U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-11-2013, 08:11 PM
 
1,830 posts, read 3,116,495 times
Reputation: 532

Advertisements

It makes sense with all of the airline consolidations. KC's airport is actually pretty big - up to 90 gates. It just doesn't seem so the way it is designed - so that you don't have to haul luggage through a large airport.

Cutting to 60 gates is more than enough given that markets with about 75% more traffic get by with 60 gates. It makes way for the new terminal but hopefully they don't tear down the old one until the new one is fully financed and is a solid go with the Feds.

BTW, the original airport design was fine until security gates were required. They then had to put up walls around the waiting areas - they didn't exist when first opened and you could access the entire terminal. Oddly, KCI makes some lists as most efficient in world. Terrible place to hang out in but great to get in/out of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-12-2013, 10:20 AM
 
Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A.
14,174 posts, read 22,535,436 times
Reputation: 10428
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioSilence View Post
The Kansas City Airport Authority has plans, but is in the middle of an 18-month site evaluation.
OK, thanks for the update!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2013, 10:50 AM
 
1,830 posts, read 3,116,495 times
Reputation: 532
And it seems pretty obvious new terminal will go where Terminal A is. Will be surprising and wasteful to build major new infrastructure to locate it somewhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2013, 08:24 PM
 
196 posts, read 292,617 times
Reputation: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by replytodh View Post
KCMO,

Thanks for the reply. This is my 3rd time visiting KC and I think KC folks are the only people who think the city is moving forward and being progressive. What it takes KC 20 years to accomplish other cities make it happen in 5 years or less.

I have noticed a very stubborn attitude from KC folks. They just don't get it.

Cow town mentality I guess.

You can't get new businesses to come to KC without a train. East and West coast employers/employees who relocate would opt for riding a train over driving a car.

You guys make it easy for KCK and Overland Park to steal/take your revenue. STL doesn't have the revenue problem because Illinois is a dump.

KCMO should place toll-booths at all the major crossing into KCMO on the Kansas boarder since OP & KCK take advantage of the arts, culture, sports, restaurants, airport, P&L, Worlds of Fun, etc. Probably 100K cars cross into MO each day from Kansas. Charge $1.25. It would be $45 Million extra in your pot and you could reduce the tax burden on the MO citizens.

Like NYC. You can't get in to enjoy anything when coming from New Jersey or Connecticut unless you pay. $8 please!!!

Hell Delaware has tolls and it's smaller that Liberty, MO.

Don't cry when all of your major businesses end up in Kansas because of the new tax breaks.

Kansas governor is smart!
So according to your logic, Brownback is the best thing that ever happened to Kansas, KCMO people are stereotypical country hicks (with "cow town" mentality), and people who praise whatever progress the city has to offer are almost always delusional. If that's really what you think, maybe you're not looking at the big picture here.

I agreed 100% with what you said about our airport, which I also feel needs to undergo a serious transformation. That is until you got to this quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by replytodh View Post
What it takes KC 20 years to accomplish other cities make it happen in 5 years or less.

I have noticed a very stubborn attitude from KC folks. They just don't get it.

Cow town mentality I guess.
You make it seem as if the culture/attitudes of the city and its citizens plays a role in the decline of progress (whenever it occurs). Nothing could be further from the truth. I agree however that KC has missed a lot of opportunities as far as business and development goes, and yes the MOKAN state line (taxes and all) has contributed to that. But political and corporate figures are more to blame for that than the everyday, hard-working populous. Not everyone here is happy with the status quo, but at the same time, they can't control it.

Are people here stubborn? Yes (both in a good and bad way), but they are willing to give credit where credit is due when they praise an attribute about our city, even if it doesn't measure up with something you would see in a bigger city. They may not always be right on the money, but it's always refreshing to hear people give fair and reasonable praise. What's ironic is that I hear more people complain about the "inferiority complex" of KC, but you're the first person I heard complain about it's citizens being stubbornly confident.

I know plenty of people here who also criticize (and quite harshly I might add) KC's flaws, like the downtown school district, the roads, the lack of fixed transit, jobs jumping over the state line, and yes even the airport. We're not as flippant about our problems as you might think.

Just offering up some perspective.

