U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 01:54 PM

4,255 posts, read 4,558,900 times

Advertisements

How does Kansas City area weather compare with Omaha-Lincoln?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 02:03 PM

6,286 posts, read 6,126,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Very similar.
But summers are hotter.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Very similar.
But summers are hotter.
How about the winters? And the summer humidity?

Old 01-25-2013, 02:13 PM

The winters are somehow milder in KC than in Omaha. However it is still the Midwest, so occasionally it gets single digit degrees. Two years ago it reached -10.

Summers are more like in the deep south: humid and hot, very hot. 100 degrees in the day and 80 degrees at night are common.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:19 PM

Thanks, Bettafish.

Also - any idea how long their respective growing seasons are?

Old 01-25-2013, 02:26 PM

I'm not an expert but usually frost occurs in late October and ends in early April.
It warms up fast in March though.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:50 PM

14,174 posts, read 22,539,481 times
They're very similar climates, but Omaha is just a big colder overall and I would imagine a bit shorter growing season. They're both going to be humid and hot in Summer.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:08 PM

20,199 posts, read 34,559,931 times
Quote:
Both have horrible climates. If you really dislike heat and humidity you will hate the climate of Kansas City. Summers are HORRIBLE. Highs are commonly in the 90s and over 100F these days with lows in the 70s and even above 80F. Winters are usually very dry and windy with ugly brown grass to look at the vast majority of the time. To get a decent climate in the Midwest with more reliable precipitation I would look into eastern areas of Iowa.
Politics: You seem to have an obsession with the topic. Kansas City is not too conservative. Rural Kansas is scary far right conservative.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Both have horrible climates. If you really dislike heat and humidity you will hate the climate of Kansas City. Summers are HORRIBLE. Highs are commonly in the 90s and over 100F these days with lows in the 70s and even above 80F. Winters are usually very dry and windy with ugly brown grass to look at the vast majority of the time. To get a decent climate in the Midwest with more reliable precipitation I would look into eastern areas of Iowa.
Very helpful. The heat doesn't bother me; the humidity could take some getting used to. But I think the real challenge for a valley-dwelling Californian would be severe winters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Politics: You seem to have an obsession with the topic. Kansas City is not too conservative. Rural Kansas is scary far right conservative.
I have an obsession with politics? OK.

Johnson County is conservative enough to be tolerable. Don't know what you mean by "scary far right" ... are we talking the KKK here? Is rural Kansas overrun with Fred Phelps clones? Or just people who disagree with you?

Old 01-25-2013, 08:02 PM

20,199 posts, read 34,559,931 times
Quote:
Very helpful. The heat doesn't bother me; the humidity could take some getting used to. But I think the real challenge for a valley-dwelling Californian would be severe winters.

I have an obsession with politics? OK.

Johnson County is conservative enough to be tolerable. Don't know what you mean by "scary far right" ... are we talking the KKK here? Is rural Kansas overrun with Fred Phelps clones? Or just people who disagree with you?
I'm talking about far right social conservatives that even permeate the culture of cities like Wichita. Johnson County, KS is highly educated so it votes more fiscally conservative with "social issues" not playing the all important role like the rest of the state. Also, the Kansas Republicans are generally an easy target of hypocrisy because they vote against Hurricane Sandy relief efforts and then run to the Federal Government demanding drought relief dollars to flow into the state. Kansas Neoconservative Republicans also make sure to vote for a high level of spending to prop up Ft. Riley as well. Kansas Republicans are also very intent on social engineering and they are trying out their "cut every single tax down to the bone" scheme while the state still ends up with a budget shortfall and underfunded schools. Johnson County, KS does just fine economically with a high number of jobs and solid schools. It is a (CROWDED suburban county not unlike parts of California) while the rest of the state is stagnant and declining outside of the college towns of Lawrence and Manhattan (and the ancillary Ft. Riley military reservation).
Winters: make sure you have a high output humidifer as all heat in any housing is forced hot air natural gas. Even with a GOOD humidifer the indoor relative humidity will plummet well below 20% and often below 10%. This occurs more frequently when outside air temperatures are cold and furnace runs more frequently. Also, keep a large supply of hand moisturizers as skin dries out very fast due to dry air in winter and wind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or