U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 09:12 PM

3,572 posts, read 6,204,472 times

Advertisements

I agree with kcmo in regard to a transit center on thr Plaza. But I'm not sure xeno actually does know it would be a problem. I don't think he thought it out that much.

I'm not sure who I'm talking to, myself I guess. But I also don't see any reason to tear out the beloved tennis center. I do, however, think something better could be done with the east side of Main on both sides of 47th/ECB. A Whole Foods and Target pairing with residential or something along with a redesign of Main to be more friendly to pedestrians. I've always thought Walgreen's would have been good in the base of the West Edge/Polsinelli.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 08:00 AM

10,705 posts, read 18,520,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
I agree with kcmo in regard to a transit center on thr Plaza. But I'm not sure xeno actually does know it would be a problem. I don't think he thought it out that much.

I'm not sure who I'm talking to, myself I guess. But I also don't see any reason to tear out the beloved tennis center. I do, however, think something better could be done with the east side of Main on both sides of 47th/ECB. A Whole Foods and Target pairing with residential or something along with a redesign of Main to be more friendly to pedestrians. I've always thought Walgreen's would have been good in the base of the West Edge/Polsinelli.
I would like to see the tennis center moved (maintaining the high quality look and feel of the existing center) to somewhere near the Brush Creek corridor. The Brush Creek greenway is so under utilized. Maybe build it up between the Ward Parkways or down near the Kauffman Foudation. Then build a nice mixed use development where the existing tennis courts are. Not a high-rise and not something that will generate a ton of auto traffic or a huge parking garage (grocery store etc), but some ground level cafes and maybe 2nd floor retail/office and 3rd floor residential.

The tennis courts are just not very urban friendly. They are practically walled off from the public and they close off what should be a nice connection of green space between Brush Creek and Mill Creek Park.

I don't think a major transit hub at that location is a good idea, lets face it, a lot of loitering, idling diesel buses etc at a large transit facility that will be a primary transit center for the east side of KCMO so close to such a fragile (suburban marketed and touristy) area of KC is just not a great idea. But a smaller, well designed station for max and streetcars over near Main would be fine.

That block is big enough to have the transit station near main, a nice mall or park area to create a much needed connection between Mill Creek Park and Brush Creek and a mixed use development near JC Nichols that will bring plaza's vibrancy east of JC Nichols a bit.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:02 PM

3,572 posts, read 6,204,472 times
^I'm sort of with you on the idea of having greenway (or maybe even an actual "plaza") connect Brush Creek and Mill Creek Park. It sounds interesting.

However, is there a good reason to not add traffic to the already busy streets and intersections in the area? I can understand that if somebody is thinking in terms of traffic planning and flow might think so. But wouldn't traffic that is more choked (narrow streets, better medians), and urbanizing what is basically a suburban JoCo intersection in the city, make for a better pedestrian area? SW Trafficway flows well through the westside of the Plaza and it's very urban and built up. What adverse effect might adding more traffic have? Through traffic might avoid it a bit and use other routes more, but so what.

And I don't know for sure, but I'm thinking the Plaza Tennis Center's location in the thick of things might be part of its appeal.

Oh, and being that we're talking about transit and a streetcar extension in this thread, wouldn't that be a good catalyst for urbanizing the eastside of the Plaza/Main St?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or