U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 09:43 AM

58 posts, read 191,590 times

Advertisements

I have fought for the disabled children of Lee's Summit for the last six years. I am sad to report that nothing has changed and that the district continues to dismiss this group of students and continues to destroy their chance at a successful future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 09:44 AM

The Fight Continues

Parents protest R-7 official’s autism presentation

By Brett Dalton, The Journal Staff

A series of meetings that may have eased the tension between the R-7 School District and the Lee’s Summit Autism Support Group have been put on hold after members of the LSASG protested a conference at which an R-7 official was speaking.

After Sherri Tucker, co-founder of the LSASG, was unsuccessful in her bid for a seat on the R-7 Board of Education earlier this year, R-7 Superintendent David McGehee reached out to Tucker in hopes the two groups could find at least some common ground.

Tucker and other LSASG members have been consistently outspoken about what they feel is a lack of proper services and programs within the school district for children with special needs. In fact, Tucker admitted freely that she ran in the April election solely on the issue of benefiting students with special needs. And she pulled no punches when criticizing the school district.

While McGehee said there are some issues on which the two sides will always “agree to disagree,” he had hoped that meeting with Tucker on a somewhat consistent basis would help each side understand the other and perhaps common ground could be met — and it worked for a while.

“We had met a couple of times and there were even a couple things that came out of those meetings and we’re now looking into how to get better at those things,” McGehee said. “So I think they were productive — to a point.”

However, on Aug. 4, LSASG members, Tucker included, protested the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education’s Cooperative Conference for School Administrators, which took place at Tan-Tar-A, a family resort in Osage Beach.

Tucker said they protested because Jerry Keimig, R-7’s director of special services, was chosen to speak at the conference based on the school district’s “outstanding programs for students with autism.” Tucker said she was appalled not only to hear that Keimig was chosen to speak but also because of the reason he was chosen. She even accused the school district of lying about why Keimig was chosen.

“They said it was because of their outstanding programs,” Tucker said. “That’s not why they got picked.”

To back up her claim, Tucker points to a recent article in The Pitch detailing the ongoing struggle between the R-7 School District and members of the LSASG. According to the article, which published July 10, Heidi Atkins Lieberman, assistant commissioner of special education for DESE, said she chose Keimig to speak after talking to “people who were very knowledgeable about autism education, and they all said Jerry would be great.”

“So basically Heidi Lieberman asked a few friends about who should speak at the conference,” Tucker said.

Lieberman told the Journal on Thursday that she chose Keimig based on several recommendations from reliable sources.

“Based on recommendations we received from numerous sources, I selected the Kirkwood School District (St. Louis County) and the Lee’s Summit School District to outline their programs,” she said. “Both districts have well-established programs, and they have in-district autism consultants who were trained by Project Access.” Last Monday’s protest was peaceful and consisted of parents, including Deb Shaumeyer and Joyce Lindsey, sitting in lawn chairs for six hours in front of a large sign that read, “Lee’s Summit R-7 & Mo. Dept. of Education Are leaving our Autistic Children Behind.”

Tucker said the protest was perfectly legal and the parents did receive permission from Osage Beach’s chief of police.

But while the protesters were greeted somewhat positively by cars passing by, R-7 officials weren’t amused.

McGehee said he decided to “take a break” from his meetings with Tucker following the protest because he thought the protest proved their meetings to be unproductive. He said he didn’t expect the meetings to end Tucker’s criticism of the school district, but he was hopeful that by gaining a better of understanding of each other, the public attacks would no longer be necessary.

McGehee said the two sides may revisit their discussions in the future, but added that at this time, he doesn’t want to take time to hold meetings that aren’t accomplishing their objective.

“My time is limited, all of our time is limited,” he said. “This is just one of many, many issues we deal with. And it is a very important issue and one I’m continuing to try to learn more about and gain a better understanding of. But at this moment, it’s time to take a break because they didn’t seem to be very productive.”

Tucker said she appreciated the chance to meet with McGehee, but never intended to “remain silent” as a result of their discussions.

“My voice is the only tool I have to help advocate for the children that are affected by autism,” Tucker wrote in a reply to the school district’s letter informing her that the upcoming meetings have been cancelled. “I truly hoped we could work together. I am and have always been willing to give it a try. However, I can not be made to be quiet in the hopes that the situation will work out in favor of our children. It’s a gamble that is too risky and too many lives are at stake.”

bdalton@lsjournal.com

Old 12-29-2012, 09:46 AM

As everyone knows, I ran for school board. Now they are trying to force me into an early IEP meeting. Our superintendent has emailed me and stated that he would like to open the communication between him and me. All of the sudden it's imperative that I schedule an IEP meeting. I did and now they insist on changed the date. Below is my correspondence with them:

We already discussed this and the IEP is in effect until August, 2008. We agreed upon a date of April 30th. I'm sorry if Stacey is unable to make it on that date, but it is not convenient for me to reschedule it at this time. I already discussed this with Mr. M.

