U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 07:39 AM

14 posts, read 17,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
The only one of those I've personally viewed both inside and out is Dunleith Towers, which was the first place I toured during my most recent housing search. They lean very heavily on the fact that they have two pools, but the units themselves are nothing special. I also found the property manager offputting. When I viewed it (1 p.m. on a workday in summer), there were a lot of GTL-type dudes lounging poolside, and the potential d-bag factor did turn me off a bit. 45 Madison is nice, but was out of my school teacher price range. I have had friends who lived in Fountain View who found it shoddy for the price and not well-maintained once you get past the exterior, but that's secondhand. A coworker loved Sunset, and I used to live in a vintage building on that block, which I loved. Overall, I lean more toward the vintage buildings than the contemporary loft space/luxury apt. rehabs, aesthetic-wise, but that's just a personal taste thing.
TabulaRasa,
Thanks for your perspective on these properties. This is great feedback for me as I begin my housing search. I would imagine I would be at the Plaza frequently for entertainment and such, but the prospect of living downtown still has a pull! Can't wait to tour several properties in the near future.

Thanks again for the wonderful feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 10:05 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,134,783 times
Here's a list of downtown lofts. As already mentioned, downtown is over 95% leased out so you may have to look at renting from individual condo owners...

http://www.downtownkc.org/wp-content...ing-Report.pdf

Old 01-16-2013, 06:47 AM

What about 8th street and Admiral Blvd in the northeast corner of downtown? Some nice condos there. Within walking distance to the P&L (like to walk).
Is the neighborhood going to be much different than say closer downtown (ex. Wallstreet Towers)? More riffraff near Admiral Blvd?
Thanks

Old 01-16-2013, 08:36 AM

Yeah, that area has relatively more riff raff than rest of downtown. There are a few hirise condo buildings there - I know a couple people in them. There is a homeless park to the SE that street people call Jurassic Park. Most who live there complain more about lack of amenities in the area than the homeless people. No place to get basic goods nearby. There have been some big plans for more residential (called East Village), but nothing particularly solid yet.

Frankly you may get tired with P&L after a while. It does have a lot of nightclubs that attract the 'bridge and tunnel' crowd from the burbs on weekends and also gets the convention/event crowd, like arena concerts. It's a corporate entertainment district. River Market and Xroads have a lot more neighborhood type bars and eats and RM has more basic amenities. There is also a new bikeshare system with a dozen stations downtown so you can bike from RM or Xroads to center of downtown. And then a new streetcar is going in from Union Station to RM in a couple/few years, which will be free to use. So you may broaden your search to all of downtown.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:28 AM

Many say this is a good place to go through to find downtown living (rent and own)...

Residential for Rent-Properties- Boveri Realty Group

Old 01-16-2013, 09:31 AM

2 posts, read 5,403 times
Suprisingly KC has a decent amount of cabs, I've never had to wait longer than 15 minutes to get one on a friday or saturday night to pick me up. (I've lived both in downtown and now west plaza). Finding one when you want to leave is real easy too. Everything is pretty close together so there will probably be nights where you feel like pnl, plaza, martini corner, etc.

I would probably just focus on the amenities the place you rent gives you for the price...also being close to grocery stores/access to highways and such are something to consider as well.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:42 AM

^Good to see another city dweller who has lived both ends. Good point that KC does have a lot of cabs, I use them several times a year though living along MAX line I'm less dependent on them. You can't always hail one from anywhere in city core but if you call one, usually comes within a few minutes, 15min tops. All the city hotspots and major hotels have cab stands. Store a couple cab companies in phone.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:33 PM

More awesome intel! Thanks guys.
I'll just throw this out there, I'm scheduled to be back for a look/see from evening of Jan 24 (Thursday) through Sunday noon. I'll be in downtown area Thurs/Fri and then hang in Plaza area Sat/Sun.
If anyone would like to hang out I'd be happy to buy a few pints! I'll end up being the chatty guy from Florida at the local bars! Just want to learn more about my future home.
Thanks again!

Old 01-16-2013, 09:40 PM

35,859 posts, read 39,854,994 times
Hah, it's my birthday weekend, will def be out and about, most likely Plaza/Westport. Feel free to drop me a direct message if you're in the area; my sister will be visiting from out of state during that same stretch of time, and it's her first time in KC, so we'll definitely be touring various establishments for her benefit.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:56 PM

Will be in LA through next weekend. In case I've overstated, keep in mind KC is much smaller than Miami with less activity, but does have quite a bit for its size.

Check out Westport, Martini Corner, w39th too. Some places around town... Bluestem, Manifesto, Kill Devil Club, Blue Koi, Room 39, Harrys Westport, The Drop, Lulus Thai, Phoenix, Aladdin Cafe, Grand St Cafe, BBQ anywhere. Search for bar/restaurant threads on here. Maybe Sat morning tour on MAX Orange bus out to Waldo on 75th to River Market if not apt hunting. Is a good way to see core of city.

Last edited by xenokc; 01-16-2013 at 10:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or