U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 10:39 AM

11 posts, read 7,098 times

Advertisements

My hubby got a job offer in Kansas City. I am freaking out. I have never been there but just not sure it has what I am looking for. Basicially I hear it's nice but very vanilla and not much to do. I also know I do not like flat land. Please help with insight. I have 2 boys and I hear it's nice for families but I am so afraid of being bored to tears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 11:30 AM

447 posts, read 766,428 times
Kansas City straddles the state line, with the majority of the urban environment in Missouri (downtown, sporting and even venues). You may want to post this in the Missouri forum under Kansas City.

FYI - The city is not flat, rather gently rolling. It is an urban area of about 2million, with a very nice urban area stretching from downtown to the plaza. I think you will be surprised!

Old 02-01-2013, 11:32 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,149,330 times
Where are you potentially coming from? A lot of people with no experience of the midwest are pleasantly surprised at how cosmopolitan KC is, especially in its urban core. Very comparable to most of the mid-sized/large cities of the midwest (most of which also pleasantly surprise outsiders).

It's not particularly flat, but gentle rolling hills (and a couple very modest "mountain" chains) are pretty much the only landscape you'll see between Appalachia and the high plains.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:35 AM

Well we have lived all over. Originally from Ohio but currently in GA. Ohio is so flat to me so I don't miss that. I don't particulairly love Georgia (especially the humidity) but I love the proximity to mountains and we can be at the beach in a matter of hours.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:56 PM

447 posts, read 766,428 times
Western MO / Eastern Kansas won't be too much different from Ohio. Most of the higher hills are around the rivers (bluffs). There are fewer trees in Western MO / Eastern KS.

The city - in particular the urban core is very cosmopolitan, and while not as college atmosphere ish, is comparable to Columbus OH (again, no big OSU campus though). UMKC is present, but not as large. KU or MU are more likely the big campuses, and vary from about and hour to 2 hours away - all depending on where you live in the metro area.

Do you know where in the metro area your opportunity is located?

Water recreation is typically found at the man made (large) Missouri Lakes - like Lake of the Ozarks. While not the Appilachians, the Ozarks are in southern Missouri, and offer recreational opportunities.

I am not as familiar with the KS side. But I am sure there are others who can chime in.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:07 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,088,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2twinboyz View Post
Well we have lived all over. Originally from Ohio but currently in GA. Ohio is so flat to me so I don't miss that. I don't particulairly love Georgia (especially the humidity) but I love the proximity to mountains and we can be at the beach in a matter of hours.
KC will be very similar to Ohio, especially the larger cities. If you like Ohio, you should be OK. If not, it might be time to reconsider the move.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:46 PM

thanks
Sco- I am not particularly fond of Ohio becuase of the flatness/lack of culture etc. that is what I am afraid of.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:41 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,516,721 times
Honest to god truth. I think KC has at least as much to do as Atlanta does when it comes to culture and general attractions. There is no more culture in GA than there is in large metros of OH or KC. There is however more outdoors stuff as you are closer to both mountains and the ocean, but if you are anything like me, being a 9 hour drive to central Colorado for a couple of trips a year makes up for it because I miss the mountians. There are no mountains east of Denver if you as me.

Since you posted this in the Kansas forum rather than the Missouri forum, I’m going to assume, you know absolutely nothing about KC which you alluded to, but it seems like you have already made your decision about the city.

KC is very similar in size and feel the larger cities in OH (Cincy, Cleveland, Columbus). If you can’t find things to do in a city of 2.1 million people, then I may not be able to help you. But just know that KC acts like a city of closer to 3 million with the attractions, performing arts, sports, concerts, amusement parks etc. Central Missouri is loaded with outdoors stuff like kayaking, hiking, boating etc and then you have another major metro just 3 hours away with its own impressive list of amenities (St Louis).

I love urban Atlanta, but most of metro Atlanta is sprawl and that sprawl is really about the only difference between Atlanta and most mid sized cities in the Midwest. I mean how many times can you go to Coke or the GA Aquarium?

Good luck!

Old 02-01-2013, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Honest to god truth. I think KC has at least as much to do as Atlanta does when it comes to culture and general attractions. There is no more culture in GA than there is in large metros of OH or KC. There is however more outdoors stuff as you are closer to both mountains and the ocean, but if you are anything like me, being a 9 hour drive to central Colorado for a couple of trips a year makes up for it because I miss the mountians. There are no mountains east of Denver if you as me.

Since you posted this in the Kansas forum rather than the Missouri forum, Iím going to assume, you know absolutely nothing about KC which you alluded to, but it seems like you have already made your decision about the city.

KC is very similar in size and feel the larger cities in OH (Cincy, Cleveland, Columbus). If you canít find things to do in a city of 2.1 million people, then I may not be able to help you. But just know that KC acts like a city of closer to 3 million with the attractions, performing arts, sports, concerts, amusement parks etc. Central Missouri is loaded with outdoors stuff like kayaking, hiking, boating etc and then you have another major metro just 3 hours away with its own impressive list of amenities (St Louis).

I love urban Atlanta, but most of metro Atlanta is sprawl and that sprawl is really about the only difference between Atlanta and most mid sized cities in the Midwest. I mean how many times can you go to Coke or the GA Aquarium?

Good luck!
Thanks! No we would probably be on the KS side (Overland park) I agree there is only so many things to do in ATL as well. I guess Colorado isn't too far for the mountains. I am going to miss beaches. :-(

Old 02-01-2013, 11:07 PM

3,629 posts, read 6,772,021 times
Might I suggest you concentrate on what good things you find in Kansas City rather than what you consider it is lacking. It will make your relocation much, much easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or