I have already rearranged my schedule to accommodate the 30th and I do not wish to rearrange it again.

Per my conversation with Mr. M, Jake has never received any services related to his educational autism and it is not necessary to have Stacey at that meeting. I don't feel that she will have anything new to offer and it is not a necessity that warrants my rearranging my life again. The district has never tried to offer Jake services for his autism. His only goal in 7th grade was to be able to write a paragraph. He still hasn't mastered that. His autism has not been addressed.

I did tell Mr. M that I am concerned about Jake failing English and American History. He stated that Jake is doing extra work in English in order to meet his goals on his IEP. I wasn't aware that Jake was having to do more work than the rest of the students in order to meet his IEP goals. Jake had no idea why he was being forced to do more work than his fellow students.

I also told Mr. M that I have never seen any data for Jake the entire time that he has been in the Lee' s Summit School District. Therefore I am not sure if he has ever progressed on his goals or not. I am not speaking of observations. Those are opinions. I am talking about cold hard data.

Last, Jake has a written language deficit. The district is not aware of it because they have never evaluated him for it. When I insisted that Jake be reevaluated in 7th grade I signed forms that had specific tests on them. Federal law states that our children should be evaluated every three years. Jake was evaluated in 98 and 06. He was given a very small and inadequate evaluation in 01. Those were changed. Jake was supposed to receive an OWLS test and instead he was given a CASL test. Those evaluate two different things.

When I took Jake to his psychologist he gave him many tests that the district had failed to give him. He found that Jake scored in the high average range which has to be 110 or higher and in the 86th percentile. His writing fluency tested out much lower in the 10th percentile with a standard score equivalent of 80. The district has never addressed this, but I did put it in my parents concerns in the IEP.

Jake has never been given a qualified assessment for OT. Only her observations, which once again are an opinion and in no way can be used to determine services. Below I have offered the information from the psychologist and these have been provided to the district.

If the 30th is unacceptable, then we will meet in August when we are supposed to meet anyway. I see no reason to keep changing my schedule to accommodate the district when it is not even that imperative. I see no reason to rearrange my schedule to have an autism consultant at the meeting when he doesn't receive any services or modifications due to his autism. His BIP was taken away because the district felt that it wasn't warranted. His Vineland Behavior Scales show that he has the interpersonal skills of a three year. After the district got those scores they said nothing about this and did not address it. He is in a regular classroom and expected to perform as a regular student. What is the purpose of postponing this meeting?

Old 12-29-2012, 09:49 AM

LS Tribune Saturday, April 12, 2008
A Race to Remember
Matt Bird-Meyer
Tribune Editor

Voters had an option Tuesday of four board candidates for three
seats. Maybe the outcome was indicative of lazy voting habits, where
the candidates at the top of the ballot get the most votes. Check,
check, check and move on. But maybe the outcome was indicative of
growing displeasure with the entrenched members of the board.
Whatever happened, newcomer Sherri Tucker came close. She was just 2
percent shy of overcoming incumbent Jon Plaas, who won 5,065 to 4,679.

Plaas had a slim 386-vote separation from Tucker. However the top
vote getter, Jeff Tindle, had 2,246 more votes than Tucker, and Jack
Wiley had 1,878 more votes than the newcomer. Tindle was listed
first on the ballot, followed by Wiley, Plaas and then Tucker. The
top two candidates were so far ahead of the bottom two that it
appears voters were gravitating toward Tucker. I like to think the
people who make time to visit the polls are going in there knowing
how they will vote, or at least with some knowledge of the
candidates. Personally, I would never vote for someone I know
nothing about. Sherri Tucker never hid the fact that her only
platform was special education. She is the mother of a special-needs
son and is part of a group of 40 people who feel the R-7 district is
not providing adequate services for their special-needs children.

Tucker didn't go about this alone. Members of the Lee's Summit Autism
Support Group picked Tucker to run against the three incumbents.
This was her first time running for office, and she's pledged it's
not her last. Plaas and the others circled the wagons during the
campaign, supporting one another and alienating Tucker as a single-
issue candidate. Plaas said single-issue candidates belong on the
other side of the podium from school board members.

