U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2013, 12:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,493 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have been living the past 6+ years in Manhattan (the Big Apple, not the Little Apple) and are looking to move back to KC. We both grew up in Overland Park and are quite familiar with that part of town. However, being young professional urbanites (I'm an architect, she's in fashion), when we move back this is not a neighborhood we want to live in.

My wife is more insistent on moving to a neighborhood with a house and a backyard, so I doubt the Crossroads (area I love) will be where we end up moving, but is there a good neighborhood that has unique, compact housing which is centrally located and close to many services and amenities but is still a safe place to raise a family? I know KCMO schools are garbage, private schools may be an option long term but we would prefer public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 12:51 PM

220 posts, read 359,369 times
Look at Waldo or Brookside. Brookside is more expensive but I'm thinking you'll love the architecture given your background.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:00 AM

1,145 posts, read 1,998,962 times
I think Hyde Park, Coleman Highlands, West Plaza, and the Volker Area are worth looking at

Old 02-19-2013, 10:32 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,145,372 times
Or Westside and even Dutch Hill/Longfellow and Union Hill. You get the benefits of proximity to the Crossroads but still can find a single family house with a yard.

Public school-wise, you have a few good elementary schools in KCMO, and they bus from anywhere in the district: Border Star and Academy Lafayette in Brookside are the conventional "best choices", though many people I personally know are happy with the Foreign Language Academy in Midtown, and at Holliday Montessori on the Southeast side.

You could look in Rosedale in KCK, I have been told you can pay out-of-district tuition to Shawnee Mission schools. You you could look in Westwood, Fairway or Westwood Hills and get great schools, decent access (by car) to the urban core and charming inner ring suburban housing.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:18 PM

677 posts, read 1,145,583 times
I agree with s.davis - there are some good public charter schools in KCMO - so I wouldn't completely rule out public schools, even though the majority of the KCMOSD is, as you say "garbage".

I agree with most of the suggestions. Brookside would be the most family-oriented though not as close to the urban amenities and as heavy on the architect/fashion young professional vibe. The Roanoke and Coleman Highlands neighborhoods seem to be popular destinations for architects, as well as the Westside.

Are you looking to rent at first, or buy right away? Did you have a budget in mind?

Old 02-20-2013, 07:38 AM

1,145 posts, read 1,998,962 times
I forgot about the Westside, that would be a great area, you can just walk to the Crossroads from there, I would stick to Westside North, in the area between 16 and 21st. There are some really cool modern looking houses located at 16th and Jarboe that are worth looking at, some are for sale i believe.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:56 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,109,783 times
Some up and coming off beaten path hoods near downtown are..

Longfellow to SE of Crown Center. Hospital people and artists moving in there and UMKC student housing is in works, some quirky eats like You Say Tomato and Succotash.

West Side up near 17th/Summit just SW of downtown loop. Very old homes mixed with modo modern mixed with immigrant Latino vibe. A few good eats and a mexi-market. Large Latino retail stretch at bottom along SW Blvd. But the bus that goes through Summit hood only runs every 30min.

In Midtown, Coleman Highlands/Volker/Roanoke and Central Hyde Park are above average hoods relative to rest of Midtown.

Brookside, S of Plaza is probably the most refined, established area with the cutesy neighborhood shops vibe, very few chains. Many E Coasters tend to look from Plaza to Brooskide area first.

Also, living along this MAX bus line is something to consider if you don't want to drive for everything. This line runs the most often, hits the major hotspots and also goes through Brookside to Waldo.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1238514/pics/bus/maxmwk.gif
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City