Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2013, 06:05 AM

27 posts, read 57,984 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am trying to find out how back is traffic now a days to overland park corporate woods from the main areas such as coming from olathe, from parkville, kcmo area/liberty, lees summit.

I am moving back to the area and would like an update on how bad rush hour is now.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 08:07 AM

14 posts, read 30,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sommerfugl01 View Post
Hi,

I am trying to find out how back is traffic now a days to overland park corporate woods from the main areas such as coming from olathe, from parkville, kcmo area/liberty, lees summit.

I am moving back to the area and would like an update on how bad rush hour is now.

Thanks
Those are all very different places from very different directions towards overland park. I'm from Parkville area (northland) and travel into the city all the time. Here is a safe bet: anytime you are going into the city, it will be busy around 6:30-9:00 am. Certain routes are known for having less congestion, but you have to find a way to cross one of a few bridges to get past the river into downtown. Anytime you are leaving the city (to Overland Park, Less Summit, north of the river- ie, Parkville, Liberty, etc) it will only really be busy from 3:30-5:30.

That being said, remember that a lot of people live in the suburbs and commute into work. If you're considering living in the OP and working in the city, you some bad congestion because a lot of people are doing the same thing as you. Where will your work be located?

**also- I'm not as familiar with Kansas and as I am the Missouri side, but there will be a few highways that are extremely congested, but other routes you can take that may have a bit more mileage, but less cars.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:16 AM

I will mainly telecommute but just to avoid headaches going into overland park corporate woods when i decide to go to the office, not to the city itself.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:57 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,776,123 times
It will be partly a reverse commute from Parkville, about 30min. From Lee's Summit, it will not be reverse commute but a bit closer so about the same time depending on traffic through The Triangle. Liberty will be a little more than 40min.

Check Google directions for timing..
Parkville, MO to Corporate Woods, Overland Park, KS - Google Maps

Old 01-30-2013, 11:57 AM

6,771 posts, read 11,399,414 times
Assuming you will be using interstate highways, factor in also how far you are from the interstate. If you lived in southern/eastern Lee's Summit, you'd have a bit of a haul going on city streets before you hit the interstate, which might add 10 minutes or more to your commute.

And just as I'm writing this, I remember I used to work at College and Lamar with a woman who lived in the Raintree Lake (southern) area of Lee's Summit and she always took Highway 150 to work and swore it was much, much better than messing with 470/435.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:50 AM

Thank you xenokc and Okey Dokie, I will keep that in mind when looking for a place.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:56 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,698,601 times
KC is one of the few places in the country that is actually building its way out of congestion. 435, 69 etc on the Kansas Side looks like it could be in Houston or out here in DC where there is four times the traffic. once they get all that done, I don't see people even having to tap their brakes during rush hour. 2-3 minutes delay at most like most the rest of KC. I'm pretty sure the new bond bridge has completely eliminated the MO river backups. KC has so many highways that you can be anywhere in the metro at any time of day in under 40 minutes and most actual commutes would be much less than that. You might tap the brakes at 35 and 75th, I-70 and Noland, 470 and Blue Ridge. Unless there is a crash or major construction, there is no congestion in metro KC and the surface streets are even less congested than the highways.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:21 PM

6,771 posts, read 11,399,414 times
kcmo - Off topic but one of my prouder achievements in life is navigating Mr. Dokie and myself from the northern part of DC all the way down to Springfield, VA via the Beltway. During afternoon rush hour. And lived to tell about it. And we're still married.

That DC traffic is pretty brutal.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:01 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,698,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
kcmo - Off topic but one of my prouder achievements in life is navigating Mr. Dokie and myself from the northern part of DC all the way down to Springfield, VA via the Beltway. During afternoon rush hour. And lived to tell about it. And we're still married.

That DC traffic is pretty brutal.
On the beltway every day. Brutal is an understatement. They did open the new HOT lanes on the VA side. So far they are working. So if you ever come back out, borrow an eazypass pay your way around the congestion

BTW, the absolute deadest times on the beltway, like at midnight is about as busy as 435 is during rush hour (same amount of lanes). I kid you not and people drive either 70-80 (SL is 55mph) or it’s less than ten. No brake tapping, I’m talking it takes 30 minutes to drive from one exit to the next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City