Last edited by MidWestCityNative; 03-13-2013 at 08:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2013, 10:43 AM
 
Location: Kansas City North
3,630 posts, read 6,784,529 times
Reputation: 4650
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidWestCityNative View Post
I know plenty of people here who also criticize .... the roads.........
Anyone who wishes to criticize Missouri roads PLEASE go drive in Oklahoma for a while. Never again will you ever say anything bad about a Missouri road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2013, 09:45 AM
 
Location: Middle America
35,827 posts, read 39,473,952 times
Reputation: 48650
The last time I flew out of KCI, they had changed at least the Southwest terminals so that you can now get food and drink inside the gate area, which is an improvement from when I first moved here a few years ago.

I don't mind the airport. It's bare bones, but it's easy to navigate and simple to get to. I could see it being annoying if I were a frequent business flier, but for my needs, I don't really care about the minimal bells and whistles. I don't need airports to be shopping malls. I also don't need them to be in the heart of a metro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2013, 05:32 PM
 
Location: Washington, DC area
10,708 posts, read 18,542,302 times
Reputation: 5420
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
The last time I flew out of KCI, they had changed at least the Southwest terminals so that you can now get food and drink inside the gate area, which is an improvement from when I first moved here a few years ago.

I don't mind the airport. It's bare bones, but it's easy to navigate and simple to get to. I could see it being annoying if I were a frequent business flier, but for my needs, I don't really care about the minimal bells and whistles. I don't need airports to be shopping malls. I also don't need them to be in the heart of a metro.
I don't get this mentality. Just because you don't need or want something, I would hope you can see why a new terminal could benefit KC. Just like transit, bike trails, museums etc. You many not care to improve these things because you won't need them or they won't improve your ability to use them in any way.

But people in KC have got to stop thinking like this and think a bit more progressive and outside their little box.

Again, I use BWI, which has three times the traffic and it is every bit as easy to use with short lines and easy parking as KCI is. The big difference? Southwest added a ton of flights to BWI over the past several years (along with other cities like StLouis and Denver) while staying stagnant (if not reducing service) at KCI.

And the services offered inside the gates at KCI are a very minimal improvement. They are basically nasty little kiosks or portable carts and the bathrooms inside the gates are absolutely disgusting and tiny. And thatís even if they have a cart or bathroom. I know one of the sections of southwest gates has a mini starbucks stand. But it's small, typically has huge line when its open etc. The gates at lower volume airlines donít have anything. If this is what people in KC want visitors to see, then so be it I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2013, 06:25 PM
 
Location: IN
20,197 posts, read 34,552,176 times
Reputation: 12543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Anyone who wishes to criticize Missouri roads PLEASE go drive in Oklahoma for a while. Never again will you ever say anything bad about a Missouri road.
I am familiar with Oklahoma as one of my family members lives there and I have to agree that the roads and highways there are in bad shape, and many of them are turnpikes (toll roads). Tulsa roads are an even bigger joke. You have to wonder where the money goes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2013, 06:56 PM
 
27 posts, read 68,984 times
Reputation: 26
KCMO,

I have to agree with you. Kansas City residents tend to have a small mind about things. I believe this comes from lack of exposure.

It's less about the people who hardly ever fly but more about how visitors see your city.

Trust me there's more in the US and World than Kansas City, MO which most people thinks is Kansas.

Make a name for yourself. St. Louis did.

When most people think of Missouri they think of St. Louis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2013, 12:08 AM
 
Location: Middle America
35,827 posts, read 39,473,952 times
Reputation: 48650
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I don't get this mentality. Just because you don't need or want something, I would hope you can see why a new terminal could benefit KC. Just like transit, bike trails, museums etc. You many not care to improve these things because you won't need them or they won't improve your ability to use them in any way.

But people in KC have got to stop thinking like this and think a bit more progressive and outside their little box.

Again, I use BWI, which has three times the traffic and it is every bit as easy to use with short lines and easy parking as KCI is. The big difference? Southwest added a ton of flights to BWI over the past several years (along with other cities like StLouis and Denver) while staying stagnant (if not reducing service) at KCI.

And the services offered inside the gates at KCI are a very minimal improvement. They are basically nasty little kiosks or portable carts and the bathrooms inside the gates are absolutely disgusting and tiny. And that’s even if they have a cart or bathroom. I know one of the sections of southwest gates has a mini starbucks stand. But it's small, typically has huge line when its open etc. The gates at lower volume airlines don’t have anything. If this is what people in KC want visitors to see, then so be it I guess.
Whoah, slow down. What I said was, "The airport doesn't bother me." And it doesn't. That's all. It really has nothing to do with whether or not I am a "progressive person." Airports are just not of particular interest to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top