U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 09:45 AM

27 posts, read 47,095 times

Advertisements

Okay so in two months, we are going to be starting the process of buying a house. So a little info on me. I'm 25, married, and we have two sons (4 months and almost 5.)

We are looking to buy a house in either Smithville, Platte City, Raymore, or Kearney. Now i have done research online into the schools and all of these have good schools which is why they are in the final selection.

We are looking for a town that is not physically connected to Kansas city(has some nothing in between KC and the town), that has a cute little walkable downtown area, friendly people, community events so i can get to know people and have stuff to take my kids to, and i'd love to be able to see the stars at night and be pretty quiet where i can hear the bugs chirping at night. We live in Independence and theres just this ugly glow at night and the sounds of the city. I don't like it, lol. And information on crime.

Any information would be great.

OH and me and hubby love bowling. It's not at ALL a deal breaker but if you can throw in if there is a bowling alley or not in the area, that would be great lol And maybe any other recreational stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 10:52 AM

220 posts, read 359,292 times
Raymore has low crime, great schools, a little separation from the city (but not a lot), you can see the stars and hear the bugs chirping though, the people are friendly, plenty of community events, etc.

It has no downtown at all, but has plenty of parks and paved trails.

The downsides are the entire town is pretty much cookie cutter residential, no real industry or businesses are there outside of retail/service. No real uniqueness or charm to the town at all.

Oddly enough, I think there is a bowling alley off of 58/71 highway.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:57 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,488,746 times
What about Grain Valley? Although that's pretty much connected to metro KC now. I have always liked that bowling alley in Blue Springs (Lunur Bowl?) one of nicest in metro KC.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:38 AM

Because there were two areas that my hubby does not want to live in. Liberty and the blue springs/grain valley area

Old 01-08-2013, 12:59 PM

3,572 posts, read 6,195,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika87 View Post
Because there were two areas that my hubby does not want to live in. Liberty and the blue springs/grain valley area
Just out of curiousity, why?

Old 01-08-2013, 01:15 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,488,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Just out of curiousity, why?
My guess is it's too built up. Blue Springs/Grain Valley is basically one area of continuos suburbia of 65,000 people (which is connected to Independence). Nothing like Kearney or Platte City. Grain Valley is practically a large subdivision slapped onto the side of Blue Springs. I just thought I would offer the idea though.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:40 PM

10,157 posts, read 9,903,614 times
I live in SKCMO and Liberty beats them all out by a wide margin. Liberty is by itself avery nice small town with amenities.. Too bad.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
My guess is it's too built up. Blue Springs/Grain Valley is basically one area of continuos suburbia of 65,000 people (which is connected to Independence). Nothing like Kearney or Platte City. Grain Valley is practically a large subdivision slapped onto the side of Blue Springs. I just thought I would offer the idea though.

That is exactly why we both agree that we don't want to live in that area. And he personally doesn't want to live in Liberty because he grew up there and didn't care much for it. He wants something new lol.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:44 AM

5,758 posts, read 9,485,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
I live in SKCMO and Liberty beats them all out by a wide margin. Liberty is by itself avery nice small town with amenities.. Too bad.
I have lived in the Northland my entire life and would never live in Liberty. It's a hell to get in and out of and the town just has a weird vibe to it. Its not something I can explain but it just does.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:52 AM

So me and hubby finally settled on a decision. We are for sure moving to the northland but the exact location is uncertain. It will just be wherever we find the best house to fit our needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City