U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 08:43 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,111,988 times

Advertisements

Ecodev people and those who travel often in KC understand the need to improve the airport but it is easy to get in/out of. IE, many would rather fly in/out of Burbank than LAX or LGA instead of JFK because they are easier to deal with, so is KCI. Just a terrible place to hang out in because they had to later add walls, which completely screwed up the design.

It's not KC's fault that the airport design was changed after Feds required security gates. It was likely fine before then. Building a new terminal takes Fed help and that's in progress.

Airlines are consolidating anyway and KCI isn't going to get improved flights just because of new terminal. Indy built a new terminal and traffic actually decreased. Nearly all but the top 15 airports likely to take further hits with the airline consolidation going on. KCI is in need of another Vanguard type airline more than a new terminal.

The new terminal will provide more at gate services but will help more with perception than actually increase traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 09:13 AM

23,605 posts, read 30,345,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by replytodh View Post
KCMO,

I have to agree with you. Kansas City residents tend to have a small mind about things. I believe this comes from lack of exposure.

It's less about the people who hardly ever fly but more about how visitors see your city.

Trust me there's more in the US and World than Kansas City, MO which most people thinks is Kansas.

Make a name for yourself. St. Louis did.

When most people think of Missouri they think of St. Louis.
Excellent! Keeps the riff raff far away from SW Missouri along with over-crowding, sprawl, excess traffic, et al.

In general, I couldn't care less about airport amenities. If they allow me to board, fly and disembark at my destination, I'm content. KCI has fulfilled that for us for years.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:48 PM

12,610 posts, read 14,621,137 times
Quote:
I recently flew into Kansas City International Airport and I must say this is probably the worse airport I have ever been in. Although flying over farm land and cows is a lot of fun, I quickly saw why Kansas City should build a new airport ASAP.

Perhaps you should use your Downtown Airport instead of make guest drive a billion miles to the city. Don't use the it's close to water excuse. There are tons of airports near water.

1. No restaurants
2. No stores.
3. Lack of cabs.
4. Lack of buses.
5. No train or light-rail
6. Terminals boarding passengers are cramped.
7. No rental car terminal

And what's up with the little 2 toilet outhouse inside the terminal?

Get it together KC....people actually laugh at your city. Wait... am I in Kansas or Missouri when I'm in Kansas City?

RDH
Cowtown? OH NO YOU DIDN'T! That is a typical comment of people who know NOTHING about Kansas City.

1. There are lots of restaurants within a few miles of KCI.
2. Lots of stores within a few miles of KCI.
3. There are cabs.
4. Buses - well, yeah. No city buses go to the airport. But there are companies the provide transportation to/from the airport.
5. Lots of airports don't have train or light rail.
6. I've been cramped in lots of airports. It is what it is.
7. There are rental cars, just not in the terminal. It's the same at lots of other airports. In Las Vegas you have to take a bus to the car rental places.

I have to say, KCI is much SIMPLER than a lot of airports I've been to. It's not confusing. I love that I can go to my terminal, park right across the street from the gate I am going to fly out of, and check in. When I come home, I get my luggage and go right across the street and get in my car. Yes, I pay extra to park there, but it's worth it to me.

I will talk all day long about how much better Kansas is than Missouri, but an outsider had better not come along and do it! It's kind of like siblings who fight with each other, but defend one another from outsiders.

BOTH sides of Kansas City have their merits. Missouri could charge at the state line? I have had the same idea for Kansas. Yes, Kansans cross the state line to go to the Plaza, Sprint Center, Royals games and Chiefs games. But Missourians seem to like hanging out at The Legends and going to Kansas Speedway and what used to be Livestrong park, and eating and shopping in Johnson County and visiting our parks and trails.

As for comment that people laugh at Kansas City - they must be people who don't know much about Kansas City. Every time I travel somewhere else, I am so glad to get home. I would love to live someplace that is warm year round and someday I may, but only if I can find a place that is everything Kansas City is and more. We don't have mountains. We don't have beaches. We don't have the glitz of New York or Los Angeles. But I wouldn't trade it for any of those things. I live in a place where I don't fear for my life or worry about my kids. There are jobs and people are friendly and except for a few areas in east Kansas City, crime is low. I have lived in the same house for 27 years and not once has anyone tried to break in. I never lock my doors unless I am going somewhere, and it has only been in the last year or so that I've done that. That may be dumb, and I know things aren't the same as 27 years ago, but I feel safe.

RDH - you don't say where you are from and your profile doesn't show it, either. Why do you not say where you are from that is so far above Kansas City?

Kansas City people stubborn? Yes, and proud of it!

And if Kansas City were like St. Louis, I would have to move. If I wanted St. Louis, I'd move to St. Louis. I like how Kansas City is NOT like St. Louis.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:06 PM

27 posts, read 68,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Cowtown? OH NO YOU DIDN'T! That is a typical comment of people who know NOTHING about Kansas City.
I will talk all day long about how much better Kansas is than Missouri, but an outsider had better not come along and do it! It's kind of like siblings who fight with each other, but defend one another from outsiders.

Luzianne,

These are simply my observations. When you fly into Kansas City, MO...the first thing you think is OH SHHHHH....cows.....OHHHHHHH SHHHHH....grass and cows.

Where's the city? LOL

I have to disagree with you. The Missouri side has much more to offer.

So KCK has a Speedway. The track is only active few times a year.

Kansas has LiveStrong Park...oh wait "Sporting Park".

