U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 04:12 PM

33 posts, read 37,162 times

Advertisements

Hello again, I was here months ago asking questions, and I have some more.

I'll try to break it down as simple as I can.

I only really understand a few areas:
PnL seems to be the sorority type people from school -- awful top 40 club mixes
Westport seems to bring a college-y crowd. I really enjoyed going out here when I lived here this summer.

I never really went anywhere else, so can you guys elaborate on what the following areas are like:
Union Hill - Almost a crossroads/westport mix
Midtown - seems same as Westport
Crossroads - seems more artsy
River Market - ?

So basically I think I like the crowd and atmosphere around Westport -- I like live music, kinda into the arts, but basically I like to party and be social. But Westport seems "cheaper" than other areas. I have about $1000/month to spend on a place so I think I can do better than what I've seen around westport. So I almost wanna party with a Westport type crowd, but live in a nicer place. River market seems cool as does crossroads, but i have this feeling like it's a little too far north.

I'd like a house with a yard but a nice condo/apartment type thing would be alright.

Note: Now I know that I made some sweeping generalizations, but that kind of stuff helps. So be as politically incorrect as you can when responding to me!

Thank you thank you thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 09:47 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,110,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brohemian View Post
Hello again, I was here months ago asking questions, and I have some more.

I never really went anywhere else, so can you guys elaborate on what the following areas are like:
Union Hill - Almost a crossroads/westport mix
Midtown - seems same as Westport
Crossroads - seems more artsy
River Market - ?
I recall your last thread. Coming from DC area, right? You seem to have the gist of it. Westport or w39th in Roanoke maybe first areas to look based on your interests. Union Hill has a small bar corner with a few good eats but really no other amenities - but it's also along MAX Orange line to get to everything else. Crossroads has a lot of galleries and some good eats, pretty scattered and no sense of nightly street energy like Westport or w39th. River Market is also kind of sleepy but is my favorite hood downtown. Is a good area to be if you like to cook with access to farmers/asian/world markets - and MAX line.

Westport and w39th are more self-contained hoods but not easy access to MAX line, which connects the city core (there are other bus lines through those hoods that don't run as often). You might be interested in Southmoreland too, which is just SE of Westport (East 43rd) - mostly art institute students. Most other hoods that you'd consider are less self-sufficient (IE, lacks a market) but some have MAX to get to other areas. With car, getting everywhere is easy and there is free parking just about everywhere including most of downtown.

Will post this again for context. W39th (aka Volker) is W of Westport near State Line. It does have a 39 bus that connects to MAX.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1238514/pics/bus/maxmwk.gif

Old 03-08-2013, 09:41 AM

23 posts, read 44,617 times
Check housing around the plaza. Much nicer/more expensive housing than what is directly next to westport but you are still right next to westport.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:24 AM

677 posts, read 1,146,024 times
If you want to rent a house with a yard for $1,000 I would look at West Plaza and Volker which are just to the west and SW of central Westport. You can find some little 2 bedroom bungalow houses for rent at about that range.

You could also look for duplexes that have a shared yard. You can find those scattered around the greater Westport/Midtown area.

River Market and Crossroads will be all multifamily apartment buildings with no yard, but if you're looking for a different vibe than Westport/Midtown they would be worth checking out.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:24 PM

8 posts, read 16,212 times
If I were young and looking for a neat place to live in KC, I would look at the Westside neighborhood. It is close to everywhere and has a wonderful vibe, a community garden and some great little galleries and restaurants. (Westside Local is one of the best, but the Bluebird has a great reputation as well.) Diverse spot too, with a charter school, community center and library that all cater to Spanish speakers. Not in the middle of the action, but there are lots of houses- you might find rental possibilities. Someone who prefers Westport to P&L and is looking for a yard might find a spot there.
Good luck! KC MO is a neat place to live if you aren't trying to raise kids and send them to public schools.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:22 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,146,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler13 View Post
KC MO is a neat place to live if you aren't trying to raise kids and send them to public schools.
Or if you are.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:54 PM

Forgot I posted this. Thank you so much everybody!

Old 03-28-2013, 03:02 PM

Ok so basically I think I want Plaza/Westport/Midtown. I have some money to spend so I don't want to live in anything ****ty. As I'm searching through craigslist/etc., what key words should I avoid. Like what is the "independence" or "martini corner" area, for instance?

Also, any realty/landlords to avoid?

thanks!

Last edited by brohemian; 03-28-2013 at 03:10 PM..

Old 03-29-2013, 09:23 AM

677 posts, read 1,146,024 times
Independence is a suburb to the east of KC. With what you're looking for, you will not be interested in Independence. (There is also an Independence Ave, in the Northeast part of KC which you might be seeing. This is also not in the area you are looking).

Martini Corner is a small bar district that is on the southern edge of Union Hill and the northern edge of Midtown around 31st and Oak St.

I'm not sure what key words to avoid, as most listings would try to not use key words that people know are bad. Just be careful about the use of expanded areas, or liberal definitions of areas. Some might claim near Plaza, Westport, etc but not actually be too close.

Old 03-30-2013, 07:51 AM

8 posts, read 16,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Or if you are.
If you really think so (the public schools part) I would love to hear what schools you are referring to. In KC MO that is.

I love living here and raising a family here, but I am lucky enough to manage (barely) parochial school tuition. The others I know who feel the same way have been lucky enough to get into the charters by lottery, but many of them aren't great either. That is where my comment came from. If you have ideas about good public schools in the city, I'd be really interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or