U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 02:19 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,112,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioSilence View Post
I lived in MSP (early 2000s) as well.

I have plenty of gay co-workers, which seems to be the norm in television. But they aren't interested in going to gay-specific bars or events. Kansas City is more accepting than people realize.
Yeah, many aren't really into a gay specific culture but KC can completely peg the rainbow meter at times.

These (and a couple dozen others) were completey produced in KC's Xroads district - everything about them locally produced - sets, clothing, production company, etc. This drag king from KC Art Institute hit it big and tours gay clubs around the world. He still produces everything out of KC's Xroads district.

SSION "CLOWN" Official Music Video - YouTube

SSION "WARM GLOVE" - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 10:55 PM

11 posts, read 9,930 times
Thanks to all for your responses. I still have not received my offer but I know it's in process. To xenokc, s davis and kcmo, your comments about buffalo vs minneapolis vs. kansas city are well received. I cannot say anything negative about Minneapolis in terms of overall quality of life, the downtown, and overall progressiveness of the city. The only real negatives are the winter weather and the lack of proximtiy to other urban areas..i.e. when I lived in Buffalo it was very easy to go to Toronto for a weekend or an extended visit. From what I can tell so far Kanasas City seems like one of those areas that no one seems to think of as a good place to live but once they are there is pleasantly surprised. Am I on target?

Old 03-05-2013, 04:36 AM

10,705 posts, read 18,513,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mswheel View Post
Thanks to all for your responses. I still have not received my offer but I know it's in process. To xenokc, s davis and kcmo, your comments about buffalo vs minneapolis vs. kansas city are well received. I cannot say anything negative about Minneapolis in terms of overall quality of life, the downtown, and overall progressiveness of the city. The only real negatives are the winter weather and the lack of proximtiy to other urban areas..i.e. when I lived in Buffalo it was very easy to go to Toronto for a weekend or an extended visit. From what I can tell so far Kansas City seems like one of those areas that no one seems to think of as a good place to live but once they are there is pleasantly surprised. Am I on target?
You are correct. KC is not perfect, no city is. I can be pretty hard on the city at times, but only because I see a lot of opportunity and potential missed there, but I also know the city offers a great metropolitan quality of life that at times is difficult to beat. The city offers "nearly" everything you could want form a major city in an affordable, accessible and uncongested metro.

But you are so right, people out here in the DC area (or anyplace else in the country) cringe when I say I'm from KC or even when I talk about KC. When you get more than about 200 miles from KC, 99% of the population is utterly clueless about KC and imagines it to be old, dirty, small, flat, countryfied with lots of crime (thanks COPS ) in flat, treeless, dusty Kansas somewhere west of Salina with lots of bible thumpers and tornadoes. If you have ever been to Topeka, I think that's what people think KC is, only for some reason this crappy city they imagine has the Chiefs, Royals and BBQ. (the three somewhat positive thing people think of).

In fact, it's a metro area of 2.2 million people primarily in Missouri with a vibrant and interesting urban core set in rolling hills and forests with nice suburbs in MO and KS. While the city is not quite up to par with MSP when it comes to certain things (transit, bike/ped trails, recreation, urban revitalization, regional cooperation, urban universities, NHL/NBA), It easily compares to or trumps most cities its size and offers a ton of things to do, culture etc. The metro itself is NOT in the bible belt (although out state MO and KS can be extremely religious/conservative) and has four distinct seasons (which I like).

And KC is really close to a LOT of the country. It's not near as isolated as people think. I personally think that KC and StLouis are the best places to live if you want to see the rest of the country on a regular basis. In KC, you are just close enough to drive to just about anything from MSP to DFW to the east coast, yet you are also close to Colorado and can even drive out west and the entire country is a cheap 1-3 hour flight. Any other part of the country, you might be close to a few cities, but the rest of the country becomes much more difficult, time consuming and expensive to visit.

You will like KC. Just don't expect anybody from outside of KC to understand how you could possibly like living in "Kansas" .

Kansas "City" is very much a well kept secret despite the problems and shortcomings the area does have.

Last edited by kcmo; 03-05-2013 at 04:58 AM..

Old 03-05-2013, 08:11 AM

I think it's all about expectations. If you want KC to be or want to live in a 1st/2nd tier metro, KC might not work out. OTOH, it has quite a bit for a metro its size - plenty of arts, sports, recognized as a decent foodie town. Is moving forward but not as fast as 'hot' cities. Some prefer that pace over some fast growing cities like Austin, Phoenix, Charlotte, Orlando, etc. Some complain that it's not keeping up fast enough and leave.

Might be surprising that KC attracts a lot of young educated. It tops lists for attracting the most in %. Most come for the IT/tech jobs. KC draws more from large cities outside this side of Midwest than within.

Still hard to say what Google Fiber will do for growth but some compare it to train infrastructure in late 1800s. Might turn out to be a big score for KC.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:52 PM

11 posts, read 9,930 times
I received the offer this morning and it's good. I will let the company know by Monday but I think I will accept it. No doubt I will have more questions as I begin my search for housing and I do appreciate everyone's responses.

It is so true when I talk with friends or family who are not familiar with the city they look at me like I'm crazy and say "but it's Kansas!". I agree it's about expectations, what you make of it, and also that I grew up in very small conservative towns in upstate NY. Moving to Rochester NY in 1980 seemed like the big city to me.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:17 PM

Congrats on the job offer. There are dozens of threads about neighborhoods in city core to search through. Can then check back in for Qs.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
I received the offer this morning and it's good. I will let the company know by Monday but I think I will accept it. No doubt I will have more questions as I begin my search for housing and I do appreciate everyone's responses.

