U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 11:41 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,110,519 times

Advertisements

Probably better to put this kind of stuff in one thread.

15th best place to live..
America's 50 Best Cities - The Best Places to Live - Businessweek

5th in % growth of brain gain/young educated...
America's Biggest Brain Magnets | Newgeography.com

Top tier for IT talent in low cost markets...
http://www.klgadvisors.com/sites/def...arket_View.pdf

Rent.com: KC ranks top 10 for newlyweds for small town warmth with high culture. KC and Minneapolis only two Midwest cities on list.
Rent.com Finds Top Cities to Live in Wedded Bliss - Say I Do to the Best Cities for Newlyweds | The Shared Wall

List of 500 tech/IT/engineering companies in KC (there are nearly 3000), ranks 8th for telcom, 21st for engineering..
Industry Employers Listing | KCnext
TechAmerica Foundation : Kansas City Totals 64,600 Tech Jobs in 2009

13th growth in manufacturing...
Seattle Is Leading An American Manufacturing Revival - Top Manufacturing Growth Regions | Newgeography.com

10th worst dressed...
America's Worst-Dressed People - Articles | Travel + Leisure

KCMO 21st for crime (was about 10th in 2009)...
http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/2010..._hightolow.pdf

Ranks high for developing Android apps...
Guess which cities produce the most Android apps | VentureBeat

15th retirement city for foodies...
15 Retirement Cities For Foodies

Only 20th out of 25 for transit..
How car-centric is your city? Public transit ranked

20th for 'hipsters'...
America's Best Cities for Hipsters- Page 21 - Articles | Travel + Leisure

KCMO city govt top 10 for social media savviness..
City of Chicago ranks 17th in social-media survey - Chicago Sun-Times

Keep them coming...

Last edited by xenokc; 12-11-2012 at 12:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 11:46 AM

Top 10 Cities for Young Entrepreneurs 2011 : Under30CEO
Top 10 Cities for Young Entrepreneurs 2011 : Under30CEO

KC metro somtimes makes some 'fat' lists but when polling actual BMI of people, it comes out in middle...
The List: The Most Obese Cities | US Obesity Rate & Skinniest Cities | LiveScience

9th for most miserable sports city...
http://www.forbes.com/pictures/eddf4...gallerycontent

Travel and Leisure readers like KC, over 40 thousands polled...

No. 1 in affordability
No. 1 in barbecue
No. 2 in driving ability
No. 3 in wireless coverage
No. 4 in sports-crazed citizens (up two spots compared with 2011)
No. 5 in microbrew beer (up one)
No. 6 in hamburgers (up two)
No. 7 in museums/galleries (up two)
No. 7 in antique stores (new in the top 10)
No. 8 in friendly people (down two)
No. 8 in classical music (new)
No. 9 in sports bars (new)
No. 9 in peace and quiet (new)
No. 9 in theater/performance art (new)
No. 10 in flea markets (new)
No. 10 in home decor and design stores (new)
No. 10 in pizza (new)
No. 10 in best times to visit: Christmas (new)

America's Favorite Cities 2012 - City Comparison - Kansas City vs Denver | Travel + Leisure

Last edited by xenokc; 12-11-2012 at 12:19 PM..

Old 12-11-2012, 12:16 PM

Only available in KC, Netflix Ranks Google Fiber as Fastest U.S. ISP

Quote:
If you live in Kansas City, you might want to consider tapping into Google Fiber. According to stats from Netflix, the search giant's 1 gigabit Internet service is the fastest ISP in the U.S.

Netflix announced today that it will start publishing monthly rankings of U.S. IPSs based on their performance across all Netflix streams. "Our 30 million members view over 1 billion hours of Netflix per month, so we have very reliable data for consumers to compare ISPs in terms of real world performance," Netflix's vice president of content delivery, Ken Florance, said in a blog post.
Netflix Ranks Google Fiber as Fastest U.S. ISP | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

Old 01-15-2013, 11:16 AM

This is strange but KC made another list of 29 must see places on planet to see. Only 2 other US cities...

