U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 02:56 PM

14,174 posts, read 22,492,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
That's sort of precisely why I don't understand why you posted in this thread in the first place. You obviously don't know much about real estate or land prices in Kansas City, so your post came across as unnecessary and rude.

This second post has done nothing to change my initial thought.
I posted because I couldn't believe you can buy a house for $20K. I grew up in the KC area, and not in any big fancy houses. If a little ranch cost in the $40Ks in the '70s, it leads me to believe that today, a $20K house has to be a dump, or in a very undesireable location. I just looked up the house my grandmother lived in for years... a 700 sq. ft. house in the Turner area of KCK. Not at all a desireable neighborhood, and it's showing a value of over $50K. This house is within walking distance of nothing, had drug dealer and crazy people for neighbors (as late as the '90s), so I wouldn't expect it to be worth much.

It all comes down to supply and demand. If the house only costs $20K, then there obviously isn't much of any demand for it. And that's for some good reason, like the location is horrible. You get what you pay for. I'd rather live in an apartment than to live in a $20K house with a $50 mortgage. I'd be afraid to walk out my front door!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
You may not be able to build a house for $20K that you can get for $20K, but the cheap houses in KC were built many decades ago. I understand your perspective and shouldn't fault you for it because it's normal. You're just not in touch with the bargains out there because you don't have to be and otherwise don't have any interest. Personally, I'm all about bargains and having a lot for little. That applies to cars too, clothes, even rental condos in Puerto Vallarta. It's amazing what you can have for so little - if you put your mind to it.
I like a bargain as much as the next person, but I'm a firm believer in "If it seems to good to be true, then it probably is". It's like if someone was selling a car for $25, I wouldn't want it because it would surely be a piece of crap.

Old 12-13-2012, 03:31 PM

1,145 posts, read 1,998,573 times
You can find houses that are tiny in Sugar Creek and Western Independence for 20k. I almost bought 2nd house/vacation house by Hays KS for like 7k in good shape, but figured that hays wouldn't really be a vacation spot. A co worker bought a house in independence for like 16k but it was tiny

Old 12-13-2012, 03:36 PM

3,572 posts, read 6,195,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I posted because I couldn't believe you can buy a house for $20K. I grew up in the KC area, and not in any big fancy houses. If a little ranch cost in the $40Ks in the '70s, it leads me to believe that today, a $20K house has to be a dump, or in a very undesireable location. I just looked up the house my grandmother lived in for years... a 700 sq. ft. house in the Turner area of KCK. Not at all a desireable neighborhood, and it's showing a value of over $50K. This house is within walking distance of nothing, had drug dealer and crazy people for neighbors (as late as the '90s), so I wouldn't expect it to be worth much.

It all comes down to supply and demand. If the house only costs $20K, then there obviously isn't much of any demand for it. And that's for some good reason, like the location is horrible. You get what you pay for. I'd rather live in an apartment than to live in a $20K house with a $50 mortgage. I'd be afraid to walk out my front door!
Turner is a halfway decent school district. They've built a new, amazing high school. A lot of wealthy business owners live in that area on estate lots, but of course there's a white trash element too. The area has a new SunFresh grocery store and is right down the street from the newer Merriam Town Center and Cinemark movie theater and soon to be IKEA. Desirability is relative, and Turner is decent to some folks. Not everybody can afford $180K houses, which is the average newer suburban housing price in KC. Yet even then you can get a newer house (5 yrs old) in suburban Independence or Blue Springs for $100K-ish. There are deals to be had. You seem really out of touch with anybody who isn't well-paid white collar. Remember, not everybody is. It's like, what, 1/3rd of the country's adults have bachelor's degrees or higher? And even then, not everybody who is college educated is makes even the median salary. Further, not everybody who is college educated and well salaried chooses to live in what you think is desirable. Part of the reason demand is low in some areas and housing cheap is because people are scared, racist, and running off stereotypes. Although, I do realize for people with kids, good schools are a must, but even that is relative, and even in the best districts there is housing that can be had for under $100K. Check out this site, for the Prairiefire at Lionsgate mixed-use/retail developmen in south Overland Park. Click on "About" and "meet the people". You see that? That's the sort of segregation people with thinking similar to yours are all about. (Oh the horror of living within a mile of folks who don't know what Diane von Furstenberg is.) I think it causes problems in our country. Social segregation is a huge issue, and this stuff all sort of touches on it. LOL @ $50 mortgage...the point of buying below your means is to get that house paid off and have that income going toward a mortgage for other things. Same reason to seek out a steal on a car (including avoiding loss on a non-investment).

