U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2013, 08:07 PM

3 posts, read 3,027 times

Advertisements

Its not positive yet but it looks like we might be moving from Huntley IL ( suburb 45 min north of Chicago) to Kansas City. My husband would be working for the KCS railroad. We have three children that are 5, 6, and 8. I am looking for a family friendly area not too far from the KCS. Currently my husband commutes 1.5 hr each way to and from work by train and is looking to commute not futher than a half hour especially since it will be by car. I am looking for a nice suburb with young families and good schools. We currently live in a subdivision with the "cookie cutter" houses so I dont mind that at all. I am not sure if I should be looking in the Kansas side or the MO side? I am also open to a good Catholic school but would like a good public school also. I just want an area with lots of kids, nice and friendly neighbors. We have never lived outside of IL and Im a bit nervous about moivng away from family and close friends but excited to start a new chapter. Oh and my husband and I are in our early 30's if that is important. Thanks in advance. Oh and we will most likely be renting at first to make sure we pick the right area. We can afford between 1700-2000 a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 09:57 PM

3,629 posts, read 6,776,505 times
If your husband will be working down in the "East Bottoms" - vicinity of Front Street and Chouteau (which is where I believe most of KC Southern action is), I would suggest living north of the Missouri River in Clay or Platte County. Liberty and Park Hill are the better school districts, although North Kansas City is not bad. If you will read some recent threads on here from people who were looking to relocate for Mars Candy and/or Nutria Dog Food, their work location is very close to where I think your husband will be working.

His commute will be 20 - 25 minutes max. He will think he died and went to heaven.

If his work location is somewhere else, let us know where and we'll all chime in on our favorite areas.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:00 PM

890 posts, read 1,430,872 times
I might also add the corporate HQ is downtown, around 12th and Broadway, so if your husband is working out of that office instead of the railroad itself, you'll have a variety of options within a 20 to 30-minute drive.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:43 PM

He will be working out of corporate

Old 02-18-2013, 08:45 PM

3,629 posts, read 6,776,505 times
I'll still recommend Clay or Platte County. Johnson County in Kansas is the ultimate cookie-cutter suburban area, but the areas there that are closer to downtown have an older demographic, and the newer areas with tons of young families would involve a greater than 30 minute commute.

If your husband is going to work in Missouri, you might as well live in Missouri, to avoid paying taxes to Kansas and Missouri. There are plenty of newer, family friendly areas north of the river. It actually is the fastest growing area in metro KC.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:27 PM

677 posts, read 1,147,824 times
Since you did mention Catholic Schools, you may be interested in the Brookside neighborhood. It is home to some of the top Catholic schools and it is probably the highest percentage Catholic neighborhood in the city. It also has an easy commute to Downtown.

However, it is definitely not cookie-cutter, so if you are looking for new construction, it wouldn't be for you. If that's what you want, I would second the suggestion of North of the River.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:10 PM

Well we got the job so it looks like we are moving I have never even visited there does anyone know of a realtor we can call about helping us find homes?

Old 02-26-2013, 12:55 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,114,153 times
Check this site and give them a call..

Listing Search Form - Search for Real Estate Properties |
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City