U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 04:16 PM

4,255 posts, read 4,560,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioSilence View Post
Back to the original topic:

Omaha = more snow in winter, more pleasant summer
Kansas City = more pleasant winter, more oppressive summer

Here in KC, we're in that gray area between Mississippi River valley humidity and semi-arid high plains. It's not as humid as the southern U.S., but not as dry either. And yes, we have our share of 100-degree days.
Much obliged.

Which in your opinion is more tolerable, Omaha's winters or KC's summers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 04:44 PM

889 posts, read 1,433,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Much obliged.

Which in your opinion is more tolerable, Omaha's winters or KC's summers?
Having lived in Minneapolis, Snow-maha's winters are probably a piece of cake to me. However, I'm much more tolerant of hot weather than cold weather. Kansas City summers don't bother me at all.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:49 PM

4,255 posts, read 4,560,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioSilence View Post
Having lived in Minneapolis, Snow-maha's winters are probably a piece of cake to me. However, I'm much more tolerant of hot weather than cold weather. Kansas City summers don't bother me at all.
We're in the same boat. KC sounds like a pretty good compromise between the extremes of the larger region.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:33 PM

20,214 posts, read 34,575,541 times
Omaha has a better climate than Kansas City, although the disadvantage is that winds in Omaha are a bit stronger overall. Unless you really enjoy very hot and humid weather, Omaha has more tolerable temperatures during the milder seasons from Spring to Fall. I consider 40F with little wind to be "mild" for reference.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:34 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,193,266 times
That part of the country is heavily influenced by the Gulf of Mexico where much of the humidity comes from. The SSE winds which bring up the very humid subtropical air make it so the nights don't cool off, meaning you have to run the air conditioner 24 hours a day.
Cool fronts seem to be able to reach Omaha with a little bit of Canadian air in the summer to provide occasional relief, but by the time they reach KC, those cool fronts seem to lose all their power or quickly recede.
Sometimes the humidity goes down, but is usually when the winds switch to the SW and blast furnace air from the desert southwest comes up.
The winters are a tad milder than Omaha though.
As Granitestater posted earlier the weather overall is not good. There is no way of getting around a continental climate, especially when you are in the middle of that continent and there is flat land for hundreds of miles in every direction, so you don't even get much relief from any microclimates.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:10 PM

220 posts, read 360,626 times
Sometimes it's 75 degrees in January, and then the next day you'll drive to work in nice 50 degree weather with tornado warnings, then it will start to rain and cool off with ice and snow in the evening / nighttime forecast.

Stupid is the only way to properly describe it.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:52 PM

20,214 posts, read 34,575,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc chris View Post
Sometimes it's 75 degrees in January, and then the next day you'll drive to work in nice 50 degree weather with tornado warnings, then it will start to rain and cool off with ice and snow in the evening / nighttime forecast.

Stupid is the only way to properly describe it.
It is similar in WI this week as well. Today the high was 54F, a record, and Thursday night the low will be -10F. Fun times dealing with a 65F temperature swing in a matter of days.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:11 PM

12,633 posts, read 14,657,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Understood, but the end result is the same, is it not? An alternative heat source would be needed. What does Kansas City do when it loses power in a cold snap?

I still remember the statewide "rolling blackouts" here in CA back in the early 2000s. It happens.

Also, natural gas may become cost prohibitive at some point, at least intermittently. That kind of thing should be anticipated.
In the last 26 years I have only lost power twice for long enough to matter, and both of those times were ice storms. Actually, one was in October and it was warm enough after the storm that staying warm wasn't an issue. The other was in January and was cold. We have gas heat with electric start. But we have a gas insert fireplace that actually does put out heat (some don't) and we can use it without electric start, so we used that for heat.

Pellet stoves and wood stoves are not that uncommon in Kansas City. There are businesses in Kansas City that specifically sell wood and pellet stoves and gas inserts. People started buying a lot of them when gas went up a few years ago.

Last winter in Kansas City was unseasonably warm. We hardly got any snow. The year before that, we got a lot of snow. yesterday it was 75. Today it's raining and in the 30s. Tomorrow it's supposed to snow.

Usually it stays pretty warm up until the end of October. We usually have Indian summers that stretch into October and we have warm days into the 70s and sometimes even 80 in October.

It is humid in the summer, especially July and August. Once the humidity is gone in September, the weather is wonderful. I like heat personally, so the summers don't bother me. In the summer when it's really hot during the day, the nights are really nice (to me).

Old 01-30-2013, 09:29 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,170,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Summers are more like in the deep south: humid and hot, very hot. 100 degrees in the day and 80 degrees at night are common.
I've been to Mississippi and Florida and I can tell you that the summers in Kansas City are not nearly as bad. Humidity in the South is typically around 75%-80% whereas in Kansas City it's more like 40%-50%. I know it doesnt look like a big difference on paper but trust me when I say that the humidity in the South is far worse than it is in the Midwest. 100 degree temperatures in Kansas City are rare and intermittent although I know last summer was pretty miserable and several records were set. I thought Kansas City summers were quite pleasant but then again I grew up in Phoenix where summers are absolutely horrible and night time temperatures can exceed 100 degrees.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:48 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,156,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Omaha has a better climate than Kansas City, although the disadvantage is that winds in Omaha are a bit stronger overall. Unless you really enjoy very hot and humid weather, Omaha has more tolerable temperatures during the milder seasons from Spring to Fall. I consider 40F with little wind to be "mild" for reference.
Average temperatures for Omaha are about 5 degrees F cooler than KC across the board (winter/summer, high/low). Precipitation/humidity are nearly identical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or