U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 11:04 AM

1,298 posts, read 984,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Here we go again. LAX and MCI should not even be mentioned in the same sentence. It's like comparing KC to Chicago. There is no comparison. You can't compare them. One tiny part of LAX would be busier than all of MCI. I believe LAX has about seven times the traffic. That's SEVEN Kansas City International Airports. KC will never ever ever ever ever have an airport like that. So what is the point of comparing them? For a smallish airport like KCI, it sucks period. Sure, there are some massive airports out there that may have some issues, but I would still rather be stuck in LAX anyway over MCI. If you are delayed two hours at LAX, at least you can easily get a freaking meal.
Actually I don't think luzianne was comparing KC's airport to LA's airport. She was comparing KC's people to LA's people. According to her, everybody hates LAX, but the good people of Los Angeles don't care what everybody thinks. They like it just fine, and they plan to keep it that way.

I would have thought such a tourism-driven city would actually care what impression they give to the outside world. But hey, what do I know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 11:40 AM

10,705 posts, read 18,509,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
Actually I don't think luzianne was comparing KC's airport to LA's airport. She was comparing KC's people to LA's people. According to her, everybody hates LAX, but the good people of Los Angeles don't care what everybody thinks. They like it just fine, and they plan to keep it that way.

I would have thought such a tourism-driven city would actually care what impression they give to the outside world. But hey, what do I know?
Probably like people here in the DC area. People don't care about the airports. It's up the the Airport and or the city to fix, upgrade or do nothing to the airports. People don't really care enough otherwise, they just make note of any changes. However, the city and the airports do care and they are always doing whatever they need to do to make the airports better, more efficient, more user friendly, more airline friendly etc.

And yes, making sure the airport is a good experience for visitors as well as locals is a also a priority for both the airport and the city.

I don't think many cities have to go through what KC is going through where the city and airport have to fight with the residents, especially to "improve" an airport. I have never heard one person here complain about potential changes of any kind to any local airports. They might say "sounds good to me" and that's about it. They certainly don't make a big deal out of how far they have to walk lol.

They just show up for flights and let the city or airport deal with how to modify terminals etc. I think the same is true with LAX. I don't think LAX is bad, actually, I much prefer it over KCI, but I have only used small parts of it. It's a huge airport. You can obviously have a bad experiences at huge airports like that. My point is that most of the problems that airports like LAX, DFW etc deal with don't exist and never will exist at KCI.

KCI should not be in the hands of the residents like it is as the vast majority of voters don't know enough about the issue to really be voting on it. Imagine if every highway or bridge project had to be approved by voters. NOTHING WOULD EVER GET DONE.

Last edited by kcmo; 02-23-2016 at 11:49 AM..

Old 02-23-2016, 12:22 PM

35,821 posts, read 39,387,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatJamIAm View Post
I will politely disagree. I've flown in/out of many airports (Thanks, Army!) throughout the country, and there are some airports that are just frickin' horrendous with children (LAX, JFK, OKC) KCI is not one of them. Because there is security point for a group of gates, it's a lot easier to get to a flight. For example, SeaTac usually has 2 multi-laned checkpoints to get into ALL of the gates and it's like trying to wade through tide of humanity. I've flown sans spouse with all three of younger-set kids in/out of KCI and it's been easy.

The only thing that I do wish would be better are the amenities. Better restaurants would rock, yes, but my biggest beef is that KCI has no USO, yet Ft. Leavenworth, Ft. Riley, and Ft. Lost in the Woods all route soldiers through KCI.
Completely and totally agree (military family with heavy use for that reason, also). It's a piece of cake compared to almost every other airport either my spouse or I have used.

It also never occurred to me that it was such a priority to be able to use the drive from the airport to "impress out-of-towners," though.

Old 02-23-2016, 12:42 PM

12,610 posts, read 14,621,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatJamIAm View Post
After living in Wisconsin for the first 20 of my life, I'm quite done with bucolic scenes of cow posteriors and rolling acres of farmland... Not to mention driving through an hour and a half of more farmland to get from Fort Riley to the outskirts of KCK (minusing out time for Topeka, Lawerence), I'll take civilization and 635.

More power to you for enjoying the scenic route. I'd enjoy it, too, if it weren't for the previous hour and a half of samesuch scenery to get to KC. By the time I get to the outskirts, it's time to fill the empty and empty the full, so having places to do so - and that are are easy in/out - is a must. There just isn't that much on 435 unless you swing around past the airport.
I can't say that I've noticed any cows along the way. I mostly take that route because I grew up in western Shawnee, partly on land that 435 cuts through now, and I enjoy taking a trip down memory lane any chance I get.

When I have something on my mind and need to just think, I drive out to western Shawnee to where our house once stood, where other houses of friends and neighbors still stand, and drive on the same roads I road with my mom and dad on when I was too young to drive. I drive on the street to where my grade school stood. The street is there, but the school is not. A lot is different, but surprisingly, a lot is still the same. I enjoy reliving memories from my childhood in the 60s.

If I hadn't grown up out there, I probably would not care about taking 435!

Old 02-23-2016, 12:45 PM

12,610 posts, read 14,621,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post

KCI should not be in the hands of the residents like it is as the vast majority of voters don't know enough about the issue to really be voting on it. Imagine if every highway or bridge project had to be approved by voters. NOTHING WOULD EVER GET DONE.
That is just ridiculous. Of COURSE it should be in the hands of the residents. If they want the residents' money to fund these things, then the residents should be deciding how THEIR money is spent. If the city council wants to use their own money, then they can do whatever they like.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:32 PM

48,931 posts, read 39,411,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
That is just ridiculous. Of COURSE it should be in the hands of the residents. If they want the residents' money to fund these things, then the residents should be deciding how THEIR money is spent. If the city council wants to use their own money, then they can do whatever they like.
But that's where the ELECTIONS come into play.

There is a balance of course but if you have to put everything up to votes and referendums where special interests can pour lots of money at idiot voters for a pet topic....it's a mess.

Look at California's Prop XYZ....like the one where they just decided to vote for lower car insurance.

Old 02-24-2016, 08:55 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,509,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
But that's where the ELECTIONS come into play.

There is a balance of course but if you have to put everything up to votes and referendums where special interests can pour lots of money at idiot voters for a pet topic....it's a mess.

Look at California's Prop XYZ....like the one where they just decided to vote for lower car insurance.
You can vote for lower car insurance? I would vote for that! Maybe we can vote for lower electric and gas utilities too.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:02 PM

519 posts, read 468,620 times
Yes it does, and after talking to co-workers who reside in the city in Jackson County, they don't want or care about changing it because they frequently use it. Need to sell a new airport on Jackson County residents since they control the city including voting on things in the northland or things they don't use .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or