U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 09:49 AM

3,625 posts, read 6,761,752 times

Advertisements

There's a letter in the Star today where the writer requests that we no longer say "KC needs a new airport" when "KC needs a new airport terminal" is actually what people mean.

My sister actually landed at MCI in the late 60s - when it was just the TWA overhaul base - due to some sort of problem at MKC and they then bussed everybody downtown. Maybe that's the solution. Just do away with the terminal all together. Pilots do love the N/S runway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 10:00 AM

35,817 posts, read 39,361,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc chris View Post
Completely agree. We aren't Chicago or NYC or anything, why even try to compare? I like KC how it is, laid back, polite, and not full of tourists complaining about everything we enjoy.

I've never had an issue with full parking at the terminals, but I also never fly Southwest, and I never care too. Last week I few into/out of terminal C, parked on the third level ~4 parking spots away from the entrance to the escalators which take you right up to the ticketing/check-in area. The only way I could have parked closer is if I parked on the curb in front of the ticketing/check-in area. The people on the flight behind me were out of townees commenting on the cows next to the runway as we landed, didn't bother me at all.

Some people like the city, some like the country, and KC is a good mix between the two. Not sure why we need to appease people who don't live here by making it into an overcrowded noisy city like where they are from, instead I'd prefer us to be unique.
I love Southwest, fly it almost exclusively, and also have never had a problem with either full parking at the terminals OR a long wait for shuttles to and from the economy lot.

I have absolutely no interest in "convincing" anybody they "should" like a particular part of the country. You either appreciate what's cool in a given place, or you don't, if you're the type to write it off with blanket statements when you really know nothing about the area, it's likely I think you're an idiot, anyway.

Improvement for improvement's sake is fine, but I don't see any point in cities losing their unique character to pander to some notion of what the random out-of-towner's expectations are. That's how we end up with generic, could-be-anywhere garbage like P&L, rather than things that truly reflect the character and history of our city or region.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:08 AM

35,817 posts, read 39,361,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
But why are you always comparing KC's airport to Cincy, Cleveland, etc. I think a better comparison would be Salt Lake City, Denver, Phoenix.... Why put a hub in Cincy when there are 10 other busy airports within 500 miles?

KC's location and geographically huge airport that could easily be a great major airport (sort of the gateway airport to the west).

And it's getting expensive to fly into KC. Prices have doubled in the past two years for flights to KC and I think it has a lot to do with the lack of competition / flights or something there. It used to be expensive to fly into MSP or DEN, now those seem reasonable while KC's prices seem to be rising to third tier city type levels where little choice in flights increases prices. (OKC, Omaha etc).
It is getting exponentially more expensive, which is why I have gone almost exclusively to either just driving or train travel (most of my travel is between Chicago and KC), if time is not of the absolute essence. The cost is such that if it's not absolutely necessary to make the trip very quickly, the airline ticket is hard to justify for that particular jaunt. Amtrak has gone up as well, and anecdotally, I suspect that there is increased ridership due to the cost of airfare to the same locations the Southwest Chief line serves...I certainly have noticed that the train seats sell out much further in advance than they did even a half-dozen years ago, before I moved here and was frequently training it back and forth. It's also possible the trains have gone to fewer cars, I'm not sure. But the cost has for sure increased. Still a better deal than flying, of course, and at times, has been a better deal than driving (thinking of the summer when gas was at the $4/gallon mark).

Old 04-11-2013, 10:11 AM

7,653 posts, read 5,640,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I love Southwest, fly it almost exclusively, and also have never had a problem with either full parking at the terminals OR a long wait for shuttles to and from the economy lot.

I have absolutely no interest in "convincing" anybody they "should" like a particular part of the country. You either appreciate what's cool in a given place, or you don't, if you're the type to write it off with blanket statements when you really know nothing about the area, it's likely I think you're an idiot, anyway.

Improvement for improvement's sake is fine, but I don't see any point in cities losing their unique character to pander to some notion of what the random out-of-towner's expectations are. That's how we end up with generic, could-be-anywhere garbage like P&L, rather than things that truly reflect the character and history of our city or region.
Well said, again. +1

Old 04-11-2013, 04:39 PM

519 posts, read 468,181 times
Someone wrote that KC starting slipping once KCI open, and there's some truth to that. KCI was planned based on TWAs' requirement, at that time, mid 1960, TWA employee I think close to 10,000 people in the metro. KCI opened at the wrong time. The new terminal, should be built on the south side with 40-50 gates. The stadiums should have been built downtown, lot of mistakes made by the city 40 years ago that hurt Kansas City over the years.

Old 12-23-2014, 06:17 PM

519 posts, read 468,181 times
What is the status on a new terminal?

Old 12-23-2014, 07:00 PM

12,607 posts, read 14,613,304 times
Haven't heard anything about it in a while. I still love KCI! I was there twice last week. Easy in, easy out.

Old 12-23-2014, 07:50 PM

402 posts, read 300,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekcmo View Post
What is the status on a new terminal?
I'm not sure I would even call it an airport terminal. Its more like only the concourse portion of most airports (without an actual terminal) only you are stuck in only a few gates with far less bathrooms and restaurants than even the gate areas of normal airports that have terminals.

Its a terrible airport, but no way can kc afford to rebuild it.

Old 12-23-2014, 09:05 PM

12,607 posts, read 14,613,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksider2brooklyn View Post
I'm not sure I would even call it an airport terminal. Its more like only the concourse portion of most airports (without an actual terminal) only you are stuck in only a few gates with far less bathrooms and restaurants than even the gate areas of normal airports that have terminals.

Its a terrible airport, but no way can kc afford to rebuild it.
Well...how many bathrooms do you need? I've never not been able to find an empty stall at KCI when I needed it. And who goes to the airport to eat? I certainly don't.

Old 12-24-2014, 12:24 PM

402 posts, read 300,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Well...how many bathrooms do you need? I've never not been able to find an empty stall at KCI when I needed it. And who goes to the airport to eat? I certainly don't.
That is exactly what I do! When I get hungry, I jump in a car and make my way to the nearest airport!

Look. Malls are for shopping, train stations are for catching trains, sports stadiums are for watching sporting events, and those places all also provide food options and other services you would expect from them. Its no different than almost every "normal" airport in the country and world. Airport food options are extremely popular and often a necessity for busy travelers, traveling families, those delayed or connecting to other flights and airline employees.

Just because you don't need or use those services does not equate to there not being any demand for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or