U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 11:58 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,146,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Wyandotte County, Part 14

Armourdale was on the NORTH side of the Kansas River
In fact, it still is. I'm pretty sure that's what she was referring to, regardless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 12:09 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,110,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Just realized this. I grew up saying "Highway X" but I've lived in KC for more than a decade and I always say "71 Highway"...

I also say Wor-NELL and most people I know do.

KC Italians and old-school northeast/downtowners call bums "Gandies".

"Kansas" almost always just means Johnson County. Almost never means KCK or real Kansas when it's said here.

Outstate Kansans, as well as Missourians, also call KC "the City"

As noted Johnson Countians often call the entire urban core "Downtown".

"Northtown" mean NKC. "The Northland" means everything else north of the river.

Most younger people definitely say "Missouree" here.

The space between the sidewalk and street is usually called the "easement" or "strip between the sidewalk and street".

"Pop".

A "shirtwaist" is a house with a stone or brick first floor and a wood frame second.

A "colonade" is a (usually) six-plex apartment building with three floors and 2 flats per floor with stacked balconies up the front and a shared center stairwell.
Good stuff.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:19 PM

12,607 posts, read 14,613,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
That's why I said "rural" MO. My wife if from about an hour east of KC and just about everything out there calls anything east of Grain Valley "the city". The was also true in Warrensburg when I went to college, although not as high a percent because many people there are from St Louis etc.

In the metro area, have heard people in the suburbs say the city when they are talking about Downtown, Crown Center, Plaza etc, but that is not all that common.
It's also true of outlying areas on the Kansas side - Franklin and Miami County, etc. They are going to "the city" whether they are going to Olathe or Overland Park or KCMO.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
In fact, it still is. I'm pretty sure that's what she was referring to, regardless.
The area down there with all the railroad tracks, right off of I-35, whatever that is.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:22 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,110,519 times
My cousin who lives well outside STL also calls anywhere STL metro 'the city'. Is the case with many cities. The further out you go, the more general the area they refer to.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:59 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,146,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
The area down there with all the railroad tracks, right off of I-35, whatever that is.
I stand corrected, I don't think you can see Armourdale from 35. 35 runs through Rosedale, and while there are some RR tracks along the Turkey Creek valley, it doesn't seem like alot. Most of the RR tracks you can see from 35 are, in fact, in the south end of the Bottoms in KCMO.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
I stand corrected, I don't think you can see Armourdale from 35. 35 runs through Rosedale, and while there are some RR tracks along the Turkey Creek valley, it doesn't seem like alot. Most of the RR tracks you can see from 35 are, in fact, in the south end of the Bottoms in KCMO.
Ahhhh, okay. Thanks!

Old 12-20-2012, 01:13 PM

220 posts, read 359,474 times
The West Bottoms area is also referred to as The Stockyards by older generations, not so much by the younger crowd since they closed down in the early 90's. It's the area where Kemper Arena is located, industrial district west of the city next to the river.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:19 PM

3,572 posts, read 6,198,795 times
Quote:

Brush Creek has been called "flush creek"

Juco means Johnson County Community College, at least if you're in Kansas.
It's funny to think Brush Creek and the Plaza are Johnson County's gutter.

I think "JuCo" is commonly used everywhere. People in KCK, especially old timers, refer to KCKCC as JuCo. It stems from a time when community colleges were widely referred to as "junior colleges".

Quote:
Southwest Boulevard, Turkey Creek, and I-35 run through Rosedale, KS, a town that was annexed and absorbed by KCK. On any map, you can still see the towns original street grid, where its downtown still exists, at what is now roughly I-35 and SW BLVD. I believe part of the town was destroyed for I-35's construction. I suppose the area is the Turkey Creek "bottoms", but I've never heard of it referred to as such:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=rosed...e,+Kansas&z=15

Rosedale's City Hall building still stands and says "City Hall" on the front. It's just on the north side of SW BLVD just east of Mission Rd:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=1166+...sas+66103&z=16

Argentine and Armourdale are other towns that were similarly annexed and absorbed but still exist.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
It's funny to think Brush Creek and the Plaza are Johnson County's gutter.

I think "JuCo" is commonly used everywhere. People in KCK, especially old timers, refer to KCKCC as JuCo. It stems from a time when community colleges were widely referred to as "junior colleges".

Southwest Boulevard, Turkey Creek, and I-35 run through Rosedale, KS, a town that was annexed and absorbed by KCK. On any map, you can still see the towns original street grid, where its downtown still exists, at what is now roughly I-35 and SW BLVD. I believe part of the town was destroyed for I-35's construction. I suppose the area is the Turkey Creek "bottoms", but I've never heard of it referred to as such:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=rosed...e,+Kansas&z=15

Rosedale's City Hall building still stands and says "City Hall" on the front. It's just on the north side of SW BLVD just east of Mission Rd:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=1166+...sas+66103&z=16

Argentine and Armourdale are other towns that were similarly annexed and absorbed but still exist.
Well, I wasn't referring to Brush Creek being Johnson County's gutter at all. The reference to flush creek came about when they fixed out Brush Creek through the Plaza to make it loose nice, and then there was some report that there was sewage in Brush Creek - not sure what the source was. If it was flowing from Johnson County I sure didn't know that part. I'm sure they fixed it by now.

Yes, I know that Juco means junior college. But in the Kansas City area when I have heard it, it has pretty meant Johnson County Community College. As I said, that may just be a "Kansas" (Johnson County?) thing, but when I worked in Missouri people would talk about "juco" meaning JCCC. And I have also lived in Wyandotte County and in KCMO. I don't know what KCKCC is called, but Longview is usually Longview and Penn Valley is usually referred to as Penn Valley. Maybe it's just because I live in Johnson County, but I have worked at both KU Med and at Saint Luke's with people from both both sides of the state line and various counties and in my experience Juco means JCCC, Penn Valley means Penn Valley (and they usually specify names of other Metropolitan Community Colleges), Longview for Longview, etc.

It definitely wasn't Rosedale that she called that area. I know Rosedale. It was bottoms or some other name they used to call that area. It was an industrial kind of area. I'll think of it eventually.

Last edited by luzianne; 12-20-2012 at 02:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City