U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 08:02 PM

4,255 posts, read 4,549,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I'm talking about far right social conservatives that even permeate the culture of cities like Wichita.
Why do I get the distinct feeling that, for you, "far right" is anyone to the right of Robespierre?

Quote:
Johnson County, KS is highly educated so it votes more fiscally conservative with "social issues" not playing the all important role like the rest of the state.
Well, Kevin Yoder isn't a firebrand, and the skinny dipping incident was definitely weird, but he does vote consistently pro-life. I doubt Johnson County would have elected him if they didn't approve of his socially conservative views on abortion. When it comes to the culture or politics of any particular region, the life issue is paramount.

As for financial and economic issues, I have low expectations across the board.

Quote:
Winters: make sure you have a high output humidifer as all heat in any housing is forced hot air natural gas. Even with a GOOD humidifer the indoor relative humidity will plummet well below 20% and often below 10%. This occurs more frequently when outside air temperatures are cold and furnace runs more frequently. Also, keep a large supply of hand moisturizers as skin dries out very fast due to dry air in winter and wind.
I hadn't thought of that. Good advice! What can be done for heat if natural gas fails for some reason?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 08:51 PM

20,170 posts, read 34,480,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Why do I get the distinct feeling that, for you, "far right" is anyone to the right of Robespierre?
Social issues have no business being constantly brought up in politics, but this tends to happen very frequently in states in the so called "Bible Belt." It is a non-issue in most mainstream conventional states. the entire evolution and science education standards in Kansas will likely come up again as that issue resurfaced as recently as 2005. To clarify, I think Brownback is indeed "far right" and most would agree on that point. He has tried the social engineering experiment and implemented his tax reduction agenda and it has failed. Revenues plummeted, the state still ran a budget defecit, and schools were so underfunded that a lawsuit was filed in Shawnee County to increase funding to the mandated per pupil dollar level.

Quote:
Well, Kevin Yoder isn't a firebrand, and the skinny dipping incident was definitely weird, but he does vote consistently pro-life. I doubt Johnson County would have elected him if they didn't approve of his socially conservative views on abortion. When it comes to the culture or politics of any particular region, the life issue is paramount.
Johnson County does lean socially conservative in the outlying moderate income parts of the county. Olathe is socially conservative, Gardner is socially conservative, etc. The areas of Johnson County inside the 435 loop are generally more mixed demographically and more mainstream politically. The high educational attainment levels in Johnson County are mainly the historic result of the real estate developer mogul J C Nichols who envisoned the county as a wealthy enclave away from the city. Google him for more info. As the decades advanced, nearly all higher income professionals in the KC metro migrated to Johnson County or crossed the border from Missouri. Wealthy corporate transplants flocked to Johnson County in the booming 80s and 90s and that increased the highly materialistic nature of the place, very similar to ANY suburban area of California. "JOCO" attracts many people from the Sunbelt and California and southern Overland Park would remind you of southern California minus the palm trees. Very similar vapid, shallow, plastic culture.

Quote:
I wouldn't expect much from the state either as the current round of politicians aren't helping anything.

Quote:
I hadn't thought of that. Good advice! What can be done for heat if natural gas fails for some reason?
I don't know if this is common, but in the KC metro area it is common to have a humidity control dial by the furnace that you can manually adjust depending on how low the outside temperature is. This would improve the indoor humidity levels some, but wouldn't solve the inherent problem of "furnace running frequently with dry arctic airmass outside."
Alternatives to natural gas would be a pellet stove or wood stove, neither are terribly common in KC. Fireplaces are somewhat more common, both wood burning, gas, or propane. Passive solar heating is effective as the sun angle is still fairly high in the region during winter so lots of south facing windows help out in that regard.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Social issues have no business being constantly brought up in politics ....
I couldn't disagree more. In our degenerate times, social issues are paramount and should be front and center politically. Until we get some very basic things right again all the rest is pointless.

But I suppose we're straying pretty far off topic here ...

Quote:
Johnson County does lean socially conservative in the outlying moderate income parts of the county. Olathe is socially conservative, Gardner is socially conservative, etc. The areas of Johnson County inside the 435 loop are generally more mixed demographically and more mainstream politically.
I'm actually looking at Westwood.

Quote:
The high educational attainment levels in Johnson County are mainly the historic result of the real estate developer mogul J C Nichols who envisoned the county as a wealthy enclave away from the city. Google him for more info. As the decades advanced, nearly all higher income professionals in the KC metro migrated to Johnson County or crossed the border from Missouri. Wealthy corporate transplants flocked to Johnson County in the booming 80s and 90s and that increased the highly materialistic nature of the place, very similar to ANY suburban area of California. "JOCO" attracts many people from the Sunbelt and California and southern Overland Park would remind you of southern California minus the palm trees. Very similar vapid, shallow, plastic culture.
Yes, that's a familiar pattern. For the most part it seems that we get to choose from various types of vapid, shallow, plastic cultures in this country ... or crime and poverty. Those old humble, clean, family friendly, working class neighborhoods are increasingly rare.

Quote:
Alternatives to natural gas would be a pellet stove or wood stove, neither are terribly common in KC. Fireplaces are somewhat more common, both wood burning, gas, or propane. Passive solar heating is effective as the sun angle is still fairly high in the region during winter so lots of south facing windows help out in that regard.
Thanks. I ask because we can be sure that natural gas will not always be this inexpensive, for one thing, and cities may not always be able to maintain their infrastructures effectively. It's good to have alternatives. Any idea how difficult it is to obtain firewood in the region?