And to an extent, he's right, Candidates should be savvy enough to
know that and campaign accordingly. That doesn't mean the candidate
should never hold a single issue close to their heart. To me, that's
how the system works. If you think government isn't working, then run
for office or at least get involved. And when voters respond like
they did here, we should all take them seriously. I can't say whether
there's a problem with special education services in the R-7
district, but there's a growing movement of families out there who
are saying that. "I don't feel like we lost," Tucker told me during
a telephone interview. "We got our message out there and to me
that's a win."

I agree, and to run up right against sitting school board members in
Lee's Summit is admirable. The incumbents here are typically strong
candidates with almost instant support from community leaders. The
topic of special education is an emotional and complex one. These
students have different needs and different individualized education
programs. Some students have to find some services outside of the
district and some are able to stay in regular classrooms. The bottom
line is they are students, and they deserve as much attention as
anyone else.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:57 AM

How Do They Sleep At Night
Sometimes I sit and relive the past four years. I think of all of the tears, anger, frustration, fear, anxiety, and hurt that my family has gone through. Then I think of all of the other families that are going through the same thing. Their lives being destroyed while they sit back and helplessly watch it happen.

One thing always comes to mind. How do the people that are paid with my tax dollars sleep at night? How can they destroy the life and future of another human being and then take their paycheck? How can they hug their children while they are destroying the lives of other children?

I was raised in the 60s and the 70s. My parents were strict and taught us to be honest, caring, and loving human beings. We were taught that you never progress in life without hard work, integrity, honor, and respect. You never hurt others or lie.

I wonder what the parents our of teachers, principals, superintendents, legislators, and school board officials taught their children. Would they be disgusted by the things that their children do to innocent children? Would they be dismayed that their children care about nothing more than self promotion and the almighty dollar? Would they be proud that their children are successful because they are robbing children of their future? My parents would disown me. They would not tolerate the behavior that I see every day.

I have been to many school meetings and sat across the table as these people have lied, cheated, and stolen my child's future. I am powerless to stop them. They have all of the power and my hard earned tax dollars have bought it for them.

How many lives are going to be destroyed before this is stopped? How many people are willing to stand up for their children no matter what the consequences are? I am. I have been for four years. Its a lonely journey and I invite you to join me.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:59 AM

42 percent of R-7 graduates that attend local community colleges must take remedial mathematics and English
It's news to me

Political sound bites

John Beaudoin, Journal Publisher

John Beaudoin is publisher of the Lee's Summit Journal.

Tuesday night’s R-7 school board forum had a lot of reoccurring themes.

The levy failed so let’s get over it. That was a big one.

Another centered on current board member and candidate Jon Plaas being right.

I lost track of how many times fellow board member Jack Wiley and hopefuls Chris Storms and Mike Smith commented about Plaas making a great point, agreeing with one of his statements or just flat out “being right.”

Perhaps they were just being polite. But if they really think that, maybe Jon will be one of the three candidates they vote for on April 5.

No one can argue that Plaas had a steady performance at the forum, reiterating his stance that the levy going to the voters wasn’t wrong, it was the amount and the fact that so much of it was going to “bail out” the teacher’s retirement fund.

“Once you raise the property tax,” Plaas noted, “anyone ever saw it come off?”

Storms said he is convinced that the levy issue should not go in front of the voters again “for the near future.”

Plaas noted the need for “solutions to external problems before we start asking citizens for more money.” He even came with some non-traditional ideas that may not prove to be real popular with parents who will be casting a ballot soon. Plaas said he would be in favor of kids not being eligible to earn a driver’s license if they fail the MAP test.

Smith didn’t have as strong of a performance at the forum, but still had a few choice sound bites for the crowd of 70-plus in attendance, saying the district was “out of balance” with the levy issue.

One area that Plaas and Smith didn’t agree on was whether budget cuts could come right from Central Office. Smith argued the district would “build morale and show character” if it cut from the top down. Plaas countered that the R-7 administration pay is already the ninth lowest in the state.

On the topic of school vouchers, most seemed to be turned off by the idea. Plaas continued his assault of the state elected officials, asking “what does it cost and who is going to pay the bills?”

Wiley noted that private schools get to pick their students, while the public districts take in everyone.

Storms also weighed in, noting that if that measure were to pass, “students would flock to the R-7 School District.”

A few interesting facts should also be noted from the forum.

Plaas said that 42 percent of R-7 graduates that attend local community colleges must take remedial mathematics and English.

Another was that board candidate Mike Smith has never been a school board meeting, a fact that Wiley chided him on.

“It is incumbent on a candidate to attend a board meeting when you file,” Wiley noted.

Candidate Terri Harmon was unable to stay past the first 15 minutes of the forum due to a family commitment.

