U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 03:26 AM

27 posts, read 46,730 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I lived in the NKC a few years ago, I remember that the saying about KC was north of the river and stay away from south. Is this still the case? I am not talking about the city but the outskirts itself where many single family homes are?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 07:40 AM

220 posts, read 359,292 times
The outskirts of south KC are nice areas usually. Avoid Grandview and the areas immediately surrounding it, but straight down Holmes/Wornell/Stateline towards Martin City are fine. Anything along the south side of 435 or south of it are great areas. Going north from there you're running into Waldo and Brookside which are also good areas. I'm not sure you can go wrong with South KC.

On the Kansas Side you're looking at the best areas in the entire region...

Old 01-31-2013, 07:49 AM

10,157 posts, read 9,905,560 times
West of Grandview on Blue Ridge at about Prospect is no problem overall. Grandview is a baddy and the I HOP church cult has pretty much ruined a lot of the shopping areas other than TRUMAN CORNERS. Stay out of Ruskin Heights or the whole area along Blue Ridge. The old west part of Grandview is getting quite a few Hispanics. As for trouble i have no idea.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:56 AM

3,572 posts, read 6,197,067 times
Despite Chris's comment, I think you can absolutely go wrong with 'South Kansas City'.

The eastern 2/3rd's to 3/4th's (east of Holmes or the Blue River) of South Kansas City is suburban ghetto and widely recognized as such, including the Bannister, Ruskin Heights and Hickman Mills areas, and even the suburban city of Grandview. I'm sure information can be found via Google on the reputation and story of the Bannister and Ruskin Height's areas and Hickman Mill's School District, which will support what I am saying here.

A narrow sliver of South Kansas City (west of Holmes and south to Martin City) is nice and even has many upscale subdivisions (it's more upscale the closer you get to State Line, sort of piggybacking off Leawood, KS, the area's most upscale suburb). While this western sliver of South Kansas City is fairly upscale, the school districts (Grandview to the south, Center to the north) are below average and of the struggling variety. However, the area is litered with some of KC's best private schools. I believe that most of the middle class in the area send their kids to private school.

The real estate in the western sliver (good side) of SKC is older suburban (shady, tree-lined streets), fairly upscale, attractive, is generally a bargain, and is very close to everything Johnson County, KS has to offer as well as the Martin City, MO restaurant district. So the area is great if you don't have kids or can afford private school.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:44 AM

14,174 posts, read 22,496,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
West of Grandview on Blue Ridge at about Prospect is no problem overall. Grandview is a baddy and the I HOP church cult has pretty much ruined a lot of the shopping areas other than TRUMAN CORNERS. Stay out of Ruskin Heights or the whole area along Blue Ridge. The old west part of Grandview is getting quite a few Hispanics. As for trouble i have no idea.
OK, I had to research "IHOP" because I've heard of family members who go there. Gawd, is all of my family involved in mindless cults and following religious nuts? They followed Jerry Johnston all the way to the edge of the cliff

No wonder I have little to nothing do do with my family.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:41 PM

Any city or town needs places to shop.Without them a city dies or doesn't thrive IHOP has purchased almost all the smaller shopping centers and strip malls etc and now they have converted the old Main St INN and made it into there offices as well. A friend had a small store at Birchwood Shopping CENTER AND IHOP PEOPLE KEPT COMING IN THE STORE AND PREACHING TO HIS CUSTOMERS AND A FEW EVEN HAD SOME TYPE RELIGIOUS EXPERIENCE AND LAID ON THE FLOORS. (sorry for those caps). He sold out at a loss because they ruined his business.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:30 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,493,517 times
What the hell is IHOP? I like pancakes!

Old 01-31-2013, 02:52 PM

International House of Prayer. They don't sell pancakes. Someone gave me a rep point complaint saying the BLACKS ruined the shopping in GV. You can't ruin something that isn't there. A business is just a business no matter what color the customers are.When there are no business buildings to rent OR buy then you look to see who has taken that away and the winner is IHOP

Old 01-31-2013, 03:49 PM

3,572 posts, read 6,197,067 times
Quote:
International House of Prayer. They don't sell pancakes. Someone gave me a rep point complaint saying the BLACKS ruined the shopping in GV. You can't ruin something that isn't there. A business is just a business no matter what color the customers are.When there are no business buildings to rent OR buy then you look to see who has taken that away and the winner is IHOP
White/middle-class flight left the area in its current state. If there were a demand for more shopping, it would be there. IHOP didn't ruin shopping in Grandview. IHOP is only able to use old retail space because there's no demand for retail in that space and thus it was available.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:27 PM

14,174 posts, read 22,496,291 times
Quote:
Any city or town needs places to shop.Without them a city dies or doesn't thrive IHOP has purchased almost all the smaller shopping centers and strip malls etc and now they have converted the old Main St INN and made it into there offices as well. A friend had a small store at Birchwood Shopping CENTER AND IHOP PEOPLE KEPT COMING IN THE STORE AND PREACHING TO HIS CUSTOMERS AND A FEW EVEN HAD SOME TYPE RELIGIOUS EXPERIENCE AND LAID ON THE FLOORS. (sorry for those caps). He sold out at a loss because they ruined his business.
From what I read, there are entire apartment complexes in the area filled with IHOP members. They definitely sound cultish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or