U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-28-2013, 11:43 AM
 
1,830 posts, read 3,109,249 times
Reputation: 532

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geologic View Post
Thanks, X.
That's good to know about the taxis.
Did you sister from Germany find it easy to adjust?
German cities tend to be ahead of US cities in many respects: transport, walkability, solarcells, etc.
She knew what to expect coming back from Europe after 7 years so didn't have high expectations. Bus got her from point A to B where she needed to go and had no complaints. She also used a cab more often than most in KC would (some old ladies in my condo building completely rely on cabs). My brother biked around a lot along with bus. I ride bus often and work/live between Plaza/Downtown. Owning a car is a luxury and convenience to me, not an absolute necessity. If my car needs to go to a shop, I can get to work and get to all things I need. KC is below avg for transit but is still doable w/out a car.

Streetcar coming might help but frankly for those already willing to ride bus, it may not make much difference and hopefully it won't cut bus service to keep it running. Should draw attention to transit timid though. Bike stations are nice too, looking forward to midtown to UMKC area getting them this summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-28-2013, 12:35 PM
 
Location: Hong Kong
1,329 posts, read 822,256 times
Reputation: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
Streetcar coming might help but frankly for those already willing to ride bus, it may not make much difference and hopefully it won't cut bus service to keep it running.
Some may have high expectations for the streetcar


JUDY GARLAND: 'THE TROLLEY SONG'. A CLOSEUP. - YouTube

"Let 'er go, Motorman!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2013, 06:43 PM
 
Location: Hong Kong
1,329 posts, read 822,256 times
Reputation: 217
On April 18, 2012, Chris Leinberger, President of LOCUS, visited Kansas City, MO


Chris Leinberger's lecture on the Option of Urbanism at the Kansas City Public Library. - YouTube!

...to discuss walkable neighborhoods as part of the Kansas City Public Libraries series on What Makes a Great City.

Leinberger noted in particular Kansas City’s Country Club Plaza, a 15-block shopping district with over 150 stores. As he explains in the speech above, Country Club Plaza “was the first regionally significant, walkable urban place built from scratch in this country. And you had to wait over 50 until the next one showed up…And it was just in a whole different specturm, a whole different universe. That was what Country Club Plaza was when it was first built.” By learning from these goals, Leinberger explains, Kansas City can join towns across the country helping their downtowns thrive.
===
/more: http://www.smartgrowthamerica.org/20...ublic-library/

Any Comments on Country Club Plaza?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2013, 08:48 PM
 
Location: Hong Kong
1,329 posts, read 822,256 times
Reputation: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geologic View Post
Any Comments on Country Club Plaza?
Here's an Older property (1920, renovated) that looks rather livable



At least one Apartment inside it, is for sale:

807 W 48th St. /APT 504, Kansas City : $135,000 : On Zillow



Bedrooms: 1 bed
Bathrooms: 1 bath
Condo: 1,100 sq ft : that's $122 per sf.
Year Built: 1920
Last Sold: Apr 2006 for $148,000

- Description
Totally renovated condo, walking distance from Country Club Plaza! Brand new kitchen, ss appliances, marble tile, granite countertops, new cabinets. Updated mechanicals. New bathroom with marble tile and refinished hardwood floors throughout. Original character intact in this 1920's poet building.

(neighborhood): WS-83 / trans.-55 / SS-97
-------------------------
Area Transit, #19 bus?-- : ??? blocks
Coffee, Latteland Expr.-- : 0.11 mi
Cinema, The Palace----- : 0.17 mi
Groceries, Coal Vines--- : 513 ft
Bike rental : relay rides- : 0.33 mi
Park: Jacob L. Loose Pk-: 0.51 mi
KS Public Library------- : 0.53 mi
KC Art Institute-------- : 0.83 mi
Restaurants, Bars : (all w/in 0.2 mi):
JJ's, Ingredient, Barumba, Zocalo, BBS,
Capital Grill, Blanc, Bo Ling's

TRANSPORT connections seem to be the Main issue here

Last edited by Geologic; 03-01-2013 at 09:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2013, 07:06 AM
 
Location: Middle America
35,817 posts, read 39,334,463 times
Reputation: 48613
I live on the Country Club Plaza (and used to live a building over from the one you picture,in another of the "Poet" buildings, a set of 1920s apartment buildings), but in a rental unit, not one that had gone condo). There are plenty of vintage rehabbed buildings, on the Plaza, and newer construction in adjacent areas.

Again, I would really warn you off relying too heavily on the walkscore information...once again, what you posted isn't completely accurate and is somewhat dated.

I don't know the 19 bus, but the 51 bus has a stop very near that building and goes downtown. On the other side of the Plaza are numerous Max stops, the express bus, right along a main arterial. The Plaza is not challenged, in terms of public transit. The Plaza is also one of the more walkable neighborhoods in town.

