Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 11:03 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times

Advertisements

Blue Valley is southern Johnson County. "Shawnee Mission" is older/northern Johnson County area.

Bannister and 95th Street are the same thing
Gregory and 71st Street are the same thing

Brush Creek has been called "flush creek"

Juco means Johnson County Community College, at least if you're in Kansas.

Last edited by luzianne; 12-20-2012 at 11:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 11:09 AM

6,816 posts, read 11,540,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
About the bottoms and west bottoms - maybe someone else can explain exactly where they are. I know when I am there but I couldn't tell you which is which (one down by the haunted houses in KCMO and the other down the hill north of KU Med Center in KCK?)
This is my take on that, others may differ:

If someone is talking about "the bottoms" I consider that synonymous with the "west bottoms" which is diown in the Kemper Arena/haunted house areas. Definitely not the area north of KU Med Center - I'd refer to that as Rosedale.

There are also the "east bottoms" running along Front Street from about I-35 to I-435.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
This is my take on that, others may differ:

If someone is talking about "the bottoms" I consider that synonymous with the "west bottoms" which is diown in the Kemper Arena/haunted house areas. Definitely not the area north of KU Med Center - I'd refer to that as Rosedale.

There are also the "east bottoms" running along Front Street from about I-35 to I-435.
Okay. I had a relative who was born in 1919 who lived in Kansas City a lot of her young adult life. She called that area north of KU Med something. I was thinking the bottoms. Maybe the stockyards but that's not the stockyards, either. It's where all those train tracks are down there between the highway and the Mexican restaurants. It may be something else she called it, but I can't think of it now. Wish I could ask her, but she died in 2011. She had a sharp mind right up till the day she died! She said she bought a house at 18th and Kensington or something like that, and the houses were new then. She also bought a house in a brand new subdivision over by the VA Medical Center. She said only very rich people lived in Hyde Park.

She used to tell the story about how she was a young single working woman in Kansas City. She had grown up in a small town (Windsor Missouri) and was very naive, had no idea there were men who liked men or women who liked women or men who dressed like women. She said her friends took her to the Jewel Box. She said she was shocked; had never seen the things she saw there! But knowing her, I know she laughed and took it in stride; she was still that way when she died. Always seemed like a 30-something person in the body of an older person.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:32 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,164,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Okay. I had a relative who was born in 1919 who lived in Kansas City a lot of her young adult life. She called that area north of KU Med something. I was thinking the bottoms. Maybe the stockyards but that's not the stockyards, either. It's where all those train tracks are down there between the highway and the Mexican restaurants.
Armourdale?

Old 12-20-2012, 11:36 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,164,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
71 Highway, 350 Highway etc. The only place I know that puts the highway after the name.
Just realized this. I grew up saying "Highway X" but I've lived in KC for more than a decade and I always say "71 Highway"...

I also say Wor-NELL and most people I know do.

KC Italians and old-school northeast/downtowners call bums "Gandies".

"Kansas" almost always just means Johnson County. Almost never means KCK or real Kansas when it's said here.

Outstate Kansans, as well as Missourians, also call KC "the City"

As noted Johnson Countians often call the entire urban core "Downtown".

"Northtown" mean NKC. "The Northland" means everything else north of the river.

Most younger people definitely say "Missouree" here.

The space between the sidewalk and street is usually called the "right-of-way" or "easement" or "strip between the sidewalk and street".

"Pop".

A "shirtwaist" is a house with a stone or brick first floor and a wood frame second.

A "colonade" is a (usually) six-plex apartment building with three floors and 2 flats per floor with stacked balconies up the front and a shared center stairwell.

Last edited by SPonteKC; 12-20-2012 at 12:55 PM..

Old 12-20-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Armourdale?
That may have been it.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:39 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,883,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
I've never heard anyone say that that lives in the metro area.
That's why I said "rural" MO. My wife is from about an hour east of KC and just about everybody out there calls anything west of Grain Valley "the city". This was also true in Warrensburg when I went to college, although not as high a percent because many people there are from St Louis etc.

In the metro area, I have heard people in the suburbs say "the city" when they are talking about Downtown, Crown Center, Plaza etc, but that is not all that common.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:43 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,883,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
"Kansas" almost always just means Johnson County. Almost never means KCK or real Kansas when it's said here.
That's very true. People in the MO suburbs call JoCo "Kansas" more often than they call it JoCo.

"We are going to Kansas to get some stuff at MicroCenter". Nobody talks about Kansas outside of JoCo or maybe Village West unless referring to the university.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:53 AM

6,816 posts, read 11,540,499 times
Wyandotte County, Part 14

Armourdale was on the NORTH side of the Kansas River, one mile west of its confluence with the Missouri River.

If you're interested in Kansas history, this is a wonderful site to spend a snowy afternoon looking at.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:56 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,805,985 times
I hear people refer to 'JoCo' much more often than not in midtown - ditto with most people at work (downtown) who live on MO side. I rarely hear just KS when referring to JoCo, it's almost always JoCo. And most say KCK, not just KS. I think the further out you go from any named place, the more generalization you hear. As the case with many cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City