U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 01:41 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,650,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvira310 View Post
What I find is that some people claim they don't care, but they really do. Maybe they're in denial about the fact that they do care.

There is a handful - and only a handful - of posters here who have for years talked about KC having an inferiority complex. They - and only they - are the ones who care. Because they - and only they - are the ones with the inferiority complex.

The vast majority of KC knows what a good thing they have....whether it be in overall life quality, housing bang for the buck, sports stadiums, airport, virtually everything that matters (except summer weather ) and can be realistically compared to other metros. They like what they have and the last thing they need is to convey or convince others of the reasons why.

The 90% of the metro's population that is quite happy with what KC is and has to offer them continues to wonder why those very few of you who keep trying to concoct a "first impression" issue where there is none don't pack up and move to Boston or San Francisco where you can be proud to be utterly miserable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2014, 05:07 PM

481 posts, read 580,940 times
Nice post Vic. KC is a great city and has so many awesome things to offer. I don't love or hate KCI, but what I do know is that it is a convenient airport. All these posts about it being "dreary and dark" makes no sense. Ten years ago, I would have agreed, but since the remodel, it is clean and probably has more natural light of any airport I have been in. Unfortunately there are those on this forum that don't have a thought for themselves and only go with what some of the "senior" posters say. How freaking difficult is it really? You fly in, grab your bags, hop in a cab and you are off to your final destination. Too many whiners on this forum.

And I don't think KC has an "inferiority" complex. All I see now, not only nationally, but locally are KC heart shirts and hats. I think it's mostly the East Coasters that have an inferiority complex.

Old 12-26-2014, 05:15 PM

20,176 posts, read 34,521,341 times
I arrived at KCI recently and one of the biggest issues it has apart from the lack of amenities is the overcrowding that occurs when inbound flights arrive and tons of people are walking in a very narrow confined space due to the design and security. It makes for an unpleasant experience when you constantly have to be watching where you are walking to avoid the crowded pathways.

Old 12-26-2014, 05:29 PM

991 posts, read 723,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post

There is a handful - and only a handful - of posters here who have for years talked about KC having an inferiority complex. They - and only they - are the ones who care. Because they - and only they - are the ones with the inferiority complex.

The vast majority of KC knows what a good thing they have....whether it be in overall life quality, housing bang for the buck, sports stadiums, airport, virtually everything that matters (except summer weather ) and can be realistically compared to other metros. They like what they have and the last thing they need is to convey or convince others of the reasons why.

The 90% of the metro's population that is quite happy with what KC is and has to offer them continues to wonder why those very few of you who keep trying to concoct a "first impression" issue where there is none don't pack up and move to Boston or San Francisco where you can be proud to be utterly miserable.
Forgive me for saying so, but you do sound like you do "care" and you also sound like you can't help but make a few jabs at other cities (like Boston or SF) in perhaps some form of "retaliation" because someone took a jab at your beloved Kansas City. That's twice you've done that, saying that other cities are horrible and miserable. Why?

My impression of SOME folks from Kansas City is that they are a bit too defensive, have a "chip on their shoulder" and are quick to react to any criticism. I see examples of it on this thread.

I do understand that many folks like Kansas City, and that's fine. It's always good to hear that people like where they're living. But that doesn't mean that everybody will love it, or automatically be miserable anywhere else.

Old 12-26-2014, 05:33 PM

941 posts, read 1,006,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shindig View Post
Nice post Vic. KC is a great city and has so many awesome things to offer. I don't love or hate KCI, but what I do know is that it is a convenient airport. All these posts about it being "dreary and dark" makes no sense. Ten years ago, I would have agreed, but since the remodel, it is clean and probably has more natural light of any airport I have been in. Unfortunately there are those on this forum that don't have a thought for themselves and only go with what some of the "senior" posters say. How freaking difficult is it really? You fly in, grab your bags, hop in a cab and you are off to your final destination. Too many whiners on this forum.

And I don't think KC has an "inferiority" complex. All I see now, not only nationally, but locally are KC heart shirts and hats. I think it's mostly the East Coasters that have an inferiority complex.
As has been argued before, KCI is only a convenient airport for locals. It's a very poor design for people (such as myself) that are from out of town.

I also don't understand why it can't be improved upon. Everything gets improved upon over time. Why does KCI have to be stuck in a "time warp" that there is the idea that it is fine the way it is and shouldn't be improved upon?

