U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2013, 04:02 PM

35,827 posts, read 39,487,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I agree with this post, however, I would say that living near DC, I have far more access to "nature" than I ever did in KC. KC has some okay lakes nearby, but mostly farms and grass. I guess if you are saying that it's easier to reach nature, I guess you could say that because of traffic, but places like DC seem to offer a lot more urban nature with huge and well utilized green corridors and state parks right in the metro area. You would not believe how busy these places are with people biking, running, kayaking etc and how extensive the urban trails and parks are here. And within an hour or two of the metro you have mountains, bays, oceans etc.
I think that it's simply a matter of you and I having different desires/preferences in terms of nature. I'm a farm kid. To me, when I talk nature, I'm talking not being in a city, surrounded by people. Urban parks are cool. But they're not nature to me...they might be to other people, but for me and how I grew up, they're just not...they're still urban. If I can occasionally have dark, starry night skies, empty gravel roads, and can hear crickets at night and no traffic sounds, and no other people around. I'm happy. When I lived in Chicago, I had to drive too far for it to be convenient to get that. In KC, it can take less than a half hour. That works well for me.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 04:04 PM

35,827 posts, read 39,487,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
Mill Creek Park off Plaza is about as busy as it can get virtually every evening outside of winter - immigrant soccer, rugby, tai chi, volleyball, some frisbee on bike game, street theatre at fountain. Busy running path every evening. There isn't a warm evening that goes by w/out something going on unless too hot. Always always busy, even the fountain is busy late summer nights, after 10PM, weeknights too.

But downtown parks not there yet - not enough population density.
I generally run there in the very early a.m., because it's the only way to appreciate it in relative solitude. It's a tad TOO busy for my liking. It's a nice park, but I like it to myself. That requires getting up pretty early in the a.m.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:45 PM

10,709 posts, read 18,547,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I think that it's simply a matter of you and I having different desires/preferences in terms of nature. I'm a farm kid. To me, when I talk nature, I'm talking not being in a city, surrounded by people. Urban parks are cool. But they're not nature to me...they might be to other people, but for me and how I grew up, they're just not...they're still urban. If I can occasionally have dark, starry night skies, empty gravel roads, and can hear crickets at night and no traffic sounds, and no other people around. I'm happy. When I lived in Chicago, I had to drive too far for it to be convenient to get that. In KC, it can take less than a half hour. That works well for me.
Makes sense

Old 03-08-2013, 06:53 PM

27 posts, read 68,998 times
St. Louis is much better than Kansas City.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:41 PM

20,199 posts, read 34,559,931 times
It sounds like you are open to new possibilities and KC may be a good fit for you. I have a feeling you will still like Minneapolis much better, though.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:00 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,154,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by replytodh View Post
St. Louis is much better than Kansas City.
Peanut butter is a lot better than swimming lessons.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:09 PM

11 posts, read 9,950 times
I wanted to provide an update.....I accepted the offer this week and am starting to plan the move. I have tentatively scheduled a trip to look at housing next weekend and am just waiting for confirmation from the company on that. I also found that my temporary housing will be at 909 Walnut downtown, which looks like a very nice apartment/condo, and was actually on my list of downtown housing possibilites to check out for a rental or purchase. If anyone has any opinions or experiences with that location it would be appreciated.

Based on everyone's comments, I think I'll start my search in downtown south through the Plaza, Brookside, and Waldo areas, and look at both homes and condos. No doubt I'll have more questions after my visit next weekend.

One question I have is regarding income tax. From the research I have done I understand that KCMO has a 1% income tax for anyone who lives or works in the city, and there is also a Missouri State income tax of approximately 6%? I'm trying to compare it to what I currently have in MN, which is an overall state income tax rate of over 7%, plus it appears that property taxes are quite a bit higher if you own a home or condo.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:12 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,117,215 times
Is good that you'll have temp living for a while so that you can figure out which area is best for you.

Can't really personally speak to taxes compared to MSP and MN, but here is some cost of living and tax calculators...
State Tax Comparison Table
Cost of Living comparison calculator
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Not sure how accurate they are but your overall taxes and COL should be lower in KCMO than MN. Downtown has higher sales tax than rest of city/metro and property tax is higher along the planned streetcar line. MO in general ranks low-midrange in taxes, MN is top 10 high tax on most lists.

And don't know if Google Fiber is important to you, but here are the hoods getting it first...
https://fiber.google.com/cities/kcmo/#header=check

Last edited by Yac; 03-22-2013 at 08:00 AM..

Old 03-18-2013, 11:39 PM

11 posts, read 9,950 times
xenokc, thanks for all the links, I spent some time checking them all out and can see that that the COL will be quite a bit lower in KC than in MSP. MN and MSP do rank very high in total overall taxes, although I've always thought that we received good services and benefits for the taxes we pay here. However, housing, groceries, dining out, and many other basic costs are still quite higher in Minneapolis.

Yes, Google Fiber would be important. I'm an Internet Banking Product Manager, so I use the Internet extensively, both at home and work.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:44 PM

677 posts, read 1,149,313 times
Congrats on getting the job and welcome to Kansas City!

I think you will like your temporary housing in 909 Walnut, that is a nice building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or