U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 03:00 PM

941 posts, read 1,004,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksider2brooklyn View Post
That is exactly what I do! When I get hungry, I jump in a car and make my way to the nearest airport!

Look. Malls are for shopping, train stations are for catching trains, sports stadiums are for watching sporting events, and those places all also provide food options and other services you would expect from them. Its no different than almost every "normal" airport in the country and world. Airport food options are extremely popular and often a necessity for busy travelers, traveling families, those delayed or connecting to other flights and airline employees.

Just because you don't need or use those services does not equate to there not being any demand for it.
Not everyone using an airport is from town and knows where to stop off and eat at on the way to the airport, or they are concerned about being to the airport on time and don't want to stop off before they get to the airport, or their flight is delayed and they become hungry while at the airport. Most other airports can accommodate this, Kansas City has an airport that (at least for the secured US Airways gate area) has less food options than the vending machines at my office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 03:47 PM

401 posts, read 299,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztonyg View Post
Not everyone using an airport is from town and knows where to stop off and eat at on the way to the airport, or they are concerned about being to the airport on time and don't want to stop off before they get to the airport, or their flight is delayed and they become hungry while at the airport. Most other airports can accommodate this, Kansas City has an airport that (at least for the secured US Airways gate area) has less food options than the vending machines at my office.
But its a top ten airport!

http://jalopnik.com/setsession?r=htt...3cb-3fac55da11

Old 12-24-2014, 03:55 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,488,746 times
Again, it's fine if flying alone, being dropped off / picked up at curb, not checking bags, had time to eat and use restroom before going, not delayed, not connecting flights, phone fully charged etc, flying during off peak times.

Otherwise it can be a brutal place to catch a flight.

Old 12-25-2014, 03:15 PM

376 posts, read 429,412 times
I flew out of KCI for the first time as a resident at the holidays, so I paid closer attention than the holiday flights I took before I relocated to the area. It was pathetic. KCI is dark, dated, and there are zero amenities. Worst of all, when flights are crowded that holding pen-style gate design is awful.

It's time. Blow it up and build something like John Wayne in Orange County, CA. That airport, which I flew into and out of for years when I lived in that region, has 3 very fast security checkpoints and is very convenient, but also manages to be modern, clean, comfortable and rich in amenities.

Old 12-25-2014, 03:20 PM

7,041 posts, read 5,068,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificwhim View Post
I flew out of KCI for the first time as a resident at the holidays, so I paid closer attention than the holiday flights I took before I relocated to the area. It was pathetic. KCI is dark, dated, and there are zero amenities. Worst of all, when flights are crowded that holding pen-style gate design is awful.

It's time. Blow it up and build something like John Wayne in Orange County, CA. That airport, which I flew into and out of for years when I lived in that region, has 3 very fast security checkpoints and is very convenient, but also manages to be modern, clean, comfortable and rich in amenities.
I'm sure Kansas City has a couple billion laying around for a new airport to replace one that is fully functional if not state of the art:

https://people.hofstra.edu/geotrans/...dairports.html

Old 12-25-2014, 06:19 PM

519 posts, read 467,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksider2brooklyn View Post
Yep, you don't read anything anymore about KCI being such a great airport, the city knows it sucks and they know it has sucked for the last 40 years.

Old 12-25-2014, 08:15 PM

991 posts, read 721,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I also agree with the first impression thing, but that is something most people in KC don't seem to get. Just like keeping the baseball stadium where it's at. Metro residents are not interested in "impressing people" and trying to overcome the absolutely terrible cowtown image that KC does have and after living on the east coast for over four years, I think the image of KC is much worse than even I had imagined. It's just been too long since the rest of the country has seen the urban side of KC and I think more people think the city is in Kansas now then they did before the internet because the city is so out of sight and out of mind nationally. In the 1950's, KCI was downtown, the ballpark was downtown, KC was a huge convention city and had a busy center city and KC area people didn't run around the country in KU clothing (had to get that in). KC people should want people to think positively about KC. The way it is now, very few people outside of KC have even an iota of interest in visiting KC because its image is so screwed up or not known at all and they are missing out. And what's wrong with getting people to take 29 through the city to reach the stadiums, overland park etc rather than the long treck thru the middle of nowhere via 435. KCI to Kauffman Stadium via 435. Other than farms, you might see a few houses and some junk yards along that entire 40 minute drive. Nice!
I'm agreeing with this too.

First impressions matter a lot, and I've experienced some bad first impressions (and second impressions ) of the KC area and it seems like some of the residents (SOME) are in denial about it.

Old 12-26-2014, 01:15 AM

83 posts, read 77,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
I'm sure Kansas City has a couple billion laying around for a new airport to replace one that is fully functional if not state of the art:

https://people.hofstra.edu/geotrans/...dairports.html
Actually there were several billion dollars left over after the sewer system was fixed. Oh, wait, that hasn't been done yet. No, the money isn't just laying around. In fact most cities that take on infrastructure projects like this, absolutely don't have billions in cash laying around... they have to be raised through a combination of new tax revenue, bond measures and partnerships. I think there were considerable funds made available for Cerner? I'm certainly not sold on that one either. I won't even mention the money Kansas is throwing at building projects that have absolutely NO chance of paying out. KCI definitely needs a new terminal for many reasons, but I'm not sure where I would put it on the priority list. I think it's worthy of a serious debate at the least. You have to be willing to spend money on the right things in order to have sustainable growth in tax revenues. If KC as a whole is happy in keeping it's growth slow in all measurable variables, then by all means do not touch the airport. It's perfectly efficient for that scenario.

Old 12-26-2014, 07:00 AM

87 posts, read 200,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvira310 View Post
I'm agreeing with this too.

First impressions matter a lot, and I've experienced some bad first impressions (and second impressions ) of the KC area and it seems like some of the residents (SOME) are in denial about it.
I don't think anyone is in denial about it. I think most folks don't care. When I lived there I didn't care about what anyone thought about the city. I have been to most major cities on the eastern seaboard and I have had rotten 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th impressions of every single one of those cities. Especially Washington and Philadelphia. Miserable people, ugly city and rotten highways.

Old 12-26-2014, 12:44 PM

991 posts, read 721,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grim Reaper View Post
I don't think anyone is in denial about it. I think most folks don't care. When I lived there I didn't care about what anyone thought about the city. I have been to most major cities on the eastern seaboard and I have had rotten 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th impressions of every single one of those cities. Especially Washington and Philadelphia. Miserable people, ugly city and rotten highways.
What I find is that some people claim they don't care, but they really do. Maybe they're in denial about the fact that they do care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or