or without a job unless I took time off for college. We are moving back in 3 months because the opportunities there far surpass what we moved to here in Tampa, FL. We always had what we wanted and needed in KCMO, however my 2 yr time in FL we found ourselves unemployed, near homeless and bearly eating enough at times. Can't eat or pay bills if you can't work. The jobs are not here but while in KCMO, we did well. I can't wait to get back! KCMO is not perfect, but it is very livable and it is what you make of it.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:39 PM

9,147 posts, read 3,751,526 times
personally I like north of the river, NKC area. Seems to be about 15-30 minutes away from most places. I can make it to Lee's summit, Overland Park, Airport, Legends, Liberty in about 30 minutes, closer would be plaza/parkville/river market/zona rosa. It's a little further out of the way but if you have a car its nice, you get a fairly good sized house for not as much as the other places but still close enough to get there. Not many places to "walk to" though, so a car is necessary

Old 01-06-2013, 12:52 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,117,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradysmommy12 View Post
The unemployment rate for KCMO as of Christmas day 2012 is 6.2 where the rest of the country is 7.5 per the Bureau of Labor and Statistics. I lived there for 7 yrs and never ever was unemployed or without a job unless I took time off for college. We are moving back in 3 months because the opportunities there far surpass what we moved to here in Tampa, FL. We always had what we wanted and needed in KCMO, however my 2 yr time in FL we found ourselves unemployed, near homeless and bearly eating enough at times. Can't eat or pay bills if you can't work. The jobs are not here but while in KCMO, we did well. I can't wait to get back! KCMO is not perfect, but it is very livable and it is what you make of it.
I spend a lot of time in Tampa every year (just got back) and can clearly see how bad the job market is there despite many retirees. Many I've run into are looking or are working a much lower grade job than they used to. What part of Tampa you in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or