U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2012, 07:55 PM

21 posts, read 20,562 times

Advertisements

Hello, My boyfriend and I just moved to the city. We are looking for some recommendations for restaurants. We don't want the usual chain restaurants. We like anything from little hole in the walls to high end. Also we are looking for some cheap entertainment.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 10:54 PM

677 posts, read 1,145,583 times
Well, that is a fairly broad question that I'm sure will elicit many answers (I was just talking with some transplants yesterday who commented on the wealth of good eating options KC has) , but I'll give you some of my favorites.

Ethnic:
Mediterranean - Aladdin Cafe, Little Egypt Cafe
Ethiopian - I prefer Duo/East African (that place seems to keep changing names) but I usually end up at Blue Nile more often because that seems to be what others prefer
Vietnamese - Vietnam Cafe (Columbus Park)
Mexican - Los Tules, El Patron
Indian - Korma Sutra

Brunch/Lunch:
Beer Kitchen, Succotash, Happy Gillis, Nica's

Good Bar Food:
Foundry, McCoys

Tapas places with good happy hours:
La Bodega, Extra Virgin

Vegetarian:
Fud, Eden Alley

Pizza:
Wood fired: Pizza Bella
KC Classic: Minsky's

Moderately Pricey/Nicer places:
Farmhouse, Rieger Hotel

High End:
Blue Stem

I'm probably forgetting some of my favorite places, but that is enough to get you started.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:05 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,109,783 times
^All good. Here are some of my favorites in midtown/downtown area...

Bfast/Brunch: You Say Tomato, Succotash, Chez Elle (crepes), Eggtc, Room 39, Happy Gillis

Diner Dives: City Diner, Dagwoods, Poco's, Chubby's, curious about Sosa's opening soon

Ethnic: Agree with Little Egypt (including Friday buffet), Aladdin, Vietnamese Cafe. Also Habashi House, Pho Hoa, Hien Vuong, Lulu's Thai, Blue Koi (especially noodle soups), Blue Nile, Marrakesh Cafe

For Mexican i prefer the street counter places like Rico's Tacos Lupe on Blvd. KCK has many like El Camino Real, Ninfas, El Torito II and San Antonio Tortilleria. El Patron is my favorite of sitdown places.

Lounge eats/drinks: Bluestem, The Drop, Manifesto/Reiger, Kill Devil Club

Dive bars: Dave's Stagecoach Inn, Caddy Shack, Blarney Stone and the place next door that just says 'Cocktails', Twin City Tavern, Buzzard Beach, there are many

Music: The Brick, Record Bar, Czar Bar, The Foundation (opens around 1am, jam sessions til dawn on weekends), Phoenix (jazz/blues), Kill Devil Club

Dining: Bluestem, Michael Smiths, Pierponts, Julian, Reiger, Justus Drugstore (Smithville)

Locatarian: Anton's, Farmhouse, Justus Drugstore, Peanches, WestSide Local, Bluebird, Green Dirt, Local Pig (meat shop and supplies many restaurants)

Old 12-19-2012, 05:55 PM

677 posts, read 1,145,583 times
You got some more good ones in there. In particular Blue Koi is one of my favorites that I omitted.

I may have to give Marrakesh Cafe another shot. I keep hearing positive reviews, but my one visit was very lackluster.

As far as other cheap entertainment options, there are many art related events that are generally free or cheap. The biggest are the openings on First Fridays, but you can find events at galleries on any weekend. The theatre scene is also pretty lively with numerous productions and theaters of varying sizes. If you want to see cheap or free concerts (classical, jazz, new music, dance), you might want to check out the UMKC Conservatory's performance schedule.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:40 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,109,783 times
Yeah First Friday's in Crossroads downtown is a big monthly street party to check out. Also check out First Saturday morning/afternoon in W Bottoms for an antique district crawl. Though most are usually open most days...

kc core dump - misc street views

Old 12-20-2012, 11:22 AM

3,625 posts, read 6,759,161 times
You must try Strouds. If fried chicken isn't your thing, try the Chicken Fried Steak or the chicken livers.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:56 AM

21 posts, read 20,562 times
Thank you all! My boyfriend is starting a culinary program so we have a love of food. It will take us awhile to get through this list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City