Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 06:48 PM

14 posts, read 20,217 times

Advertisements

Hello all.
I've read several threads on moving to KC, so thought I'd customize this so its personal to me and hope to hear your opinions! Thanks in advance.
I'm a 33 yr old single male. I've only been to KC once to interview, so I didn't have much time to scope areas to live. Based on feedback from this forum, I've isolated downtown (Financial district/P&L, etc) as a possible location, as well as the Plaza area.
I am single and look to meet interesting people, including single women. My first question is, which of the two locations mentioned above would be better for someone to go out for drinks, dinner, entertainment, and just to meet nice people in general? Walking would be nice to get some exercise, even in winter!
I've heard the Plaza area is quite popular for professional singles. I've heard sometimes its very "Sex and the City" females types in the Plaza area that like martinis and such. Not trying to generalize or stereotype, but women that are wayyyy too into themselves is a huge turnoff. Looking forward to moving back to Midwest (grew up in suburban Chicagoland) to be around genuinely nice people. South Florida is a little blah in that regard.
I will be able to get a nice place downtown, maybe Wallstreet Towers, maybe something else. My research has shown the Plaza would be a little more affordable in regards to housing. But the downtown vibe (if KC truly has one) would be enticing to a primarily suburban person like myself.
So from the single men out there, what is your opinion on the single scene? Haven't been able to glean too much on the overall quality of living when it comes to relationships out there.
Thanks everyone!
KC Bound
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 07:17 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,781,832 times
The Plaza does have its share of Sex and City type martini girls but I wouldn't say 'too into themselves' like I've seen in FL. Since you describe yourself as a suburban type, you might like Plaza area overall. Plaza/Westport have more daily pedestrian traffic. Downtown can be dead at times unless there are events going on - can sometimes be very very lively. Both have good lounges and eats but downtown places are more scattered. P&L is often called 'fratboy' crowd but I think it's pretty mixed. Xroads and River Market have a lot of good bars/eats too.

There are many professionals both downtown and Plaza. I'm single, professional, live between Plaza/Westport, and even though have been seeing someone for years, my single sister is a Plaza cocktail lounger (older though) and I hang with her and her younger friends at times - you'll meet some women with meaningful intentions, some girly girls who just want to party (though KC doesn't seem to do well on dating city lists, level headed people do fine). Westport and w39th in midtown are good areas too that lean more altie/hipster crowd and a lot more diversity in midtown. If you want something more off path yet close to everything, also check out River Market (N side of downtown) and Union Hill/Martini Corner - both have many young professionals.

Here's a city core guide on Main St bus line to give you some context, which you may have already seen. The good news is that wherever you live, it's all tied together with this bus line...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1238514/pics/bus/maxmwk.gif

Last edited by xenokc; 01-13-2013 at 07:26 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 01-13-2013, 09:32 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,448,894 times
River Market is a pretty nice area id consider, its like its own little small town down there. There aren't too many bars in the area but there are is a decent amount of restaurants plus you have the city market right at your door.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:00 AM

Thanks guys. This seems consistent with what I've read so far, and I appreciate the detail on the Westport area. Great map btw, I've seen it before and think it serves as a great reference for all transitioning to KC. Nice!
I've read about River Market and considered it but I believe it will be a little too far from where I will want to spend my free time (downtown/Plaza) so I nixed it from the list. If I were in a cohabitation situation, I might rethink that.

I will have my look/see trip in the next week or so, and will get out and walk the streets for a long weekend to get a feel for the different areas.
Thanks!

