Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 02:26 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,977,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Well, I wasn't referring to Brush Creek being Johnson County's gutter at all. The reference to flush creek came about when they fixed out Brush Creek through the Plaza to make it loose nice, and then there was some report that there was sewage in Brush Creek - not sure what the source was. If it was flowing from Johnson County I sure didn't know that part. I'm sure they fixed it by now.

Yes, I know that Juco means junior college. But in the Kansas City area when I have heard it, it has pretty meant Johnson County Community College. As I said, that may just be a "Kansas" (Johnson County?) thing, but when I worked in Missouri people would talk about "juco" meaning JCCC. And I have also lived in Wyandotte County and in KCMO. I don't know what KCKCC is called, but Longview is usually Longview and Penn Valley is usually referred to as Penn Valley. Maybe it's just because I live in Johnson County, but I have worked at both KU Med and at Saint Luke's with people from both both sides of the state line and various counties and in my experience Juco means JCCC, Penn Valley means Penn Valley (and they usually specify names of other Metropolitan Community Colleges), Longview for Longview, etc.

It definitely wasn't Rosedale that she called that area. It was bottoms or some other name that is on the tip of my tongue.
Yeah, it was me who was referring to Brush Creek as JoCo's gutter because it literally is.

Your JoCo bias leads you to believe it means JCCC more than any other place. Plus, JCCC is huge. But like I said, within the KCK community, KCKCC is called JuCo - even on bus schedules within my lifetime. But I'm still thinking calling the local CC "JuCo" goes well beyond JoCo and KCK though, especially in the past.

Well, if not Rosedale where I-35, SW BLVD, and Turkey Creek run diagnal, north of there, over huge bluffs and across the Kansas River is Armourdale, which is a former town, and is Kansas River bottom land, but I've never heard it called anything with the word "bottoms" in it.

Further north-northeast and closer to downtown from Armourdale is the West Bottoms, which is where Kemper Arena is, a fair amount of historic building stock (where the haunted houses and 12th St Viaduct are), and where the stockyards once were. The West Bottoms is on the other side of the Kansas River from Armourdale.

SW BLVD, on the Missouri side, is in an area often referred to as the "Westside".

Speaking of Armourdale - it's name comes from the same family name of the meatpacking company that neighborhoods like Armour Fields and Armour Hills in Brookside do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 08:47 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
But I'm still thinking calling the local CC "JuCo" goes well beyond JoCo and KCK though, especially in the past.
I'm aware of that. I didn't think it was something only said here. Maybe because JCCC IS so huge it is considered "the" juco in the area? I don't know and really don't care either.

I am kicking myself for not remembering what my relative called that area off of I-35. It's wasn't a "neighborhood" name like Rosedale or Armourdale, I don't think. It was something like the bottoms. At the time she said it I made a mental note because I hadn't heard that said for a long time, and I told myself to remember and now I have forgotten again. It's not the neighborhoods around, it's just the area with the train tracks down there. Maybe it's something that they used to use the area for that they don't anymore; I'm not sure.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:35 PM

220 posts, read 453,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I'm aware of that. I didn't think it was something only said here. Maybe because JCCC IS so huge it is considered "the" juco in the area? I don't know and really don't care either.

I am kicking myself for not remembering what my relative called that area off of I-35. It's wasn't a "neighborhood" name like Rosedale or Armourdale, I don't think. It was something like the bottoms. At the time she said it I made a mental note because I hadn't heard that said for a long time, and I told myself to remember and now I have forgotten again. It's not the neighborhoods around, it's just the area with the train tracks down there. Maybe it's something that they used to use the area for that they don't anymore; I'm not sure.
the stockyards?

Old 12-21-2012, 12:44 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,464,049 times
The 40 Highway, 50 Highway thing really stuck out for me when I first moved here and didn't get it.

Some other item variations I have noticed:

Sack
instead of Bag at a store
Seems like they say Wreck here more, I would say Accident, Wreck sounds so Southern/NASCAR
Draw at a bar instead of Tap when it comes to beer "Would you like Miller lite bottle or draw" I was always use to it being would you like Miller Lite Bottle or Tap"

Old 12-21-2012, 02:56 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
The above aren't specific to KC, though...they're just regional dialect variants that apply to a lot of different geographic areas.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:42 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,805,985 times
My theory is that metros that have metro wide street numbers (beyond city center) state the number before highway. It might be because they are used to saying street numbers. So if you say 'driving down 71st', you mean street. If you say 'driving down 71' it means highway. Going down '69' is highway, '69th' is street. So it's implied w/out highway. You might 'add' highway but may not so would't come first.

Just a theory and frankly it's more efficient speak if a local. So it's more odd to state highway first. KC is more highly evolved.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:52 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,464,049 times
Ramblin Man Lyrics

My father was a gambler down in Georgia
He wound up on the wrong end of a gun
And I was born in the back seat of a Greyhound bus
Rollin' down highway forty-one

It would just sound so weird if it said Rollin down 41 Highway

Old 12-21-2012, 03:59 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,805,985 times
^unevolved.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:53 PM

196 posts, read 395,176 times
I live in the northland; here's what I hear people say:

KCMO = "out south", "downtown"

Johnson County = "kansas side"

Old 12-23-2012, 10:28 AM

6,816 posts, read 11,540,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidWestCityNative View Post
I live in the northland; here's what I hear people say:

KCMO = "out south", "downtown"

Johnson County = "kansas side"
Agree ^^^ My 85 year old MIL, a 60-year resident of KC North, refers to anything south of the river as "over in town," i.e., "I had to go to that doctor over in town."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City