U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-17-2012, 02:54 PM
 
5 posts, read 37,793 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Im a 30 yo single male looking at a possible job in Kansas City soon and have been doing some real estate research. Im interested in the fact that there are some dirt cheap places for sale, some even under 10k. Now i have no illusions that these houses need major maintenance and I would be willing to fix them, but I am unfamiliar with the neighborhoods. What I've read on this forum is that the city overall is great but there are certain areas to avoid. The problem is that no post I have seen has explicitly said where these areas are. I would be appreciative if some locals could give me the rough areas to avoid (west of this street, north of that street, etc...). I have no problem being somewhere that isnt the prettiest part of town, but I know there are some places that are just dangerous to live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-17-2012, 03:25 PM
 
Location: Old Hyde Park, Kansas City,MO
1,145 posts, read 1,998,573 times
Reputation: 562
Usually anything East of Troost to about Van Brunt is considered dangerous, there are so so/so neighborhoods between Paseo and Troost from Armour to About 52nd street, these areas are slowly rebounding and have some pretty strong neighborhood groups
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2012, 03:38 PM
 
5 posts, read 37,793 times
Reputation: 10
Well boo... The kills most of the places I was looking at. Whats the area north of 23rd and south of independence like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2012, 04:54 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
3,572 posts, read 6,195,578 times
Reputation: 2549
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
Usually anything East of Troost to about Van Brunt is considered dangerous, there are so so/so neighborhoods between Paseo and Troost from Armour to About 52nd street, these areas are slowly rebounding and have some pretty strong neighborhood groups
Are you actually familiar with the city, or are you reciting knowledge you've gained from a recent Kansas City Star article? The reason I ask is because those "so/so" neighborhoods between Paseo and Troost extend at least to 63rd and really all the way south. Personally, I think between Troost and Paseo is best south of the stretch you mentioned. Oh, and I'm not sure Troost north of Armour is any worse than south, either. Van Brunt isn't all that dangerous. The truly dangerous neighborhoods, where most of the crime is centered, are along the Prospect and Indiana corridors, in the 20s and 30s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2012, 05:04 PM
 
1,830 posts, read 3,109,249 times
Reputation: 532
If a home is priced under $50K, there's usually a significant reason why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2012, 05:07 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
3,572 posts, read 6,195,578 times
Reputation: 2549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighook01 View Post
Well boo... The kills most of the places I was looking at. Whats the area north of 23rd and south of independence like?
North of Independence Ave (the broad "Northeast" area of the city) is probably the best area for cheap housing. Staying north of Truman Rd (which is 15th St) isn't that bad either. I wouldn't go as far south as 23rd, except along the Van Brunt corridor (far east, Independence border area). But north of Independence Ave definitely is best out of those options.

If you want to be close to upscale groceries, restaurants, the Plaza, etc., I would look along the Troost and Paseo corridors south of Brush Creek (basically south of 47th). Paseo in that area has some very nice housing cheap and all of those neighborhoods are only a few blocks from the city's best areas...like Brookside, Crestwood, Loose Park, and the Country Club Plaza. I probably wouldn't go east of Paseo though, even though Blue Hills has nice old bungalows with a lot of potential.

Other than what's mentioned, if you keep your eyes open there are cheap houses that come up in Midtown, which is between downtown and the Plaza and in the middle of everything. Basically between State Line, Troost, 43rd and 31st, and the best parts are furthest west, staying close to KS.

Another option is KCK, along its Central Ave corridor (between I-70 and State Ave, east of 635), which is directly west of downtown KCMO. That area is like KCMO's Northeast area and similarly has cheap housing while being a bit safer. Actually, all of KCK is worth checking out for cheap housing, except stay far away from the Quindaro BLVD corridor, which is the far NE part of the city.

Our local real estate firm has an excellent search by map feature if you haven't found it already:

Listing Search Form - Search for Real Estate Properties |
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2012, 05:13 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
3,572 posts, read 6,195,578 times
Reputation: 2549
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
If a home is priced under $50K, there's usually a significant reason why.
As long as there are no structural issues and the area isn't flat out dangerous (like 27th and Prospect), then somebody who knows a thing or two about houses can create a diamond in the rough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2012, 08:08 PM
 
5 posts, read 37,793 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post

...If you want to be close to upscale groceries, restaurants, the Plaza, etc.,
That brings up something else. What is (if any) the Grocery chain that is most prevalent up there? I ask cause it doesn't help if you get a place for a good price if you're 20mi (exaggeration) from the nearest grocery store. Im trying to do a fair bit of reconnaissance so I can have some clue of where to look when I get there.

And thanks for everyones input. Any opinions and ideas are welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2012, 08:30 PM
 
Location: Old Hyde Park, Kansas City,MO
1,145 posts, read 1,998,573 times
Reputation: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Are you actually familiar with the city, or are you reciting knowledge you've gained from a recent Kansas City Star article? The reason I ask is because those "so/so" neighborhoods between Paseo and Troost extend at least to 63rd and really all the way south. Personally, I think between Troost and Paseo is best south of the stretch you mentioned. Oh, and I'm not sure Troost north of Armour is any worse than south, either. Van Brunt isn't all that dangerous. The truly dangerous neighborhoods, where most of the crime is centered, are along the Prospect and Indiana corridors, in the 20s and 30s.
Why would you insult me like that, I am really familar with the city. I didn't mention that area because those homes are probably out his price range, that 49-63 neighborhood is very strong and homes go in the 100k plus range, its like an extension of brookside.

Areas like Squier Park which is Armour to 39th from Paseo to Troost might be in his range and is an up and coming area, the 49-63 hood was not worth mentioning because its pretty well established.
Ivanhoe is another neighborhood that might fit his price range as well if he can find it anything for cheap.

There is this neighborhood in the Northeast that might be really safe because this church group has taken over the whole neighborhood and has established urban farming and a real sense of community, they are in the Lykins Neighborhood. 64127 http://theurbanfarmingguys.com/about
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2012, 09:16 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
3,572 posts, read 6,195,578 times
Reputation: 2549
Sorry.

But eastern 49/63, between Troost and Paseo, definitely has houses well under $100K. Even well under $50K. I mention it because it's, like you say, basically an extension of Brookside, should somebody want to be near upscale amenities.

I'm glad to hear Lykins is doing well.

To the OP:

Our local grocery stores, at least those in the areas we're discussing, are locally owned Associated Wholesale Grocers stores. Price Chopper, Sunfresh, Apple Market. But there are also Aldi and Save-A-Lot stores in the city. All areas mentioned have nearby grocery stores. Multiple in fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top