U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 05:11 PM

376 posts, read 429,838 times

Advertisements

That's a fine area, though very suburban. If that's what you're after, it's not a bad choice.

Union Hill, Crossroads and Westport are districts within the city of Kansas City, Missouri. Union Hill is a beautiful neighborhood of historic and new town homes south of Crown Center, a major commercial district. Westport is a very old neighborhood that's built around bars, restaurants and nightlife and caters to a younger crowd, and the Crossroads is an arts district just south of downtown that's largely loft conversions, galleries, art studios, etc.—very much a hipster vibe, though the Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts is there as well as some first class restaurants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 07:42 AM

171 posts, read 228,195 times
My daughter and her husband are transferring there, so they just want a nice, safe area. They are having their first baby, so they are looking for a more traditional area.

Thank you for your help!

Old 02-28-2014, 07:59 AM

12,607 posts, read 14,617,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini1959 View Post
My daughter and her husband are transferring there, so they just want a nice, safe area. They are having their first baby, so they are looking for a more traditional area.

Thank you for your help!
They might want to look on the Kansas side in Johnson County. Very safe, great schools. And you can get to anywhere in the metro, Kansas or Missouri side, easily.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:40 AM

677 posts, read 1,146,398 times
Just to clairfy, Arrowhead Trafficway is not by Arrowhead Stadium, which the previous poster was asking about.

The area between Arrowhead Tfwy (aka 169) and 435 is rather large and has a range of neighborhoods - everything from typical middle/upper-middle class suburbia to more blue-collar, working class neighborhoods and even some areas the feel a bit rural. All of the areas are perfectly safe.

What do you mean by a "traditional area"? You can definitely find decent rental houses for $1,000 per month in good areas, but there may not be a large selection and you may have to make compromises at that price (they will often be pretty small).

I would recommend the Waldo area. It has a good selection of small rental homes in that price range and it is very popular for young/new families.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:12 AM

35,818 posts, read 39,375,570 times
Need more clarification on "traditional area." At the moment, I can think of little about KC that could be described as intensely NONtraditional.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:58 PM

Sorry, I guess I mean "family" more so than urban/bar/shopping areas.

She found a cute little house in what I think is the Gladstone area, from the looks of it online it's a cute little house in a nice enough looking neighborhood. They don't need a huge place, just them and a baby - maybe a guest room

KC looks like a very nice place, I look forward to visiting one day. I've lived on both coasts and in the Midwest but have never been there. They are moving from Dallas, it was nice to be able to visit there, too.

Again, I truly appreciate the insight. Hard to tell things sometimes just from what you see on a map. This forum is a great help.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:13 PM

35,818 posts, read 39,375,570 times
Well, there are obviously families who do live in areas that have access to dining, entertainment, and shopping, be it urban or suburban.

Gladstone is a family-friendly area...and near enough to all the typical amenities a young family would require. Most, if not all of it, falls in the North Kansas City school district (at least, every student I ever worked with who lived in Gladstone was a NKC student), which is a decent district.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:09 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,504,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
They might want to look on the Kansas side in Johnson County. Very safe, great schools. And you can get to anywhere in the metro, Kansas or Missouri side, easily.
I could be wrong, but I would think that if somebody is looking at a location in the far northland that they probably are not going to be too interested in the opposite side of the metro area that could be 40-50 miles or more away.

you never know though!

Old 02-28-2014, 11:17 PM

12,607 posts, read 14,617,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I could be wrong, but I would think that if somebody is looking at a location in the far northland that they probably are not going to be too interested in the opposite side of the metro area that could be 40-50 miles or more away.

you never know though!
It's not 40 or 50 miles away, and you know as well as I do that it doesn't take long to get anywhere in the metro. She said she was looking at areas on a map. She doesn't know the area at all and wasn't looking specifically for the northland, I don't think. Johnson County is just as viable an option as anywhere north.

Remember there was a poster a while back who was going to work near the airport? And you guys were trying to talk him into moving to the northland? And when he visited he decided on Overland Park/Blue Valley? Guess he liked what he saw and it was worth it to drive "40 or 50 miles" .

Old 03-03-2014, 11:04 AM

[Well, there are obviously families who do live in areas that have access to dining, entertainment, and shopping, be it urban or suburban]

Obviously that is the case. But they wanted more explanation and I may not have adequately provided that. My point was more of a "neighborhood" feel than "urban" in the middle of downtown/shops/bars etc.

Having access is different than living right in the middle of it all. That's all I meant.

I appreciate everyone's input. They found a realtor who deals with rentals, and a friend there has also let us know what is safe and what isn't. Any information helps I'm sure they'll find something that works. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or