Really Sporting Park as a name. That's original....LOL

Clearly someone in the marketing department missed a few classes on branding. The reason Livestrong was such a good name is because Lance Armstrong did a great job promoting the brand.

Really...Sporting Park

Just busting your chops!!!

RDH

Old 03-20-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Luzianne,

These are simply my observations. When you fly into Kansas City, MO...the first thing you think is OH SHHHHH....cows.....OHHHHHHH SHHHHH....grass and cows.

Where's the city? LOL

I have to disagree with you. The Missouri side has much more to offer.

So KCK has a Speedway. The track is only active few times a year.

Kansas has LiveStrong Park...oh wait "Sporting Park".

Really Sporting Park as a name. That's original....LOL

Clearly someone in the marketing department missed a few classes on branding. The reason Livestrong was such a good name is because Lance Armstrong did a great job promoting the brand.

Really...Sporting Park

Just busting your chops!!!

RDH
Well, I have lived in Kansas City all my life except for college years, and then I wasn't far away. I prefer the Kansas side. I go to a concert maybe once or twice a year, a Royals or Chiefs game maybe a couple of times a year, to the Plaza a couple of times a year, and other than that I have everything I need in Kansas.

Well, since the name of the team is Sporting KC, Sporting Park makes perfect sense. And the place is packed every game, standing room only.

Kansas Speedway - no, not just active a couple of times a year. There are concerts and other things going on there when there aren't races going on. And The Legends is busy all the time.

Frankly, I havent been that impressed flying into ANY airport. When I flew in New Orleans I was wondering if we were going to land in a swamp. Las Vegas just looked all brown and bland flying in. Denver you see the mountains; that wasn't bad. One time we drove from Kansas City, through Oklahoma, New Mexico, panhandle of Texas, to Arizona. OMG. We were struck with how stark the terrain was along most of the way and how lacking in green. It was brown and red dirt. As we were coming back, the closer we got to home, the greener it got. The song "Green Green Grass of Home" was playing in my mind. It really was so good to see it after that long ride (NEVER AGAIN!) through Arizona, New Mexico, Texas and Oklahoma.

Nothing wrong with grass and cows!

Old 03-20-2013, 04:42 PM

361 posts, read 606,149 times
MCI, not KCI.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCSDays View Post
MCI, not KCI.
It's Kansas City International. The airport code when you book a flight is MCI, the name of the airport is still Kansas City International.

Last edited by luzianne; 03-20-2013 at 05:22 PM..

Old 03-21-2013, 10:13 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,000,435 times
I really like KCI, i like how it just right there and you don't have to walk to far. I was just complaining the other day how much walking you have to do at Terminal 3 in Las Vegas or the walking between terminals at Houston. Its nice and all but it looks like a fricking Shopping mall. If I want to get a Coach Purse or some kind of fancy butter cream lotion I will just get that at the Mall not a damn airport.

I never eat at the overpriced airport restaurants.

My favorite airports are probably Portland and Seattle, just the right size.

I have noticed that the more blue collar work travelers like the guy who might have to fly to KC to fix a refrigeration unit or some kind of IT problem at a KC office seem to like KCI because of its convenience and ease while a more seasoned business traveler who is flying once a week really really hate KCI.

Last edited by brewcrew1000; 03-21-2013 at 10:26 AM..

Old 04-03-2013, 04:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,957 times
Default Expansion is not needed

KCI Airport is much better compared to some other airports I've been too. Easy access to get in/out for your flights and to pick up your relatives when they arrive/depart, etc.

I flew into BWI (Baltimore) a few months ago and it was a horrible experience. BWI airport is "consolidated" and a very LONG walk just to the luggage pick up area. We flew on Southwest which is located at the end of the airport. Luggage pickup area was on the complete opposite end of the airport. When you arrive back at the airport to return to KC you have to walk the entire length of it just to get to the Southwest gates.

My husband had to keep driving around the BWI airport because traffic was horrible. It would take him at least 20 - 25 minutes before he could drive back around to where he could pick us up. The Baltimore police won't allow anyone parked at the curb to pick up anyone for longer than 1 or 2 minutes. It was very frustrating!! Ohh.. and this was at "midnight" and the airport was PACKED full of people trying to get their luggage and leave. That experience made me appreciate KCI Airport. You never have traffic problems like that at KCI.

Several years ago I flew into Dallas airport and it was horrible trying to get from area to another. The airport is just too big. Huge airports make it harder on anyone who has any medical issues to walk to get out of it but your medicial issues might not require a wheelchair. KCI is more convenient.

When I returned from my trip from Baltimore to KCI it was so nice to walk off the plane and out of the airport within about 5 minutes. Restroom was close by too. Our ride was able to pick us up within about 5 minutes after circling the KCI parking lot too.

I really hope they don't consolidate KCI into one huge terminal.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:15 PM

904 posts, read 1,589,016 times
Quote:
I recently flew into Kansas City International Airport and I must say this is probably the worse airport I have ever been in. Although flying over farm land and cows is a lot of fun, I quickly saw why Kansas City should build a new airport ASAP.

Perhaps you should use your Downtown Airport instead of make guest drive a billion miles to the city. Don't use the it's close to water excuse. There are tons of airports near water.

1. No restaurants
2. No stores.
3. Lack of cabs.
4. Lack of buses.
5. No train or light-rail
6. Terminals boarding passengers are cramped.
7. No rental car terminal

And what's up with the little 2 toilet outhouse inside the terminal?

Get it together KC....people actually laugh at your city. Wait... am I in Kansas or Missouri when I'm in Kansas City?

RDH
It's an airport..., there's bigger things to cry about in this world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or