Old 01-26-2013, 12:12 PM

3,625 posts, read 6,759,161 times
Quote:
What can be done for heat if natural gas fails for some reason?
I might point out that it would be EXTREMELY rare for natural gas to fail. More likely it will be an electric outage which will prevent the furnace from running.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
I might point out that it would be EXTREMELY rare for natural gas to fail. More likely it will be an electric outage which will prevent the furnace from running.
Understood, but the end result is the same, is it not? An alternative heat source would be needed. What does Kansas City do when it loses power in a cold snap?

I still remember the statewide "rolling blackouts" here in CA back in the early 2000s. It happens.

Also, natural gas may become cost prohibitive at some point, at least intermittently. That kind of thing should be anticipated.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:22 PM

20,170 posts, read 34,480,827 times
Quote:
I couldn't disagree more. In our degenerate times, social issues are paramount and should be front and center politically. Until we get some very basic things right again all the rest is pointless.

But I suppose we're straying pretty far off topic here ...

I'm actually looking at Westwood.

Yes, that's a familiar pattern. For the most part it seems that we get to choose from various types of vapid, shallow, plastic cultures in this country ... or crime and poverty. Those old humble, clean, family friendly, working class neighborhoods are increasingly rare.

Thanks. I ask because we can be sure that natural gas will not always be this inexpensive, for one thing, and cities may not always be able to maintain their infrastructures effectively. It's good to have alternatives. Any idea how difficult it is to obtain firewood in the region?
I was pointing out that Kansas politicians love focusing on social issues without actually caring about important issues that impact their entire constiuency, jobs and economic development. Kansas has been run by the Republican party of a very long time yet the economic performance of the state is very mediocre outside of Johnson County. You will easily find this out if you do more traveling across the state. JOCO is sheltered inside its own little bubble and most residents there don't have a clue about the issues that face the rest of the state.

Westwood is what I would call an "enclave" as it was one of the original JC Nichols developments. The housing stock there is mainly from the 1930s and 1940s. It is a desirable area because it is very stable with good schools and not any crime to speak of. Property taxes are steep and the higher housing values are reflective of it being centrally located to Kansas City, MO and many other parts of the metro. If you are interested in Westwood I would expand the search to include Prairie Village and old Leawood inside 435

"Yes, that's a familiar pattern. For the most part it seems that we get to choose from various types of vapid, shallow, plastic cultures in this country ... or crime and poverty. Those old humble, clean, family friendly, working class neighborhoods are increasingly rare."

The general rule of thumb is that the built environment and overall feel of much of JOCO inside 435 is very much like the Midwest overall, but the newer areas well south of 435 do not feel much like the Midwest at all. This is the area that tends to have a larger percentage of corporate transplants, and much more shallow vapid culture, etc. It might as well be California all the way down to the red tile roofs, stuccoed exteriors, insane HOAs, and three car garages...

Yes, firewood can be found fairly easily at a reasonable cost. Adding an alternative heat stove can be easily installed as well without high cost.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:13 AM

Quote:
I was pointing out that Kansas politicians love focusing on social issues without actually caring about important issues that impact their entire constiuency, jobs and economic development. Kansas has been run by the Republican party of a very long time yet the economic performance of the state is very mediocre outside of Johnson County. You will easily find this out if you do more traveling across the state. JOCO is sheltered inside its own little bubble and most residents there don't have a clue about the issues that face the rest of the state.
Well, compared to California, the Kansas economy looks pretty darned good. I like Brownback and I'm glad Kansas pays attention to social issues that are largely ignored elsewhere. So I don't think Kansas would be a terrible match politically.

Quote:
Westwood is what I would call an "enclave" as it was one of the original JC Nichols developments. The housing stock there is mainly from the 1930s and 1940s. It is a desirable area because it is very stable with good schools and not any crime to speak of. Property taxes are steep and the higher housing values are reflective of it being centrally located to Kansas City, MO and many other parts of the metro. If you are interested in Westwood I would expand the search to include Prairie Village and old Leawood inside 435
That's good to know, and I appreciate the advice. I have a short list of maybe eight or ten regions for potential relocation, and Kansas City has a lot of points in its favor. The proximity to Omaha, Lincoln, St. Louis and Tulsa is important. Being in a reasonably conservative state is important. Proximity to a quality music (classical and folk) and arts scene is important. Low crime, a sense of place, and a walkable neighborhood with amenities are also important. The more I learn about Westwood and JOCO, the more I like - despite the negative elements you mention, which I think will develop character over time.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:28 AM

7,041 posts, read 5,069,831 times
Quote:

Well, it's just one measure but I believe an important one, but I would note that Kansas has a low unemployment rate of 5.4%, which is the 10th lowest:

Unemployment Rates for States

You could move to one of those progressive states like Illinois run by democrats pushing 9% unemployment (good for 45th) and that has been downgraded, which will cost its citizens more to borrow to pay for public projects:

Illinois’ credit rating downgraded; state drops to worst in the nation | WGN-TV

I wonder if those backwards republicans running Kansas know something?

Old 01-28-2013, 09:46 AM

1,202 posts, read 1,606,959 times
A low unemployment rate isn't particularly a great scenario when most of the jobs do not pay a living wage or offer benefits. Not saying that's the case in Kansas, but you can't judge the economic viability solely on that.

And looking at that list, Vermont has a lower unemployment rate than Kansas. Vermont is probably one of the most liberal states in the country, if not the most liberal. I still wouldn't want to live there because, overall, the economy sucks and the only jobs to be had are minimum wage.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:32 PM

889 posts, read 1,428,099 times
Back to the original topic:

Omaha = more snow in winter, more pleasant summer
Kansas City = more pleasant winter, more oppressive summer

Here in KC, we're in that gray area between Mississippi River valley humidity and semi-arid high plains. It's not as humid as the southern U.S., but not as dry either. And yes, we have our share of 100-degree days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or