U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 02:16 PM

116 posts, read 109,354 times

Advertisements

Hi, right now I currently live in Columbus, Ohio and looking at a job opportunity in Kansas City, MO. I absolutely know nothing about Kansas City, MO as well as the safe areas around the city. The job that I may receive is for the Fire Department so I could live anywhere in the Kansas City metro with no problem.

I am Mid-20s and still enjoy the night life, as well as sports. Like I said, I know nothing about the Kansas City Metro and was kind of looking for help as to where the Nice/Safe neighborhoods are.

Thank You.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 02:51 PM

7,718 posts, read 9,453,536 times
Sounds like you want to live in the city, so this may not matter, but I'm pretty sure if you work for the KCFD, they have a city residency requirement meaning you must reside within the city limits of KCMO. Now KCMO has a huge city limits and incudes urban and suburban areas and offers just about any lifestyle a person could want, but even so, the city of KC is only about 1/4 of the metro and you would need to stick with a kcmo address. Just FYI. Also most of the suburban areas of the city of KCMO are north of the river. This part of KCMO is basically an independent suburb that that happens to be under the same city hall and addresses will start with NE or NW.

KCMO is mostly safe. I think you will find many threads about safe areas and the general rule of thumb is the east side of KCMO is the bad side. Some like to say east of Troost, I think that's far too vague myself and I think people need to stop saying that because it's not accurate.

Anyway the east side of KCMO has some pretty rough areas. I think you can generally get a feel for an area's safely by the price of the homes or the rental rates. If they seem much lower than average, there is generally a reason. Although there are some exceptions to that rule. Parts of Midtown etc can get pretty cheap, but the crime there is relatively average for an urban large city, nothing crazy, but more than the suburbs. Basically what you might expect and nothing most urban minded people can't deal with.

So the east side. Basically areas (not all) west of 435 south of the MO river and North of 435. Like I said, the western border is hard to define. Some areas are okay as far west as state line and some areas get rough as far west as Broadway.

Generally, the desirable areas are the Plaza, South Plaza, Westport, West Plaza, W 39th, UMKC, parts of Midtown, Union Hill, Crossroads, Downtown and River Market with smaller areas inside these areas like Valentine etc. Basically between the river 75th and state line to that fuzzy eastern edge.

Now that you are probably confused, I'll let you chew on that

Old 12-19-2012, 03:16 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,716,268 times
If you want to be in the city core, this is probably the best stretch to live along especially when in your 20s - between this stretch or west of it towards State Line. There are a lot of other doable areas but suggest focusing on this area first if you want to be near city activity. KC North of river if you want suburbs. You might also like Waldo on S edge of this map.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:16 PM

Yeah I'm confused now hahaha I have never been there at all. I guess more or less geographically I need to know where to look example, North Kansas City, Blue Hills, Winnwood etc. (Google Maps) haha I saw an apartment at this address:

350 E. Armour Boulevard Kansas City, MO 64111

looks nice

Old 12-19-2012, 06:29 PM

Is closer to downtown safer than some of the suburbs around it?

Old 12-19-2012, 06:35 PM

496 posts, read 538,206 times
kcmo gave a pretty good list of where to look:

Quote:
Generally, the desirable areas are the Plaza, South Plaza, Westport, West Plaza, W 39th, UMKC, parts of Midtown, Union Hill, Crossroads, Downtown and River Market with smaller areas inside these areas like Valentine etc. Basically between the river 75th and state line to that fuzzy eastern edge.
The apartment at the address you gave is in a fine location (Midtown)

Old 12-19-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubled8206 View Post
Is closer to downtown safer than some of the suburbs around it?
Yes and no. It really depends what suburb and what parts close to downtown you are referring to.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:58 PM

I was looking at the Library District, Power and Light District, that area. Looks like a cool, younger crowd place.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:05 PM

Yes, those areas are all perfectly safe and good for night life/younger crowd.

Areas around Westport and Plaza are also have night life and younger crowd. Are you going to be able to come to KC and scout it out before taking the job and finding an apartment? If so, I would recommend checking out a range of areas from the Plaza on the south up through Downtown and the River Market to the North. (or you could even go as far as south as Waldo)

Old 12-19-2012, 07:26 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,716,268 times
^That's a newly renovated art deco building in a neighborhood that used to have a lot of problems but is moving forward. I wouldn't call it safer than suburbs or most any part of city core. Better than E Side though, a few more problems in area compared to downtown or W side of midtown. I could live there. Single girls from the burbs are moving in there. But don't expect low crime compared to most burbs.

Look at the map I posted above and compare to Google map of same area to give you some context to where it is relative to whole city/metro.

From the crime stats I"ve looked at, here's my take on relative crime, first being lowest...
Exurbia
Gated community
Typical lowest crime suburban areas in US

Ward Parkway
S Plaza
W side of midtown (Volker/Roanoke/Coleman hoods)
W Plaza
Average suburbs like KC North
Brookside
Waldo

Union Hill/Longfellow
Downtown (River Market, CBD, Crossroads, Crown Center hoods)
Semi-problem areas of typical suburbs with property crime
Central Midtown/Westport - if someone wants 'very safe' area, this is edgy but still reasonably 'city safe'

Armor to 39th in midtown
Hyde Park - These two areas are fine depending on where you come from. I have friends in both areas and visit weekly. There is crime but still doable - they are not wanting to get out.

SE side of city
NE side of city
Central E side of city (a couple miles east of Crown Center to Plaza)

Some might switch order a bit but from what I've seen in stats, this is generally what I've seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City