U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2013, 01:25 PM

49 posts, read 75,523 times

Advertisements

Relocating for a job in Merriam, KS....we have 3 kids, all involved with sports (especially select soccer and gymnastics)...schools are very important. We'll probably rent a house this time, we have had such issues with selling houses that it seems easier this time around. Our rental budget? Up to $2k a month? More? I guess it wouldn't be ideal to cross the border and live in Missouri, tax issues? But we're looking for classic cookie cutter suburbs, with the kids and the dog. I've heard about Blue Valley and Olathe schools.

I guess I should add that we aren't religious and we aren't conservative, but we are coming from an area that is extremely both of those so it isn't like we aren't used to it.

Last edited by kmoore8; 02-01-2013 at 02:13 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 01:52 PM

Replying to myself, sorry...Read this quote from a poster here in 2008. True?

"They teach science not religion in public schools. I would never send my kids to public schools in Kansas for that reason alone. The state is simply far too conservative."

Old 02-01-2013, 02:50 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,493,517 times
If working in Kansas, I would just live there. Check out western Shawnee or Lenexa (Shawnee Mission Schools or DeSoto Schools). Great schools and nice suburban areas and with nice suburban areas you will have plenty of sports leagues (comp and rec) to choose from. Parts of Olathe or Merriam /NE JoCo might have some issues, but those areas will have some good schools too. Sounds like you want newer suburban so west would be better.

Kansas went through some high profile religion in public schools issues, but I don't think they actually teach anything different than any other public schools would. I would say the suburbs in both MO and KS are equally conservative (but nothing like the rural areas of either state) and Jeff City and Topeka are equally insane . The urban core of KCMO is really the only liberal part of the metro outside of parts of KCK and Lawrence, KS.

If you want to look at the MO side for comps in prices and to see if you might like the differences (typically topography and slightly lower cost for similar home is about the only difference), I would look in the Parkville area of Platte County which would be about a 20 minute drive to Merriam.

Last edited by kcmo; 02-01-2013 at 03:24 PM..

Old 02-01-2013, 03:03 PM

Thanks for the response.

"Parts of Olathe are Merriam /NE JoCo might have some issues,"

Not such great neighborhoods?

We're really trying to cut down on the driving time this time around. Would the 20 minute drive from Parkville include traffic?

"Sounds like you want newer suburban so west would be better."

What would be driving time, generally, for "west"?

Old 02-01-2013, 03:35 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,493,517 times
"Not such great neighborhoods?"

Parts. Olathe is a very large suburb and it has some questionable areas. You just need to do some research on specific areas once you find homes you might like.

Same with Northeast JoCo (Merriam, Roeland Park, Mission etc). That's a large, built up area and it's older, so things can vary within blocks. Newer suburban areas are more predictable because they have not developed the diverse demographics and other social changes that affect older areas.

"We're really trying to cut down on the driving time this time around. Would the 20 minute drive from Parkville include traffic?"

Anything in Merriam is 30 seconds of I-35 and Parkville is pretty much a 20-25 minute drive up uncongested 635. I wouldn’t look at any other MO suburbs though like Lee’s Summit or Liberty. Those areas will not be nice commutes. I just mentioned Parkville (all of southern platte county) as an option to compare to the KS suburbs. There are differences.

"Sounds like you want newer suburban so west would be better.
What would be driving time, generally, for "west"?"

Probably 15-30 minutes, you can go as far west as you want! You may be using more surface streets though and with that you get traffic signal delays. So less miles doesn’t always mean less time. JoCo is developing far west of K7, so you can still get over 30 minutes away although you could find something 10 minutes away too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City