Old 12-26-2014, 09:14 PM

402 posts, read 300,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post

Boston and San Francisco are "utterly miserable"? I know tons of people from both cities and they all love living there. You are doing nothing but making kc residents sound like country folk that would be miserable living in a large urban city. Do you have any idea how popular and how many people would love to live in Boston or sf?

MCI is a terrible airport, however kc has bigger problems to deal with IMO.

Old 12-26-2014, 09:26 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,520,931 times
Quote:

I respect your opinion and crown vics, but I don't see how you can side with vic on much of anything. Have you followed him at all? I don't think there are too many people out there that are more anti urban and pro anything johnson county than him. I mean, if you seriously have an iota of pride or interest in KCMO becoming or even maintaining its status of a great city, you would not be agreeing with much of what he says. If people had like him had their way KC would be just another Detroit and the metro would be centered around 135th and Metcalf.

I don't know if KC has a complex or not. I do know that the city still has almost no image at all outside of a 75 mile radius and nobody would ever give the city a second thought. The image most have of the city is not great. I have always wanted KC to have a better image and better first impressions. So I guess for that reason, I would say sure, I have a complex. Not because I think the grass is always greener in some other city, but because I simply know what people think of when they imagine KC and it's irritating because I know it's a much better place than people would ever imagine.

But that doesn't mean that some things about the city couldn't be drastically improved and the airport is one of those things. I don't think anybody that travels a lot would set foot in KCI and think the place was recently "updated". Quite the opposite. I hear it all the time. They look around and think it has not been touched since the 1960's. You might think its updated because it does have brighter floors now, but no, it does not feel like a modern post 1970's airport at all.

Don't try to impress people, don't update the airport. Whatever, but I will continue to say the place sucks and I will tell people in advance when visiting to expect a terrible airport experience and to not let that alter there image of an otherwise great city.

Old 12-27-2014, 11:20 AM

941 posts, read 1,006,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I respect your opinion and crown vics, but I don't see how you can side with vic on much of anything. Have you followed him at all? I don't think there are too many people out there that are more anti urban and pro anything johnson county than him. I mean, if you seriously have an iota of pride or interest in KCMO becoming or even maintaining its status of a great city, you would not be agreeing with much of what he says. If people had like him had their way KC would be just another Detroit and the metro would be centered around 135th and Metcalf.

I don't know if KC has a complex or not. I do know that the city still has almost no image at all outside of a 75 mile radius and nobody would ever give the city a second thought. The image most have of the city is not great. I have always wanted KC to have a better image and better first impressions. So I guess for that reason, I would say sure, I have a complex. Not because I think the grass is always greener in some other city, but because I simply know what people think of when they imagine KC and it's irritating because I know it's a much better place than people would ever imagine.

But that doesn't mean that some things about the city couldn't be drastically improved and the airport is one of those things. I don't think anybody that travels a lot would set foot in KCI and think the place was recently "updated". Quite the opposite. I hear it all the time. They look around and think it has not been touched since the 1960's. You might think its updated because it does have brighter floors now, but no, it does not feel like a modern post 1970's airport at all.

Don't try to impress people, don't update the airport. Whatever, but I will continue to say the place sucks and I will tell people in advance when visiting to expect a terrible airport experience and to not let that alter there image of an otherwise great city.
KC wouldn't become another Detroit. Detroit has two new airport terminals, a downtown ballpark, a downtown football stadium, a downtown arena (with a new downtown arena under development) and hundreds of millions of dollars of investment downtown. Oakland County (Detroit's JOCO) has been pretty stagnant development wise for the last 10 years or so.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:46 AM

7,668 posts, read 5,650,332 times
Quote:

To many whiners, indeed. And most of the things they bemoan are among KC's best features. My patience with it has worn so thin that it is next to impossible for me to respond within the TOS, so I'm not going to. Wouldn't do any good, anyway, as has been proven for years on end.

Your highlighted statement is the crux of the problem here. There are one or two who are old enough to know better and the rest are kids just trying to make the "progressive" team, the "cool" team. The team that attacks everything that their parents value. Life will fix what ails them, but it will take another 20 years.

Thanks for your comment and thanks for speaking up as you have recently in challenge of some of the nonsense that there just seems no end to here.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:44 AM

14,174 posts, read 22,518,252 times
Quote:

I think the remodel definitely made KCI look better, but flying in isn't the problem. It's flying out that's the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or