U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2013, 12:26 PM

433 posts, read 832,099 times

Advertisements

I'm currently considering leasing a condo at The Talisman Condominiums at 104th St and Wornall Road, which is just two blocks from I435.

I am a single female concerned about safety. I've been living in Overland Park for a little over a year, but I still don't know the KC area very well.

Any info/opinions about this area would be GREATLY appreciated.

Last edited by 50something; 01-13-2013 at 01:12 PM.. Reason: typo
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 12:52 PM

I forgot to mention that I looked at the Crime Map; however, I'd like to have first-hand recommendations. Anyone lived at The Talisman or knows about the area?

Last edited by 50something; 01-13-2013 at 01:11 PM..

Old 01-13-2013, 01:19 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,109,249 times
That area is fine. It's difficult to tell when people post about wanting a 'safe' area as it's all relative to what a person is accustomed to. Single women (including frail girly girls) from the burbs and elsewhere are moving into the city core at a noticeable pace, including my older single sister who came here from Austin years ago - she's wary but not at all concerned, also rides the bus. Crime happens in cities, is just the way it is - KC's E Side is quite bad and is easy to avoid, the rest of KCMO is no different than any major city, per type of hood (lower income hoods have more issues like anywhere). Overall, I435/Wornall to Redbridge crime is relatively low compared to core of city, mostly property theft if anything. Probably not much higher than OP, which has its share too. E of there towards Grandview has more issues.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:01 PM

3,572 posts, read 6,195,578 times
The area is fine, but won't be what you're used to living in Overland Park. If you're a pretty younger or older classy female, you might stand out a bit more than in OP. Oddly (or maybe not so oddly), as soon as you cross the state line the amount and quality of the women changes rather abruptly. For proof, go to the Price Chopper at 103rd and State Line on the Missouri side and then go to either Hyvee on the Kansas side of state line at either 76th or 122nd. I live a mile or so from Tailsman. I'm not familar with the complex, but I do recall seeing a condo for sale there for $34K not too long ago - if that says anything.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:42 PM

I apologize -- I should have been more specific in terms of the types of crime. I'm primarily concerned with someone breaking into my condo, or theft/vandalism of my vehicle since I will no longer have an attached garage. The Crime map pointed towards those kinds of crimes (in addition -- ASSAULT) occurring in the 400 block of West 104th St, which is the precise area in which I would be living.

Old 01-13-2013, 03:04 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,109,249 times
Overland Park has about 200 assaults a year, gasp, as does most any major suburb in major cities. But to compare, that part of south KC is probably more than S OP and comparable to N OP. N side of I435 maybe a bit higher, closer to Holmes and further E.

Edit: Apts tend to have more issues than condos/homes. Does the condo have gated or garage parking? If so, even less likely to have issues.

Last edited by xenokc; 01-13-2013 at 04:23 PM..

Old 01-13-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
Overland Park has about 200 assaults a year, gasp, as does most any major suburb in major cities. But to compare, that part of south KC is probably more than S OP and comparable to N OP. N side of I435 maybe a bit higher, closer to Holmes and further E.

Edit: Apts tend to have more issues than condos/homes. Does the condo have gated or garage parking? If so, even less likely to have issues.
This is a condo community, but no gate or garage parking. My last three rentals had an attached garage, so I'm afraid I've grown accustomed to that amenity. I would literally cry if anything happened to my vehicle.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
The area is fine, but won't be what you're used to living in Overland Park. If you're a pretty younger or older classy female, you might stand out a bit more than in OP. Oddly (or maybe not so oddly), as soon as you cross the state line the amount and quality of the women changes rather abruptly. For proof, go to the Price Chopper at 103rd and State Line on the Missouri side and then go to either Hyvee on the Kansas side of state line at either 76th or 122nd. I live a mile or so from Tailsman. I'm not familar with the complex, but I do recall seeing a condo for sale there for $34K not too long ago - if that says anything.
You're right, MOKAN, the condos at Talisman range from 29K to the 60s, if I'm not mistaken. Interesting info about MO vs KS women. (Does that apply to the men, too? (just kidding!) I never noticed much difference in the people, but then again, I've been here for only a little over a year. I will say that I'm pleasantly surprised at how much friendlier the KC metro area is in comparison to my previous location.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:08 PM

3,572 posts, read 6,195,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50something View Post
You're right, MOKAN, the condos at Talisman range from 29K to the 60s, if I'm not mistaken. Interesting info about MO vs KS women. (Does that apply to the men, too? (just kidding!) I never noticed much difference in the people, but then again, I've been here for only a little over a year. I will say that I'm pleasantly surprised at how much friendlier the KC metro area is in comparison to my previous location.

I don't think it's necessarily Kansas vs Missouri women. Because there are attractive women in the MO suburbs and core. I think in this area it has more to do with school districts and their greater effects. Along the state line, all of the MO side school districts are poor quality while on KS they're some of the best. Beautiful women seem to thrive in the best areas.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Oddly (or maybe not so oddly), as soon as you cross the state line the amount and quality of the women changes rather abruptly. For proof, go to the Price Chopper at 103rd and State Line on the Missouri side and then go to either Hyvee on the Kansas side of state line at either 76th or 122nd.
Thanks for the clarification -- I was only responding to your comment above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City