U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 01:11 PM

10,157 posts, read 9,922,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
White/middle-class flight left the area in its current state. If there were a demand for more shopping, it would be there. IHOP didn't ruin shopping in Grandview. IHOP is only able to use old retail space because there's no demand for retail in that space and thus it was available.
So you are saying the the whites left and the blacks don't buy anything? How can anyone buy anything at a store that is not there? These IHOP people are close to being a cult. They are taking over the Grandview AREA,BIRCHWOOD SHOPPING CENTER IS CLOSED BECAUSE OF THEM AND TERRACE LAKE SHOPPING center is all IHOP people(sorry for the caps)THE SHOPPING CENTER AT MAIN ST AND THE EAST SERVICE ROAD IS TAKEN OVER BY THEM.The former Main Street Inn is now an IHOP office. Sure some of the buildings were vacant. So are many other areas have vacant buildings(consider the economics of our times). When you have a religious group come in and buy the whole darn place and then turn it into their churchy place then there are no locations for businesses.
The next post after yours refers to them starting to take over some apartment complexes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 01:19 PM

220 posts, read 360,236 times
The area was getting pretty bad, I'd rather have the religious nuts there instead of having it turn completely into another Bannister area. How many businesses there did IHOP ruin?

I just checked the ihopkc website and one of the main articles linked is "How to Recognize Cults".

Old 02-01-2013, 01:40 PM

10,157 posts, read 9,922,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc chris View Post
The area was getting pretty bad, I'd rather have the religious nuts there instead of having it turn completely into another Bannister area. How many businesses there did IHOP ruin?

I just checked the ihopkc website and one of the main articles linked is "How to Recognize Cults".
They had a splinter group meeting on the sly and having some group sex and a female got murdered. I think IHOP was totally unaware e of this. I think that is why they posted that.
Don't believe me at all . Come see for your self!

Old 02-01-2013, 01:54 PM

14,174 posts, read 22,531,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
They had a splinter group meeting on the sly and having some group sex and a female got murdered. I think IHOP was totally unaware e of this. I think that is why they posted that.
Don't believe me at all . Come see for your self!
I doubt if any cult thinks it's a cult! But if people in my family go there, rest assured, it's a nutty organization.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:08 PM

10,707 posts, read 18,536,846 times
I am no fan of these giant churches (or religion in general) but any church can be cultish. I think church/religion is what you make of it and how far you take things.

Personally, I think Grandview has simply gotten a bad rap over the years. Like Raytown, Grandview has taken on the image of having a crime problem because of its proximity to South KC’s actual crime infested areas. Most people in metro KC don’t know where Hickman Mills, SKC, EKC, Ruskin etc end and Raytown, Grandview etc pick up and they are all grouped together.

This has caused white flight and people to avoid investing or even patronizing Grandview businesses due this perception of crime. This perception over time actually causes businesses to close and demographics to change and crime to increase even if the problems barely actually existed in the first place.

Raytown seems to be bouncing back from this image problem to some degree and now maybe Grandview can do the same. I’m not stupid, I know what IHOP is (my earlier post was just for fun) and honestly I think they have probably done more good than bad for Grandview. They are stabilizing declining areas of the city and bringing new people to the area.

I heard Truman Corners is getting a makeover. I really hope they can do the same there as they did with the Blue Ridge Mall site. It’s really REALLY sad that suburbs 20 miles from downtown are labeled as ghetto and are left to rot while places like Raymore boom (only to follow the same course in 25 years). That has got to stop in metro KC.

Grandview has a lot of potential. It’s near a lot of assets such as Longview Lake, Martin City area, the emerging industrial areas around the old air force base and now it has an actual interstate running through it. Plus the state infrastructure in that area has been rebuilt (grandview triangle, I-49, MO-150, new interchanges etc), I hope the city can bounce back and become a more respected suburb again.

South KCMO itself is a lost cause. KCMO just has too much on its plate such as funding the entire area's cultural assets and fending off JoCo from poaching all of their companies while also rebuilding its urban core and taking care of its baby (the northland) to even worry about SKC. Plus, with suburban corporate welfare is out of control in metro KC, there is pretty much no chance of major redevelopment happening at the old bannister mall area etc. Retailers will choose the tif projects in the suburbs over an infill brownfield location with baggage every day of the week.

Having said that, the north/south linear portion of SKC west of Holmes and east of State line from the plaza the way to martin city has some very nice areas (both affluent and modest).

Last edited by kcmo; 02-01-2013 at 04:50 PM..

Old 02-01-2013, 06:29 PM

3,629 posts, read 6,781,836 times
I contend a lot of Grandview's decline started when Richards-Gebaur closed. Apartments were vacant, rents were lowered, and then they were filled by low-rent people looking for low-rent apartments.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:56 PM

10,707 posts, read 18,536,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
I contend a lot of Grandview's decline started when Richards-Gebaur closed. Apartments were vacant, rents were lowered, and then they were filled by low-rent people looking for low-rent apartments.
I donít know that the impact was widespread and I think it impacted Belton way more than Grandview and Belton is bouncing back to some degree.

Regardless, the GSA plant going up out there will more than replace the economic loss of the AFB. You are talking about 2000 very high paying jobs. I know a couple of people that work there and they are looking to move to the south MO suburbs once the new plant opens. It would be nice if Grandview was more of an option, but Iím sure most will choose Cass County.

Having said that, I actually think closing the airport was a terrible idea and a corporate giveaway. After the AFB closed, the city should have kept the airport open as a general aviation airport. They could have still developed the area around it as they are now, only they would have an air cargo component and a 10,000 runway for cargo planes to compliment it. Instead, the closed the airport and basically used did nothing more than build some RR track on the runway and use it to offload trains. Itís a very small intermodal facility that will never compete with the one going up in Gardner. Total waste and I have said that from the day it was first proposed. Itís nearly impossible to build new airports now, especially in metro areas.

I hope Grandview bounces back. One thing that will help them would be if KCMO de-annexed the land to their south and southeast and let Grandview or Leeís Summit have that land. That land will never develop so long as itís KCMO even now after they have widened MO-150 all the way to 291. Give Grandview some new land with a fresh start in proximity to Leeís Summit and Raymore and at least the area can see some infill development rather than watch it all go further south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or