Quote:
I like a bargain as much as the next person, but I'm a firm believer in "If it seems to good to be true, then it probably is". It's like if someone was selling a car for $25, I wouldn't want it because it would surely be a piece of crap.
You have to be smart, careful, and open minded to find true bargains. True bargains are out there.

Old 12-13-2012, 03:43 PM

Collin Raye - Not That Different - YouTube

Old 12-13-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Turner is a halfway decent school district. They've built a new, amazing high school. A lot of wealthy business owners live in that area on estate lots, but of course there's a white trash element too. The area has a new SunFresh grocery store and is right down the street from the newer Merriam Town Center and Cinemark movie theater and soon to be IKEA. Desirability is relative, and Turner is decent to some folks. Not everybody can afford $180K houses, which is the average newer suburban housing price in KC. Yet even then you can get a newer house (5 yrs old) in suburban Independence or Blue Springs for $100K-ish. There are deals to be had. You seem really out of touch with anybody who isn't well-paid white collar. Remember, not everybody is. It's like, what, 1/3rd of the country's adults have bachelor's degrees or higher? And even then, not everybody who is college educated is makes even the median salary. Further, not everybody who is college educated and well salaried chooses to live in what you think is desirable. Part of the reason demand is low in some areas and housing cheap is because people are scared, racist, and running off stereotypes. Although, I do realize for people with kids, good schools are a must, but even that is relative, and even in the best districts there is housing that can be had for under $100K. Check out this site, for the Prairiefire at Lionsgate mixed-use/retail developmen in south Overland Park. Click on "About" and "meet the people". You see that? That's the sort of segregation people with thinking similar to yours are all about. (Oh the horror of living within a mile of folks who don't know what Diane von Furstenberg is.) I think it causes problems in our country. Social segregation is a huge issue, and this stuff all sort of touches on it. LOL @ $50 mortgage...the point of buying below your means is to get that house paid off and have that income going toward a mortgage for other things. Same reason to seek out a steal on a car (including avoiding loss on a non-investment).

You have to be smart, careful, and open minded to find true bargains. True bargains are out there.
I don't know how we jumped to segregation and racism, but I assure you, I'm not equating crappy housing with non-whites. I live in a very diverse neighborhood/area in Denver and am quite happy with that But the OP was asking if there was anything wrong with a house listed for $20K. Even at KC average home prices, I would suggest extreme caution to anyone looking at a house that cheap. Now if they asked me about a $50K house in Hayes, KS, I'd figure it could be a decent house. Demand out there is low because not that many people want to live in an isolated town on the plains.

So I checked out the neighborhood in question on google street view and while some of the houses look reasonably kept, there are also boarded up/dillapitated houses, trash, weeds, disinigrating curbs, overgrown vegetation, etc.

Last edited by denverian; 12-13-2012 at 04:05 PM..

Old 12-13-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
I don't know how we jumped to segregation and racism, but I assure you, I'm not equating crappy housing with non-whites. I live in a very diverse neighborhood/area in Denver and am quite happy with that But the OP was asking if there was anything wrong with a house listed for $20K. Even at KC average home prices, I would suggest extreme caution to anyone looking at a house that cheap. Now if they asked me about a $50K house in Hayes, KS, I'd figure it could be a decent house. Demand out there is low because not that many people want to live in an isolated town on the plains.
Well, I gave my advice in my first post to the OP. Truman Rd is a so-so area for dirt cheap housing, but north of Independence Ave (the Northeast area), the Central Ave corridor in KCK, and Independence are all better choices. But even then, further outside the city, Belton, Olathe, and Leavenworth are more suburban and/or small-townish places away from urban problems with dirt cheap housing offerings. Anywhere in KCK outside of the far northeast (north of Parallel, east of 635) is worth looking into.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:31 PM

I'd hate to know what you think of the $5 bottle of wine I'm drinking. Cuz you know, a bottle of wine is supposed to cost $20!

Old 12-14-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
I'd hate to know what you think of the $5 bottle of wine I'm drinking. Cuz you know, a bottle of wine is supposed to cost $20!
I drink 2 Buck Chuck. Sometimes I have to choke it down, but hey, it's cheap! And depending on the batch, sometimes it goes down smooth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or