U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2012, 12:54 PM

196 posts, read 291,690 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure.

But I recently stumbled on Google a book published in 2007 called "Ass Backwards: A Black Police Officer's Hatred for Inner City Criminals and their Enablers", an autobiographical book written by Kansas City native and former KCK policeman Bobby Acklin II (under the pen name "Kodiack").

I wouldn't question this guy's credentials, he is a graduate of Norfolk State University and has served in the US Military before becoming a KCK police officer. This man has reportedly saved a lot of lives in the line of duty. All I can say is....WOW, this guy is pretty damn harsh. The book itself is suppose to be a mixture of dark humor and provocative commentary. Here are just a few things that sort of caught me off guard:
  • In the acknowledgement section, he mentioned that 80 percent of KC police commanders were "Pretentious, unprofessional, unethical, unreasonable, simple-minded, close-minded, lazy, contradicting, spineless, and ASS-BACKWARDS!"
  • He mentioned that Kansas City was a city that "Doesn't openly embrace black culture" and that black people in KC walk around with "kidnapped souls" and are "perpetuating negative stereotypes".
  • Quote: "I resent Kansas City for shamelessly misrepresenting the world to me for 35 years years of my life", then he talks about how much better of a place Philadelphia is for him and his family because it has a more organized and professional police force and there are plenty of professional, college-educated blacks which he feels do not exist in KC.
It makes me wonder if there is really something wrong with most law enforcement practices here in Kansas City (not just KCK), compared to other American cities. Apparently, this guy working on the force for 9 years (who fled KC in favor of Philadelphia) seems to think so.

Aside from him and aside from racial issues, I've heard visitors (driving into KC) complain about local officers stopping them and checking their cars/trucks for illegal substances whenever the city has drug trafficking. One blogger on this site said the KC police were "acting paranoid" in the process.

Last edited by MidWestCityNative; 12-23-2012 at 01:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2012, 01:16 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,110,519 times
Is there some specific concern you personally have or are you just wanting to stir up a race or similar thing? Sounds like flamebait. Am in New Orleans at the moment and heard a discussion at table next to us about them getting a DWB (driving while black) in NOLA. I don't think I'll go start a thread about it in NOLA thread, is just pointless flamebait.

I think you'll find someone complain about KCPD as you could in any city.

Old 12-23-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
Is there some specific concern you personally have or are you just wanting to stir up a race or similar thing? Sounds like flamebait.
No, I'm not stirring up ANY kind of race/competition and I'm certainly not trying to create flamebait. I'm just looking for someone to deconstruct this guy's quotes. Is he right, or is he full of BS?

I like hearing the views and opinions of others on this site in regards to KC issues. It helps gives me perspective. What's wrong with that?

Old 12-23-2012, 01:34 PM

I should also add that I've never heard anyone criticize the KCPD like this before, let alone a fellow officer.

Old 12-23-2012, 10:33 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,498,983 times
I know a lot of KCPD cops, used to do ride alongs with them all the time in high school and college. That was a while ago, but back then, the PD was pretty well respected. They had the typical inner city racial friction you get in any inner city of a large urban area, but nothing crazy. KCMO PD is a big city PD and cops there deal with a lot of crap and don’t get a lot of respect from the people they serve and protect. I don’t know if you have ever done a ride along, but if you can still do them, I would highly recommend it.

As far a KCK. Now they might be a different story. KCK itself is such an oddball place that it honestly wouldn’t surprise me much if they had more issues. That city has always been a bizarre place to me. Industrial/southern/very poor. Sort of urban redneckish. I can’t even describe KCK. I do know that the cops in KCK were far more aggressive than KCMO. We would have a car chase into KCK and when they picked up the chase, KCK cars would just shoot at them or ram them off the road. They wouldn’t chase them around the city for an hour. I don’t know if that’s still the case today, but KCK and KCMO were very different cultures back then.

Now KCPD has all these new police stations and brand new helicopters etc. Probably one of the best funded large departments in the country today and at least KCMO doesn't have the ugly black and white cruisers that KCK has now.

I think some of the suburban departments have FAR more issues than KCMO or KCK though. Leawood etc. Probably shouldn't go there though.

Old 12-25-2012, 07:23 PM

16 posts, read 24,072 times
I think they mostly have a good reputation. They have misstepped on some issues such as when a pregnant women needed medical attention and was denied. There have been a few incidents but overall they have a tough city to patrol. KCMO is not an easy town for the police because crime is rampant and gangs are everywhere. Murders and other crimes are on the rise. I think they do the best that they can, but you are always going to have good cops and bad cops out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City