U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 01:02 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,109,783 times

Advertisements

KC transit/transportation have always been stepping backward since the 1950s. All of a sudden many things are happening or more realistically in the works.

TransitKC Top 12 transit stories of 2012

Downtown Streetcar - It's really happening this time. Fully funded and construction to start next year. It's only 2 mile starter but it's a good start that will allow it to use sooner than later. It will be free to ride downtown. Already earnest plans for extension or another line in the works.

Bikeshare - A dozen bike rental stations downtown started last summer and will be adding Midtown/Plaza/UMKC Spring 2013. kc.bcycle.com

Airport Terminal - Love or hate it, the strangest airport design in world may finally consolidate into a single terminal. It's been ranted about enough - they are trying to do something about it now. Feds seem to want it more than KC does.

Commuter Rail - A commuter line downtown to Eastern JaxCo will go up for vote next year, which will tie into streetcar and MAX lines downtown. The county wide vote will give a good indication how much KC wants to improve metro transit. It's also bundled with Katy Trail bike extension into city. Am optimistic this will go through unless economy tanks next year. If JaxCo does this, it may encourage other metro counties to focus on other lines.

MAX lines - The 2 semi-BRT lines from downtown to main core of city were bumped up to 10 min day/15 night. Not true BRT with dedicated lanes but having stations that tell when next bus comes and running often is nice to have, much more usable. Another line through KCK to downtown KCMO is to complete soon. Main St Orange Line and bikeshare stations...
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1238514/pics/bus/maxmwk.gif

Bus ridership is up - Metro wide ridership has been going up every year. UMKC/Rockhurst students get an included annual bus pass with tuition.

I49 - KC got a new Interstate highway that will go to New Orleans when complete. Is complete to MO/AR border (this year). Not sure how long til complete to NOLA.

Cuts - Some Metro bus lines cut, funds cut despite higher ridership. City core is nicely improved, burbs get burnt.

Bike Trails - Many want more focus on bike trails in city core, which is apparently in the works. Some decent burb trails but not much in city. It's on radar for mayor, who is making more things happen than not.

Amtrak - Ridership between KC/STL keeps going up every year. Needs to be faster and a couple more runs per day.

For better or worse, Independence breaks from KC ATA with its own system. Didn't go too well first year.

JoCo is talking about adding another outer freeway loop creating more sprawl instead of improving public transit and encouraging infill. Hopefully the JaxCo commuter rail vote will go through next year and JoCo subliminally starts to pay attention to public transit instead. But I"m guessing the last thing they want to do is ship workers to MO side.

Last edited by xenokc; 12-30-2012 at 01:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 02:47 PM

196 posts, read 291,606 times
Yes, KC is slowly but surely moving forward on a lot of these proposed projects. I just hope all this state line BS won't become a distraction from these goals and visions KC has for its future.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:17 PM

The good news is that about half isn't proposed but already there and improving or fully approved. The proposed stuff is more realistic than 5 years ago.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:04 AM

Wichita is pushing for an Amtrak extension from DFW to KC through Wichita and claiming momentum...

Quote:
Heartland Flyer conductor Doug Berge checks passenger Candy Hart's ticket to Oklahoma City on the Fort Worth platform. Wichita’s pursuit of the Heartland Flyer passenger rail system has gained momentum. The city is pursuing the Amtrak passenger route that runs from Dallas to Oklahoma City, with expansion possibilities from Fort Worth to Kansas City.
Efforts to bring Heartland Flyer rail service through Wichita gain speed | Wichita Eagle

Old 01-10-2013, 11:08 AM

A lot of discussion going on about extending streetcar line to Plaza/UMKC...
KCRag Forum - View topic - Phase 2 streetcar to UMKC

And ideas to tear down Plaza tennis courts for a transit center..
Tear down Plaza Tennis Courts for Neighborhood/Transit Amenities | Midtown Plaza by MindMixer

Old 01-10-2013, 06:49 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,493,517 times
I honestly don't know if KC can handle a full blown transit center that close to the plaza. I mean the people living in the city could, but KC's suburbanites are some of the most anti-city anti-urban (ok, I'll just say it, they are intimidated by people that don't look like they just drove in from Overland Park).

I think a transit center there would kill the plaza and scare off too many people from the burbs.

Having said that, yea, they need to get the streetcars extended to UMKC and elsewhere.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:02 PM

It can just be a Walgreens or something with a pocket park and coffee shop, not a ghetto transit center. The tennis courts are a misuse of that prime space. KC can't handle it? Wah? More typical belitttling. Whatever.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
It can just be a Walgreens or something with a pocket park and coffee shop, not a ghetto transit center. The tennis courts are a misuse of that prime space. KC can't handle it? Wah? More typical belitttling from the KC boy now all DC big city grown up guy huh? Whatever.
Um, I am the same guy and say the same stuff I always have said. You can look the other way, but KC does have some pretty major racial problems. You put something that will no doubt create plenty of reasons for KCTV 5 to do breaking stories every night from some crime that went down there and you will create major publicity problems for the plaza. People in the suburbs of KC are scared of freaking Westport for crying out loud.

I guess we might be thinking of different things when you say transit center. You can put up a nice little shelter area there without taking a lot of land, but a full blown transit center with many routes and layovers will create image problems for the plaza and I'm pretty sure you know it.

If they do propose such a transit center, you watch. It will be the first time the residents and highwoods will agree on something.

If you are going to build something on those tennis courts, do something high density and mixed use anyway.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:18 PM

Not sure what putting a Walgreens there has to do with you suggesting that would happen. Nice thread kill material to bring up.

E Side of Plaza is already sort of used as a transit connection point, just not a center. You of all people Id think would support TOD where lines meet.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:40 PM

I do support it. I supported it when the city made the bannister mall area a transit center and watched as just interacting with people that rode those buses scared people to death and I was one of the ones that rode the buses and never understood the fear that built up over bus lines. I guess I have seen nothing that would tell me that a transit center that close to the plaza would be welcomed. I could be wrong. BTW, there is a reason why there is not a major transit center at Crown Center and they keep it as stops only. Crown Center could easily be a major transit center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or