It will be interesting to see how voters weigh in on these five come April 5.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:04 AM

I was talking to a friend today and some things came to mind. Many people want to know why I fight with the school district and the State. I have earned quite a reputation as a crazy mom. There are many people that are happy with the education that their children are getting and wonder why I am not. Well, let me explain it to you.

I have known that my son has autism since he was three years old. I lived in a very small town in Illinois and the district felt that he "wasn't right" and put him into school. They didn't know what the problem was, but they were determined to find out and give the best that they had.

This was a town of 1,200 people. Their resources were very limited. I didn't even know that my child had an issue. I was blind. Something that would affect my judgment for the next ten years.

These wonderful people put my son into a classroom of six students and two teachers. They gave him OT and ST. They worked on his social skills. They worked on any issue that came up. Not because they had to. He didn't even have an IEP yet. They did it because they saw a child that needed help to be successful in life. They treated him like a human being that needed guidance and support. He was not another drain on their budget. They had practically no budget. It didn't matter. HE mattered.

When my son was five we moved back to Kansas City. This is where my husband and I were raised. We carefully called and interviewed every school district on both sides of the state line. We wanted to make sure that Jake would get the best that Kansas City had to offer.

After several phone calls and interviews we chose Lee's Summit. I went and told the personnel here that the district in Illinois felt that Jake wasn't ready for regular kindergarten. They felt that he needed 1 on 1 or small group instruction for at least one more year. It stated it in his IEP. Lee's Summit assured me that they were a big district that could handle all of his needs and issues and that the best thing for Jake was going to kindergarten. Once again, I was blind.

Jake went to Prairie View from kindergarten through sixth grade. He had some amazing teachers there. They were kind, supportive, and made accommodations that his IEP didn't call for. We had no issues there. I truly felt that we had picked the best school district that we could have. I volunteered in his classroom every week for at least 2-3 hours. I helped with the school carnival. I helped with health fair. I wrote to the Kansas City Star and told them what an amazing job they were doing with my son.

I didn't know much about autism and I felt like the district was doing all that Jake needed. Little did I know that when he got into high school my only hope for him would be living in a group home. That is where we are now.

His psychiatrist said that if he didn’t have autism colleges would be knocking our door down to get to him. But, he has autism and the school district never provided the services that he needed. So, I have a brilliant child that will never leave home.
WHY? Because the district never addressed his autism. They didn't address his dysgraphia. They didn't address his social issues. They didn't address his written language issues. Why didn't they? I didn't demand it. In seventh grade the only goal he had on his IEP was to be able to write a paragraph. This is a child with autism, dysgraphia, and a written language deficit.

I thought that you had to believe in the experts and trust them. That blindness has caused the loss of my son's independence. If I had educated myself and fought for him, he would have a different future. His future was stolen and I stood back and let it happen.

I gave the school district a five year old with potential. They have given back a child that will never leave home. I let them do this to my child. My silence and acceptance granted them permission to destroy my son's future. He could have been an independent tax paying citizen. Now he will be a burden on tax payers. Not to worry, Lee's Summit. You have no group homes here, so he won't burden your city.

I let the State of Missouri and the Lee's Summit School District steal my son's future. I will live with that until the day that I die because Jake will be living with me until the day I die. What will happen to him after that, only God knows. I pray that you never have to go to bed at night and think about that.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:05 AM

Some Area School Districts Receive Sanctions and Awards
This is how Lee's Summit got their award for distinction in performance. That is very misleading. Read on to see how most districts in Missouri got the same award.

seMissourian.com: Local News: Some area school districts receive sanctions and awards (12/15/08)

Some area school districts receive sanctions and awards
Monday, December 15, 2008
By Lindy Bavolek
Southeast Missourian

Some school districts that received federal sanctions this year for not making enough progress are now receiving a state award for distinction in performance.

That's because the state looks at a broader range of data, including ACT scores, college placement rates and availability of advanced courses, while the federal government focuses mainly on test scores, holding all subgroups of students accountable.

So some districts that received criticism when Missouri Assessment Program results were released in August are now celebrating their state distinction.

The state's education department doled out awards to 330 districts out of 523 this year. Chaffee, Delta, Jackson, Leopold, Oak Ridge, Oran, Kelly, Woodland, Zalma, Altenburg, Kelso and Nell Holcomb made the list. Absent from the list are Cape Girardeau, Meadow Heights, Perryville and Scott City. All the districts are fully accredited. For Jackson, this is the 11th year for the district to receive the award.

"I think it's having a faculty and staff that understand that we're always trying to improve. We're not satisfied to just remain where we are," said assistant superintendent Dr. Rita Fisher.