Old 01-14-2013, 05:13 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,314,997 times
I live on the Plaza, and so do a bunch of my (single, female) friends, and we couldn't be less "Sex and the City" types. If you frequent cocktail lounges anywhere, you're going to find that type no matter where you live, but plenty of normal, average, down-to-earth people live on the Plaza, and in any other neighborhood, for that matter. The Plaza is perceived as high-end, because of the caliber of shops in the shopping district, the number of legal and financial firms that have offices there, and the historic architecture, but the truth is, it's loaded with affordable rentals, as well, many of which are populated by UMKC and Rockhurst students (my building is loaded with UMKC kids), servers and bartenders who keep the Plaza's bars and restaurants going, and, like me, young professionals who work in nonprofit and social service industries and aren't party girls with cosmos in hand. We do tend to go out more in more relaxed, laid back neighborhoods like Westport, Waldo, etc., but there are definitely places on the Plaza to get a drink or dinner with friends that aren't obnoxious.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I live on the Plaza, and so do a bunch of my (single, female) friends, and we couldn't be less "Sex and the City" types. If you frequent cocktail lounges anywhere, you're going to find that type no matter where you live, but plenty of normal, average, down-to-earth people live on the Plaza, and in any other neighborhood, for that matter. The Plaza is perceived as high-end, because of the caliber of shops in the shopping district, the number of legal and financial firms that have offices there, and the historic architecture, but the truth is, it's loaded with affordable rentals, as well, many of which are populated by UMKC and Rockhurst students (my building is loaded with UMKC kids), servers and bartenders who keep the Plaza's bars and restaurants going, and, like me, young professionals who work in nonprofit and social service industries and aren't party girls with cosmos in hand. We do tend to go out more in more relaxed, laid back neighborhoods like Westport, Waldo, etc., but there are definitely places on the Plaza to get a drink or dinner with friends that aren't obnoxious.
Thanks TabulaRasa,

Let me ask about the different housing/apt communities I've been researching over the past few weeks. 45 Madison, Fountain View on the Plaza, Dunleith Towers, Sunset Apts, etc.
These are the places I'll be scouting during the next visit. Other than proximity to entertainment and such, are some better than others? Mostly the same in terms of demographic makeup?
Thanks

Old 01-14-2013, 08:32 AM

Fountain View is in good location and near MAX line but I hear the walls are thin, check into that. 45 Mad is up steep hill from Plaza but not too far walk. Not sure about the others. If you have a hard time finding apts (not much vacancy with leased units) also check into condo buildings as many individual owners lease out units.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
River Market is a pretty nice area id consider, its like its own little small town down there. There aren't too many bars in the area but there are is a decent amount of restaurants plus you have the city market right at your door.
If I moved downtown it would probably be RM. We go to the city market nearly every weekend anyway as well as the Asian markets. Is a sleepy hood but has the basics and MAX bus terminates there. They need one more bikeshare station on W end.

When streetcar goes down Delaware in a couple years, I suspect RM will pickup significantly. That street is great and could become a W39th if the focus was there.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:25 AM

A kind individual posted a comment under the reputation area in regards to my first post. The comment was that they were a fan of Sex and the City and perhaps I should avoid the city altogether.
Would you mind posting in the open forum so at least we have the chance to discuss? Love to hear your rationale.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:59 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,314,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Bound View Post
Thanks TabulaRasa,

Let me ask about the different housing/apt communities I've been researching over the past few weeks. 45 Madison, Fountain View on the Plaza, Dunleith Towers, Sunset Apts, etc.
These are the places I'll be scouting during the next visit. Other than proximity to entertainment and such, are some better than others? Mostly the same in terms of demographic makeup?
Thanks
The only one of those I've personally viewed both inside and out is Dunleith Towers, which was the first place I toured during my most recent housing search. They lean very heavily on the fact that they have two pools, but the units themselves are nothing special. I also found the property manager offputting. When I viewed it (1 p.m. on a workday in summer), there were a lot of GTL-type dudes lounging poolside, and the potential d-bag factor did turn me off a bit. 45 Madison is nice, but was out of my school teacher price range. I have had friends who lived in Fountain View who found it shoddy for the price and not well-maintained once you get past the exterior, but that's secondhand. A coworker loved Sunset, and I used to live in a vintage building on that block, which I loved. Overall, I lean more toward the vintage buildings than the contemporary loft space/luxury apt. rehabs, aesthetic-wise, but that's just a personal taste thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City