It is so true when I talk with friends or family who are not familiar with the city they look at me like I'm crazy and say "but it's Kansas!". I agree it's about expectations, what you make of it, and also that I grew up in very small conservative towns in upstate NY. Moving to Rochester NY in 1980 seemed like the big city to me.

While KC is smaller than MSP, I'm not sure it feels much smaller because MSP is spread across two core cities. Neither Minneapolis or St Paul feel larger than KC by themselves, although Minneapolis has a more compact and therefore larger downtown where KC's greater downtown area (crown center even the plaza is considered downtown by many is just more spread out).

Anyway, one thing I have learned from all my traveling and living on the coast. I find it far easier to just say you are from Missouri and then quickly follow that with Kansas City. If you just just Kansas City, 99% of the time all they hear is Kansas (which is quite bizarre and kind of annoying). Just an idea. If I'm lazy and don't care that people will assume I'm from Kansas, I will just say KC, but I often do the Missouri thing. Seems to work quite well.

KC is a neat city, you will enjoy your time there. Good luck!

Last edited by kcmo; 03-07-2013 at 02:02 PM..

Old 03-07-2013, 01:59 PM

35,821 posts, read 39,399,524 times
Quote:
Thanks to all for your responses. I still have not received my offer but I know it's in process. To xenokc, s davis and kcmo, your comments about buffalo vs minneapolis vs. kansas city are well received. I cannot say anything negative about Minneapolis in terms of overall quality of life, the downtown, and overall progressiveness of the city. The only real negatives are the winter weather and the lack of proximtiy to other urban areas..i.e. when I lived in Buffalo it was very easy to go to Toronto for a weekend or an extended visit. From what I can tell so far Kanasas City seems like one of those areas that no one seems to think of as a good place to live but once they are there is pleasantly surprised. Am I on target?
I have spent time in Minneapolis (college in MN), and Buffalo (ex hailed from there and had family there whom we'd visit during holidays), and came to KC after having lived in Chicago.

My perspective as a transplant is not so much that "KC didn't seem like a good place to live but pleasantly surprised me" as "KC wasn't on my radar AT ALL, for good or ill, and pleasantly surprised me." For me, having lived in larger urban areas, as well, KC is a great blend of urban amenities without crushing traffic or ridiculous expense. Winters are generally mild with isolated snowstorms now and then, as recently happened this year. It can be a bit humid for my taste in the summer, but it's definitely liveable. Great arts/cultural scene that's getting better and better, and getting more and more notice and acclaim. Wide range of cool neighborhoods, neat history. While Midwestern cities are spread out and more isolated than, say, East Coast cities, it also means that there is access to nature within easy travel time, as well, for those to whom that appeals.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I have spent time in Minneapolis (college in MN), and Buffalo (ex hailed from there and had family there whom we'd visit during holidays), and came to KC after having lived in Chicago.

My perspective as a transplant is not so much that "KC didn't seem like a good place to live but pleasantly surprised me" as "KC wasn't on my radar AT ALL, for good or ill, and pleasantly surprised me." For me, having lived in larger urban areas, as well, KC is a great blend of urban amenities without crushing traffic or ridiculous expense. Winters are generally mild with isolated snowstorms now and then, as recently happened this year. It can be a bit humid for my taste in the summer, but it's definitely liveable. Great arts/cultural scene that's getting better and better, and getting more and more notice and acclaim. Wide range of cool neighborhoods, neat history. While Midwestern cities are spread out and more isolated than, say, East Coast cities, it also means that there is access to nature within easy travel time, as well, for those to whom that appeals.
I agree with this post, however, I would say that living near DC, I have far more access to "nature" than I ever did in KC. KC has some okay lakes nearby, but mostly farms and grass. I guess if you are saying that it's easier to reach nature, I guess you could say that because of traffic, but places like DC seem to offer a lot more urban nature with huge and well utilized green corridors and state parks right in the metro area. You would not believe how busy these places are with people biking, running, kayaking etc and how extensive the urban trails and parks are here. And within an hour or two of the metro you have mountains, bays, oceans etc.

I think this will actually be the one thing somebody from Minneapolis will notice about KC. When they go down to the rivers, they will be about the only ones there (if they can access them) and the urban core (north of the plaza), severely lacks popular gathering places in a recreational way. Penn Valley Park is very under used and under utilized for a large central city park, the rivers are practically off limits and the few parks they have are just not very active with people. Even brush creek is just about ignored in KC when something like that is crazy busy in any other city.

That is the one thing about KC that really bugged me. You can work around it easy enough, but KC is missing that vibrant urban recreation scene you see in nearly every major and mid sized city.

Places like DC, Boston and Philly seem to have nature built into their cities. KC just has not figured out that part of urban planning yet.

Having said that, the city has some places to fill the need. Loose Park, Mill Creek Park, Brush Creek, Trolley Trail, suburban JoCo parks and bike trails, eastern Jackson County lakes etc. But I'm just being honest, coming from MSP, you are likely to often wonder where everybody is at in the urban core on nice summer afternoons. There will be people out biking etc, but nothing like what most major cities have, especially MSP.

Last edited by kcmo; 03-07-2013 at 02:27 PM..

Old 03-07-2013, 02:50 PM

Mill Creek Park off Plaza is about as busy as it can get virtually every evening outside of winter - immigrant soccer, rugby, tai chi, volleyball, some frisbee on bike game, street theatre at fountain. Busy running path every evening. There isn't a warm evening that goes by w/out something going on unless too hot. Always always busy, even the fountain is busy late summer nights, after 10PM, weeknights too.

But downtown parks not there yet - not enough population density.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or