The accolade comes four months after the district was placed in the first level of sanctions under No Child Left Behind. The district as a whole did not meet targets in math or reading for two consecutive years. While students on average met the standards, qualifying the district for the state award, subgroups of students did not. Those subgroups include students classified as special education, black or receiving free or reduced-price lunch.

Similar situations, where a district received the state award but moved into improvement status under the federal government, occurred in Oran, Kelly and Woodland.

Jim Morris, spokesman for the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education, referred in an e-mail to No Child Left Behind mandates and Distinction in Performance indicators as "two different galaxies." No Child Left Behind is largely building focused, he said, while the state's accreditation mechanism recognizes districts.

Jackson superintendent Dr. Ron Anderson said he supports "the accountability standard," but thinks some of No Child Left Behind's requirements are unobtainable.
"With some of those [subgroup] populations, it's not realistic. With this, you have a better chance. The subgroups are more of a bonus category," Fisher said.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:06 AM

How Good Is Lee's Summit and Missouri?
Spending

Our tax levy is one of the highest in the metro area, yet we spend among the least on our students. Our children can learn in any building.

During the last election one of the present school board members said that he would hold up our facilities to any of those in Johnson County. I didn’t move to Lee’s Summit to compete with Johnson County. I moved here because the schools were supposed to be among the best that the metro had to offer.

Here is an article from the Lee’s Summit R-VII newsletter:

The Kansas City Business Journal recently featured a listing of the top 25 school districts based on enrollments. The information including budget and employee statistics appeared in an October 2008 issue of the publication.

Lee’s Summit R-7 ranked seventh in the metropolitan area in terms of total enrollment among the 25 districts selected for the newspaper edition. The R-7 School District’s total enrollment for this school year is 17,137.

The six districts in the metro area with higher enrollments are Shawnee Mission, Kan,; Olathe, Kan.; Kansas City, MO, Blue Valley, Kan.; Kansas City Kan.; and North Kansas City.

The Business Journal also featured a chart listing the top 19 school districts in terms of cost per pupil. On this list, the Lee's Summit R-7 School District was the lowest, spending the least per student of the 19 districts included in the newspaper's ranking.

While we have received the Distinction of Performance Award for eight years we have also shown regression for certain subgroups.

Lee’s Summit has been blessed with a high population of children that are high achievers. Studies show that children in affluent school districts do better than those in high poverty districts. We live in an affluent suburb with the highest tax levy in the metro area. We have parents that are professionals and children that have access to many amenities that allow them to reach their potential. We have some of the highest paid teachers in the state of Missouri.

Is it because they go to school in Lee’s Summit or does Lee’s Summit look good because those kids attend their schools?

If you brought kids from the Kansas City School District out here would they prosper as well? Isn’t that one of the subgroup of students that Lee’s Summit is failing? The numbers show that Lee’s Summit scores have regressed for black students, free lunch students, and special education students. There is no denying that.

Missouri is 45th in the country for education. Is it enough to be the best of the worst? I would like to think that we would strive for more than that. Missouri handed out 330 of the same awards across the whole state. Those same districts also were failing black students, free lunch students, and special education students. Can you really claim distinction in performance when the only students that are doing well are the ones that would do well no matter where they went?

The 2009 U.S.News & World Report America's Best High Schools methodology, developed by School Evaluation Services, a K-12 education data research business run by Standard & Poor's, is based on the key principles that a great high school must serve all its students well, not just those who are bound for college and that it must be able to produce measurable academic outcomes to show that the school is successfully educating its student body across a range of performance indicators.

Lee's Summit Senior High Jackson County, Lee's Summit, MO
Poverty-Adjusted Performance
Disadvantaged Student Performance Gap
College Readiness Index
Minority Enrollment
Disadvantaged Student Enrollment
Not applicable
13.0%
11.9%
Bronze

Old 12-29-2012, 10:07 AM

Money Spent On Special Education
At the recent candidate forum Patti Buie stated that the Lee's Summit School District spends $3 on every special education student for every $1 they spend on regular education students.

I wanted to address that, but I didn't have my facts. Last year, when I ran for school board, they gave Micheal Mahoney some figures. It didn't add up. He did his math wrong on the first airing, but they corrected it on the second airing. Also, we are trying to get an audit of the district. It takes 5,000 signatures.

AOL On Homepage

According to the district, there are 17,000 students enrolled. 1,900 are special needs students. Their budget is $200,00,000,000. They spend $15,000,000,000 on special needs. According to Texas Instruments, Their special needs students represent 11% of their enrollment. They spend 7.5% of their budget on special needs. And let's not forget that they get extra money from the federal government for children on IEPs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or