Travel Destinations – 29 Amazing Places You Must Visit

Kansas City wins more hipster travel cred - Kansas City Business Journal

Boston Globe Travel also gave an over-the-top rave review of KC a few months ago...
http://bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/tra...2aP/story.html

Anthony Bourdain also raved about KC on a couple visits for his show, one show was dedicated to KC.

KC is maybe getting too much hype lately with the Google Fiber thing too. I don't think KC could live up to it as much of it is overstated, but is good to get the attention. KC's a great place to live an all, but not exactly a top travel destination. Can't complain but when something is hyped, it can set it up for disappointment. Do any outsiders here who have visited with KC think of it as top destination?

Last edited by xenokc; 01-15-2013 at 11:59 AM..

Old 03-07-2013, 10:00 AM

KC is a top city for vegans? There are plenty of places that cater and a few vegan only places, but I wouldn't think of KC as top 10. Maybe unexpected vegan towns...
Top cities for vegans

They also list KC as top 5 for college grads...
Best cities for college graduates

Edit: VegNews list..
http://vegnews.com/articles/page.do?pageId=4395&catId=2

Last edited by xenokc; 03-07-2013 at 10:11 AM..

Old 03-08-2013, 03:34 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,504,291 times
The problem is I don't think anybody pays much attention to these types of articles or takes them seriously enough to act on them. They are nice pub I suppose, but I’m not sure they have really improved the image of KC much, if any.

I have always wondered what KC could do to promote itself better and I honestly don’t know. It seems like no matter what the city does, people outside of KC (Even St Louis is just now starting to notice KC) generally ignore KC because of its location and stereotyped image.

I think one of the only ways to expose KC to the masses outside of the area is via pro sports and that’s why I thought it would have been worth the extra money to move the ballpark downtown because it wouldn’t have given “urban” KCMO exposure that the city can’t buy.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:47 PM

The are just perception based lists for the most part, to take with grain of salt of course. Is interesting what KC gets called out for, even if not justified or off base. Top 5 vegan city, no. But curious that it gets called out.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:08 AM

677 posts, read 1,146,398 times
It looks like those are two separate top 5 lists for vegan cities, so I don't think it's a fluke.

I don't know if we're top 5, but KC definitely has plenty of good vegan options for a city this size. We have three top-notch vegan restaurants in Fud, Eden Alley, and Cafe Grattitude and plenty of other places that do a great job of catering to vegans and vegetarians.

Also, I googled vegan coffee shops out of curiosity to see how rare an all-vegan coffee shop is. One of the first results that popped up was an article about LA opening their first vegan coffee shop in September 2012, so we have them beat by a couple years.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:20 PM

Nelson Atkins museum expansion hits top 10 on another global architecture list...

ArchDaily 5: The 20 Most Visited Projects of All Time | ArchDaily

Old 03-13-2013, 09:02 PM

196 posts, read 291,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
The problem is I don't think anybody pays much attention to these types of articles or takes them seriously enough to act on them. They are nice pub I suppose, but I’m not sure they have really improved the image of KC much, if any.

I have always wondered what KC could do to promote itself better and I honestly don’t know. It seems like no matter what the city does, people outside of KC (Even St Louis is just now starting to notice KC) generally ignore KC because of its location and stereotyped image.

I think one of the only ways to expose KC to the masses outside of the area is via pro sports and that’s why I thought it would have been worth the extra money to move the ballpark downtown because it wouldn’t have given “urban” KCMO exposure that the city can’t buy.
A downtown ballpark would be a great vehicle for national exposure, but sadly it's a million to one shot. I agree that downtown is where Kauffman Stadium belongs, but I just don't think it will ever happen. The KC public most likely wouldn't be interested and they could probably care less about its benefits.

I have to wonder how moving the entire stadium piece-by-piece, brick-by-brick could be done in a practical and less expensive/time-consuming manner. How could you get the majority of the KC public to support such a project?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City