U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 03:41 AM

341 posts, read 403,661 times

Advertisements

I might have to move to kc mo and saw this area when looking for houses. I guess the area is called east community team north and the house is at lawn ave and e 16th st. Is that a bad neighborhood full of crime or a decent one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 05:11 AM

3,572 posts, read 6,195,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travel-a-lot View Post
I might have to move to kc mo and saw this area when looking for houses. I guess the area is called east community team north and the house is at lawn ave and e 16th st. Is that a bad neighborhood full of crime or a decent one.
I see you're looking at $20K houses.

16th and Lawn - the Truman Road corridor - isn't THAT bad. But nearby areas, to the south and especially to the southwest get very bad very quick. The worst, most violent area of KCMO is not too far southwest of 16th and Lawn, 1 mile or so. Generally the Prospect and Indiana corridors in the 20s and 30s are the worst neighborhoods in the city.

That said, while the Truman Rd corridor isn't that bad, there are certainly better areas of the city for dirt-cheap housing. North of Independence Ave, the 'Northeast' area is a very good choice, one of the best in KCMO for cheap housing. KCKS has a similar area to Northeast, which is probably a little bit safer and lower in crime, and that's the Central Ave area, east of 635 and between I-70 on the south and State Ave on the north. You might also check out Independence, MO, which is very safe considering the cost of housing.

If you're really set on the house off Truman though and check the area out and like it, I wouldn't let others opinions stop you. It's not THAT bad for cheap housing, just not the best.

Our local real estate site has an excellent search-by-map feature:

http://www.reeceandnichols.com/Listi....aspx?view=map

Old 12-13-2012, 09:33 AM

14,174 posts, read 22,496,291 times
20K? I'd be pretty hesitant to buy a house that cost less than my car! That couldn't be a good neighborhood, or the house is falling apart.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:30 AM

12,064 posts, read 27,207,945 times
^Could you sound any more snotty?

Old 12-13-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
20K? I'd be pretty hesitant to buy a house that cost less than my car! That couldn't be a good neighborhood, or the house is falling apart.
Denver and Kansas City are vastly different in terms of the housing market. Whereas Denver is VERY expensive, Kansas City is VERY cheap. I'm not sure if that difference is part of your ignorance or not, but there you go. I've run across houses in KC recently that are as low as $12K that are small but in VERY good shape for such a low price as well as in reasonably safe, potentially up-and-coming areas just outside of high-end neighborhoods. You can even find houses MUCH cheaper than $12K in KC, but they are typically in bad shape. Provided there are no structural problems and the like, for such low prices people can have a cheap place to live or even completely renovate (wiring, insulation, siding, hvac, etc.) and still come out dirt cheap. Not everybody who buys cheap is poor either. Some folks just "know the value of a dollar". In Denver, however, you can't find a house for less than 50K, and there are very few available toward that lower end of pricing. Denver is different because the population is larger. Inner city Denver has attracted a TON of people and many from California and that drove prices up. Whereas Denver's older housing stock is much more utilized, KC has more of it and it is underutilized because of sprawl. A ton of supply = low prices. Not to mention, KC's crime is horrible and people are scared of areas that are merely working class but not necessarily ghetto or dangerous.

Educate yourself (just because you haven't looked or *had to* doesn't mean cheap-living options don't exist):

Denver single-family homes (prices low to high):
Denver Real Estate - Denver, CO Homes for Sale - REALTOR.com®

Kansas City:
Kansas City Real Estate - Kansas City, MO Homes for Sale - REALTOR.com®

Old 12-13-2012, 11:53 AM

5,239 posts, read 6,513,758 times
Quote:
And the bad thing is that the car loses value as it ages. On the other hand, find a good foreclosure, invest some time and money and ya not only have a decent place to live, but the ability to make some money when selling it.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:54 PM

I know housing is cheaper in KC, but the small house my parents bought in 1978 (1000 sq. ft.) was $42K. I'm just saying... I don't think you could go buy all the material today to build a 2 bdr. house for $20K, even if the lot was free.

When I think of cheap housing, I think $100K. But $20K... there would have to be very little demand for such a house, which translates to something being terribly wrong with it.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Denver and Kansas City are vastly different in terms of the housing market. Whereas Denver is VERY expensive, Kansas City is VERY cheap. I'm not sure if that difference is part of your ignorance or not, but there you go. I've run across houses in KC recently that are as low as $12K that are small but in VERY good shape for such a low price as well as in reasonably safe, potentially up-and-coming areas just outside of high-end neighborhoods. You can even find houses MUCH cheaper than $12K in KC, but they are typically in bad shape. Provided there are no structural problems and the like, for such low prices people can have a cheap place to live or even completely renovate (wiring, insulation, siding, hvac, etc.) and still come out dirt cheap. Not everybody who buys cheap is poor either. Some folks just "know the value of a dollar". In Denver, however, you can't find a house for less than 50K, and there are very few available toward that lower end of pricing. Denver is different because the population is larger. Inner city Denver has attracted a TON of people and many from California and that drove prices up. Whereas Denver's older housing stock is much more utilized, KC has more of it and it is underutilized because of sprawl. A ton of supply = low prices. Not to mention, KC's crime is horrible and people are scared of areas that are merely working class but not necessarily ghetto or dangerous.

Educate yourself (just because you haven't looked or *had to* doesn't mean cheap-living options don't exist):

Denver single-family homes (prices low to high):
Denver Real Estate - Denver, CO Homes for Sale - REALTOR.com®

Kansas City:
Kansas City Real Estate - Kansas City, MO Homes for Sale - REALTOR.com®

That one in KC for $29K still looks very undesirable, but it's shocking you can buy a house that cheap. I would think the land alone would be worth more. The $50K house in Commerce City, CO... I can tell you, is in a total crap neighborhood. If you like living in the shaddow of a power plant and down wind from the sewer processing plant and a dog food factory with neighbors who are on meth and have two crazed pit bulls tied up out front, then that's the property for you

Old 12-13-2012, 02:25 PM

12,064 posts, read 27,207,945 times
Quote:
That one in KC for $29K still looks very undesirable, but it's shocking you can buy a house that cheap. I would think the land alone would be worth more. The $50K house in Commerce City, CO... I can tell you, is in a total crap neighborhood. If you like living in the shaddow of a power plant and down wind from the sewer processing plant and a dog food factory with neighbors who are on meth and have two crazed pit bulls tied up out front, then that's the property for you
That's sort of precisely why I don't understand why you posted in this thread in the first place. You obviously don't know much about real estate or land prices in Kansas City, so your post came across as unnecessary and rude.

This second post has done nothing to change my initial thought.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
I know housing is cheaper in KC, but the small house my parents bought in 1978 (1000 sq. ft.) was $42K. I'm just saying... I don't think you could go buy all the material today to build a 2 bdr. house for $20K, even if the lot was free.

When I think of cheap housing, I think $100K. But $20K... there would have to be very little demand for such a house, which translates to something being terribly wrong with it.
You may not be able to build a house for $20K that you can get for $20K, but the cheap houses in KC were built many decades ago. I understand your perspective and shouldn't fault you for it because it's normal. You're just not in touch with the bargains out there because you don't have to be and otherwise don't have any interest. Personally, I'm all about bargains and having a lot for little. That applies to cars too, clothes, even rental condos in Puerto Vallarta. It's amazing what you can have for so little - if you put your mind to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or