U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2012, 04:38 PM

667 posts, read 879,569 times

Advertisements

I have Road Runner for my ISP. I read they are going to begin charging $3.95 a month for modem rental. I chatted with a Time Warner agent today and he confirmed it.
For the year 2012 I have been paying $53.95 for internet alone.

I live in KCK and would like to know of an alternative, if there is any and the service you receive.
With the cost of food, etc going up I'd like to lower my internet bill if possible.
I wonder, is the internet classified as a utility now like electricity and gas? LOL

I read where Google Fiber for the lowest price will be $300 with the next 7 years free. Of course no one knows how it runs yet as it's not scheduled to be completed until the summer of 2013.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited by Dawter; 12-24-2012 at 05:33 PM.. Reason: added text
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2012, 04:48 PM

3,625 posts, read 6,756,846 times
Where did you see/hear that about the modem charge? I ask because I recently participated in a survey where that $3.95 month modem charge was mentioned, but I understood it was simply a proposal at this point. Perhaps it's farther along than I thought.

Old 12-25-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Where did you see/hear that about the modem charge? I ask because I recently participated in a survey where that $3.95 month modem charge was mentioned, but I understood it was simply a proposal at this point. Perhaps it's farther along than I thought.
Like I said, I talked to a TW rep

Just Google "Time Warner $3.95.

Time Warner launches $3.95 modem charge - Times Union

Time Warner Cable implements $3.95 monthly cable modem fee | PCWorld

Some people are filing suits against TW-
Time Warner $3.95 | Stop the Cap!

Old 12-27-2012, 04:32 PM

12,607 posts, read 14,605,815 times
I'm just biding my time until Google Fiber is available where I live. I have been with Time Warner and its predecessor since 1986 (Telecable), but the prices keep going up and my husband is always complaining about it messing up and not getting channels (he uses the cable card from Time Warner with Tivo DVR) sometimes. Once Google Fiber is available, we will switch.

My husband keeps wanting to switch NOW to AT&T U-Verse or something besides Time Warner. I'm not convinced anything else would be better. I have friends with Comcast who complain more about it than people do about Tim Warner. I think the only thing that's going to be perceptibly better than the rest is Google Fiber. I may be wrong.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:19 AM

5,758 posts, read 9,485,099 times
I have AT&T U-Verse which is better than TW by a mile.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:36 PM

3,625 posts, read 6,756,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I'm just biding my time until Google Fiber is available where I live. I have been with Time Warner and its predecessor since 1986 (Telecable), but the prices keep going up and my husband is always complaining about it messing up and not getting channels (he uses the cable card from Time Warner with Tivo DVR) sometimes. Once Google Fiber is available, we will switch.

My husband keeps wanting to switch NOW to AT&T U-Verse or something besides Time Warner. I'm not convinced anything else would be better. I have friends with Comcast who complain more about it than people do about Tim Warner. I think the only thing that's going to be perceptibly better than the rest is Google Fiber. I may be wrong.
In the meantime, call T-W and tell them you're thinking of dropping them for U-Verse (even if you're not serious at this time). I got about a $20 reduction from them on my $145.00/month total bill (cable and internet).

Old 12-29-2012, 09:42 AM

5,793 posts, read 10,623,072 times
I would drop Time Warner in a second if we had an alternative. FiOS is available across the street, but so far there are no plans being made to

The icing on the cake was talking to a customer service reps in the Philippines, blaming constant disconnects because we are a Mac household.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
I have AT&T U-Verse which is better than TW by a mile.
How do you mean "better?" In price, service or what?
All I use from TW is the internet. But paying over $50 a month just for internet is what I'd like to save on. I don't even know what all AT&T U-verse is. I see the commercials but figure its not for me as I just have a laptop and need to get on the internet for work and also surfing the usual stuff.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post

I went to the Google Fiber website and its supposed to be here in the summer of 2013. I read that its $300 for the first year and free for the next 7 years. Sounds like a good deal...LOL I'm not quite sure I read that right.

Old 12-29-2012, 01:00 PM

12,607 posts, read 14,605,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawter View Post
I went to the Google Fiber website and its supposed to be here in the summer of 2013. I read that its $300 for the first year and free for the next 7 years. Sounds like a good deal...LOL I'm not quite sure I read that right.
Sounds good to me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or