There are several parks closer than Loose Park, but they are not listed. I don't know what's up with their groceries category, but this is the second time you've posted something that listed some random business as a purveyor of groceries when it's not...Coal Vines is a pizza place, not a grocery store (absence of a truly walkable grocery store is one glaring deficit of the Plaza, IMO...there are several that are easily driveable, but nowhere to run and grab something quickly on foot). Of the restaurants listed, JJ's no longer exists (as of about ten days ago, though, fairly recent development), having burned down in a huge gas explosion that killed one person. Barumba doesn't appear to exist anymore (looks like it might have been in the building that is now Zocalo, but in my memory, that site hasn't been anything other than Zocalo and Mi Cocina for at least five years).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2013, 08:08 AM
 
Location: Hong Kong
1,329 posts, read 822,256 times
Reputation: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I live on the Country Club Plaza (and used to live a building over from the one you picture,in another of the "Poet" buildings, a set of 1920s apartment buildings), but in a rental unit, not one that had gone condo). There are plenty of vintage rehabbed buildings, on the Plaza, and newer construction in adjacent areas.

Again, I would really warn you off relying too heavily on the walkscore information...once again, what you posted isn't completely accurate and is somewhat dated.

I don't know the 19 bus, but the 51 bus has a stop very near that building and goes downtown. On the other side of the Plaza are numerous Max stops, the express bus, right along a main arterial. The Plaza is not challenged, in terms of public transit. The Plaza is also one of the more walkable neighborhoods in town.

There are several parks closer than Loose Park, but they are not listed. I don't know what's up with their groceries category, but this is the second time you've posted something that listed some random business as a purveyor of groceries when it's not...Coal Vines is a pizza place, not a grocery store (absence of a truly walkable grocery store is one glaring deficit of the Plaza, IMO...there are several that are easily driveable, but nowhere to run and grab something quickly on foot). Of the restaurants listed, JJ's no longer exists (as of about ten days ago, though, fairly recent development), having burned down in a huge gas explosion that killed one person. Barumba doesn't appear to exist anymore (looks like it might have been in the building that is now Zocalo, but in my memory, that site hasn't been anything other than Zocalo and Mi Cocina for at least five years).
I appreciate your feedback, and I am happy to have you correct errors from Walkscore.
But I really have no independent way to check the information from Walkscore, so I am posting what I find there, and if it gets corrected - that's fine for me.

It's a good starting point and even if some of the data is inaccurate, since it is better than nothing. But anyone reading what I have posted from there, should be a little cautious when using it.

Even with all the changes, it still sounds like a very suitable neighborhood, for someone who intends to live carfree.

Any thoughts on that exact building. Would you buy there, if you had the cash?
Once owned, how easy would it be to rent out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2013, 08:16 AM
 
Location: Middle America
35,817 posts, read 39,334,463 times
Reputation: 48613
That's fine...I'm just saying that I wouldn't make a lot of decisions based on Walkscore information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2013, 08:59 AM
 
8,792 posts, read 9,617,809 times
Reputation: 6677
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
^However KC along downtown/midtown has more to offer just along that stretch than several small towns he is considering. There is quite a bit along a 75 block stretch along MAX line. There are many people who live in the city w/out a car, including a lot of retired people in my condo. It will be inconvenient w/out a car in some cases, which is true in most cities, including what OP is considering. My brother came from Philly and lived in KC w/out a car for several years on Plaza and in River Market, so did a sister coming from Germany, living on W Side of Plaza. It was doable but they did borrow my car a few times a year. People who are accustomed w/out a car don't think the same way as car dependent people and are generally not interested in suburbia anyway.

BTW, KC has a lot of cabs for its size. There are cab stands in all the city hotspots. Can't easily hail a cab from anywhere but can call from cell and have one in a few minutes in city core.
Its really a mindset.This time last year I was in NYC and had to get into traffic 30-45 minutes to get somewhere a mile or less away on time. Even with all that aggravation I would still not live anywhere with out personal transportation except maybe Seattle or Chicago.
People who don't want the aggravation never drive and never have too. I was surprised when I first met people from NYC who couldn't drive a car. I guess I got too much wanderlust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2013, 10:24 AM
 
Location: Hong Kong
1,329 posts, read 822,256 times
Reputation: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
People who don't want the aggravation never drive and never have too. I was surprised when I first met people from NYC who couldn't drive a car. I guess I got too much wanderlust.
Public transport alternative, including rail, are important to allow people to bet around.

Many folks, like me, think the US needs more rail... and more buses too.

There's plenty more of everything like that outside the US.
Do you see where "the problem" is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2013, 10:24 AM
 
1,830 posts, read 3,109,249 times
Reputation: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geologic View Post
Any thoughts on that exact building. Would you buy there, if you had the cash?
Once owned, how easy would it be to rent out?
One of better condo strips on Plaza near Orange MAX line is here, along Ward Parkway/48th St...
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=W+47t...+Missouri&z=18

Here's a street view down Ward Parkway...
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=W+47t...,87.95,,0,9.91

Is also walking distance to a CVS, Library, Plaza shops/eats/movies and a lot of local neighborhood eats to SE. Some condos are Hemingway, Sulgrave, Regency, Alameda Tower, Kirkwood, Wornall Plaza. Many people live along this strip w/out a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top