U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 02:19 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,509,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
As to the question of route alignment, I believe it should dogleg over to Broadway somewhere around Liberty Memorial (perhaps by creating a stop right at the museum entrance.) That way, the streetcar would run right through the heart of the Westport district, and in better proximity to the shopping activity on the Plaza. Then it could cross the creek and pick up Ward parkway for a few blocks east for a UMKC terminus.
Perfect plan. I love it. Do it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 03:24 PM

1,298 posts, read 984,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
^I personally would prefer that but straight lines are easier to understand for less transient oriented, especially visitors, and that's partly the audience the streetcar targets.
I thought about that, although when "showing visitors around" the city, it's also good to take them directly into the most interesting and popular districts. A straight Main street alignment would not necessarily fail to do that, but passing through Westport on Broadway, and through the Plaza on JC Nichols, are more tantalizing to tourists than passing through on Main, making them more likely to hop off. Also, those who are hanging out in those districts will be more likely to hop on.

IMHO.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:25 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,509,283 times
Quote:
^I personally would prefer that but straight lines are easier to understand for less transient oriented, especially visitors, and that's partly the audience the streetcar targets. Is highly likely it will go straight down Main then Bside Blvd to UMKC and eventually Bside shops. Would like to see a Broadway MAX line to address direct Westport access for the locals who don't care about transit mode.

Lots more discussion here..
KCRag Forum - View topic - Phase 2 streetcar to UMKC
That is a straight line. It could still look like a single straight line on a transit map, should not be confusing at all. Now MAX downtown is terrible. There is no way to simplify that.

This thing needs to hit westport, the plaza and what a great way to get something going at Penn Valley Park and along broadway yet it will still serve Downtown, Crown Center etc. This is the "touristy frou frou" starter line that KC has needed for 20 years.

Is there any support for transit along broadway or even main in midtown? Seems like that corridor has always had a lot of organized business opposition to rail based transit along main or broadway. Hope things have changed.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:00 PM

149 posts, read 224,740 times
Did Clay Chaistain have anything to do with this

Old 01-24-2013, 06:15 PM

3,572 posts, read 6,202,026 times
Quote:
As to the question of route alignment, I believe it should dogleg over to Broadway somewhere around Liberty Memorial (perhaps by creating a stop right at the museum entrance.) That way, the streetcar would run right through the heart of the Westport district, and in better proximity to the shopping activity on the Plaza. Then it could cross the creek and pick up Ward parkway for a few blocks east for a UMKC terminus.
That's a brilliant alignment.

Quote:
I thought about that, although when "showing visitors around" the city, it's also good to take them directly into the most interesting and popular districts. A straight Main street alignment would not necessarily fail to do that, but passing through Westport on Broadway, and through the Plaza on JC Nichols, are more tantalizing to tourists than passing through on Main, making them more likely to hop off. Also, those who are hanging out in those districts will be more likely to hop on.

IMHO.
I absolutely agree with everything you've said here. Other positives with your alignment is that it more directly serves Penn Valley Community College, a high-potential/walkable section of Broadway, the South Plaza, and Plaza Library. I see more 'critical mass' with a Broadway route through midtown. Broadway is more centrally located as far as being the 'spine' of the midtown/Plaza area.

Negatives? It's not a perfectly straight line, is more distant from Union Hill, Martini Corner, much of Armour BLVD, and the art museums, and neglects Main Street, which needs the type of help a streetcar would bring. And I would hope and see the potential for a Main St line bringing Wesport eastward (more activity along Westport Rd east of Broadway) and enthrive the building stock along Main that has so much potential but is currently being underutilized.

Broadway makes a lot of sense. But Main Street needs a lot of help, like that a streetcar is supposed to bring. It's hard for me to decide in my own mind which route would be best. If a streetcar actually spurs residential through midtown, I definitely see more slots along Main and just east of Main to build on or where there are worthless structures I wouldn't mind seeing replaced (there are a lot of suburban-style apartment buildings set up in an urban format between Main and Gillham). I know somebody personally who played a huge role in thwarting one of the previous lightrail proposals. A major concern was the development along Main would encroach on a historic district, historic architecture, and take away from the character of the neighborhood. If there's validity to that concern and what applied to lightrail applies to a streetcar, I think it would be worse along Broadway. Granted, this individual's worry about Kay Barnes and her "development cronies" seemed a bit paranoid.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:51 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,148,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
is more distant from Union Hill, Martini Corner, much of Armour BLVD, and the art museums, and neglects Main Street, which needs the type of help a streetcar would bring. And I would hope and see the potential for a Main St line bringing Wesport eastward (more activity along Westport Rd east of Broadway) and enthrive the building stock along Main that has so much potential but is currently being underutilized.

Broadway makes a lot of sense. But Main Street needs a lot of help, like that a streetcar is supposed to bring. It's hard for me to decide in my own mind which route would be best.
You could pretty much solve those concerns by running it on Main all the way to Westport RD., then jogging over to Broadway (slightly shorter route, so less track and $$, too).

Old 01-25-2013, 11:06 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,111,988 times
rwiksell, post your idea here... The City pays attention to this site for public suggestions more than others...

Transportation | Midtown Plaza by MindMixer

This site also has a big discussion on next expansion and has a couple transit planners involved...
Phase 2 streetcar to UMKC

Old 01-25-2013, 12:49 PM

1,298 posts, read 984,500 times
Quote:
rwiksell, post your idea here... The City pays attention to this site for public suggestions more than others...

Transportation | Midtown Plaza by MindMixer
Thanks so much all of you for your encouragement! I have never seen this much enthusiastic agreement about ANYTHING in this forum.

XenoKC - I sincerely appreciate your suggestion, so I took it. I don't know if this link will work, but it's where I posted my idea: Streetcar Phase 2 - Broadway/Nichols Alignment through Midtown | Midtown Plaza by MindMixer

One other thought: It should be made clear in the course of debates whether the main goal is 1) to spur development along the route, or 2) to achieve maximum ridership, or what mix of the two goals is desired. If it's #1, then Main is ideal. If it's #2, then Broadway/Nichols. But I'd hate for it to run down Main, and have people complain that ridership is low.

Thirdly, if the goal is the quickest possible run then Main is also ideal, but I don't expect that to be the first priority.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:51 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,111,988 times
Sounds good. I just voted for your idea. Post on the other forum as well, you might build up some more votes.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:11 PM

3,572 posts, read 6,202,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
You could pretty much solve those concerns by running it on Main all the way to Westport RD., then jogging over to Broadway (slightly shorter route, so less track and $$, too).
That's a thought. And Westport being diagonal would make for 'softer' turns for the streetcar. That said, Linwood would do that too if cutting over further north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City